Sunday, November 10, 2019

Meandering the Coast of Port Underwood


November 7th, 2019

Near Picton is a sheltered collection of bays known as Port Underwood.   Of course I had to go check it out!  Looking at Google Maps, it looked like quite a windy road but that’s part of the adventure right?  It did not disappoint.  There were some stunning view and some gorgeous, quiet little bays. 




The drive was a little more than an hour but I probably averaged around 30 km/h so I did end up too far from Picton but that was actually the plan.  The first freedom camping spot was Robin Hood Bay and it looked fabulous.  There was only one other car there when I arrived although 4-5 more arrived later in the afternoon.  I sat on the rocky beach for the latter part of the afternoon reading a book with just the sound of the waves, oh and that pesky wind at times…I had to return to Betty a couple of times to put on more clothes!

The start of Robin Hood Bay, I camped at the far end.

Where I read my book.

The view from where Betty was.


The couple in the first car was a Colombian artist Diego who has lived in Australia for many years and his German girlfriend Marina.  In the evening Diego lit a small fire on the beach and a young English couple Ally and Emma joined us.  It reminded me of many nights camping on the west coast of Vancouver Island.  Nice way to end a relatively chill day.

No comments:

Post a Comment