Thursday, November 21, 2019

The Lost Gypsy Caravan

November 18th, 2019

While traveling you sometimes run into random places that just blow you away, and the Lost Gypsy Caravan was one of those places.  The small parking lot was full when I pulled in so I knew I was on to something good.  At the front of the property was an open air, funky little café and on the other side, a big modified truck/bus/caravan with the words “Lost Gypsy Gallery” written across the side.  A sign indicated that if you wished to enter the grounds to head into the bus to pay.



I walked up the cement steps with all kinds of coloured glass and trinkets embedded in it and stepped into a fascinating space.  The walls were covered in all kinds of stuff ranging from interesting pictures, various forms of currency, printed circuit boards, CPU fans covering a yellow stain glass window and on and on.  On shelves and small tables were a variety of little “automata” as the owner Blair calls them…little toys or inventions that were usually labelled with a name and instructions on what to do such as turn the crank slowly in a counterclockwise direction or push a button.  There was a model railway track running along the wall about 5 feet up and the little locomotive was labelled “Thought” (I’ll let you figure that one out.  Fascinating place, and this part was free.  I was very intrigued to see what was awaiting me in the main section that you had to pay $8 to enter!

Inside the bus:


I was amazed that he even had Canadian Tire money on the wall!

Blair was in a little side room in the caravan just sitting down for lunch with his grilled cheese sandwich.  I left him alone for a bit as there was so much to take in.  Eventually I gave him my eight bucks and headed outside and through a gate.  The theme continued with various contraptions that you would activate by cranking or pushing something or other.  

Enter if you dare...

"Fine Acts of Junk"...I like it.

Of course I had to press it!



Dubya's Proverbs (sorry for the sideways filming):
Seashell fountain:
What curiosities await inside...

Water vortex:
Pinochio's Awkward Adolescence:
Shocking!

Ping Pong Meccano Action:
Flying Seagulls

Something's lurking in the garden!

A game of Fuzzball anyone?


Live to Ride...Ride to Live!

I have to say that I really got a kick out of this place.  It will be one of one of my more memorable stops in New Zealand!

No comments:

Post a Comment