Saturday, November 16, 2019

Hiking Herbert Forest


November 15th, 2019

After the Air Force Museum yesterday I headed south and stayed a night in Timaru, a small city of 29,000 people.  It was a nice, small parking lot by the ocean although I was disturbed by the noise of a local in his car playing some loud music at 2am but that is to be expected at these urban freedom camping spots.  The next day I headed further south, through a smaller town called Oamaru (all these Maori names…I like it but don’t always know how to pronounce them although this one was easy).  Continuing on I headed to Herbert Forest to go for a hike.  I had read that there were some old growth trees in this forest and that you’d get a glimpse of what a lot of the east coast of the south island used to look like before Europeans settled there, razed the land and starting ranching sheep and cattle.

I arrived around noon and the map stated that the big loop would take 4½ hours.  Hmm…maybe that’s a bit much.  There was a 1½ hour “Swallow’s Track” that did a section of the big loop so I started with that.  I was shocked that within 20 minutes I was halfway through that circuit.  Hmm…maybe I’ll press on, there’s mention of a waterfall so maybe I’ll hit that then backtrack.  Perhaps I got it wrong, but it looked like the waterfall in question was all of a foot and a half high.  Again, it hadn’t taken me long to get there either so I decided to press on.



The trail snaked along a little creek and even though it was a sunny day it was cool and shaded so I hardly broke a sweat even though I was hiking at a moderate pace.  It seemed to be a temperate rainforest with ferns and lots of other vegetation.  I decided I was all in, let’s do the big loop.


Halfway through, which only took me an hour and a half, the trail spilled onto a logging road for a bit.  The view wasn’t as pretty as part of it was clear-cut.  At the trailhead for the next section, there was a warning that there was a 5 meter ladder on this trail.  Oh no!  A 5 meter ladder, sound scary…  The next section had more of a coniferous forest feel to it but it was still lovely.  The whole hike birds were singing and chirping away, can’t blame them, what a paradise for them.

Some of the clear cut:



The scary 5 meter ladder:

The waterfall beside the ladder:

The last section broke back out onto a road and it looked like this area had just recently been logged.  What a contrast.  The lovely forest to this devasted land.  What we humans do.  I hope and assume that they replant trees here as we do in Canada .  Doing a quick search on the Internet they are doing it, but they are having a toughtime finding tree planters.

The clear cut:

In the end it took me 3 hours to do the big loop.  I definitely enjoyed the hike but I wish they would put scales on the maps.  So far all maps I’ve seen for hikes just tell you how long it will take.  Well come on, everyone goes at a different pace.  All in all, though, a lovely afternoon.

I headed to a freedom campsite by the beach but the wind was just blasting, even though the spot was behind a big dune.  I hadn’t noticed any wind as I left Herbert Forest so I took a look on CamperMate and opted to go for a New Zealand government campground which usually costs $8 per person.  As I pulled in, I noticed a group of young locals, in their early 20s, and the party was already on.  Hmm…that kinda ruins the atmosphere but I somewhat lucked out and found a spot the other side of some bushes, about as far away as I could get from them and decided it would do for the night.  There was a lovely little river nearby so I was able to wash and sooth my feet after the hike.  I met a nice German couple, Leo and Fabia, and we played some cards later that evening which was fun.

My setup for the night:

The lovely river:

Oh hello Kingfisher...we meet again!  This one tastes much better than the ones in India as it is brewed in Australia.

1 comment: