Saturday, November 2, 2019

Betty 2.0 & Freedom Camping


In 2010 I quit my IT job of 13 years and set out for a couple of years of traveling around the world with my paraglider (a couple turned into almost 5 but that’s another story that you can read about in earlier entries).  I briefly stopped in Iceland before heading to my cousin’s place in England where I set about buying a campervan to cruise around Europe in.  I bought a Ford Transit with a raised roof and decided to call it Betty after US President Gerald Ford’s wife who started the Betty Ford Centre for alcohol and other drug addictions.  I figured that if I had major problems with this van that it might drive me to drink…somewhat turned out to be true as boy did I have problems with Betty.  To prove it, here’s a picture of me where the engine should be!  An amazing French couple helped me change out the diesel engine in their backyard over a week and a half.




Coming to New Zealand, the plan was to buy a camperized van, or self contained as they are known as here.  There is this thing called “Freedom Camping” in this country where your vehicle has to be certified as such with a sticker on the back.  A big stipulation is that you must have a toilet, a porta-potty will do, and a new rule coming into effect is that you must be able to actually sit on it inside your vehicle so having a station wagon with a potty isn’t going to cut it.  That being said, as I scoured a Facebook group for vans prior to coming here almost every vendor stated that the toilet was unused as it was quite easy to find public toilets wherever you went.  With the help of an app called CamperMate, you can easily find free or low cost campsites where only self contained vehicles are allowed.  What a cool idea.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I found a Toyota Hiace for my “home” in New Zealand.  My first day with Betty 2.0 I spent the majority of the day shopping for bedding, kitchen items and essentially kitting her out.  I finally pulled out of Auckland after 4pm and headed south an hour and a half for my first experience of “Freedom Camping”.  Surprising to me, it was just an area outside of a small town’s rugby club.  Half a dozen other vans were already there and I found a flat area to park in the grass.  There were toilets and even a shower and a sink to wash your dishes…all for free.  It was a peaceful night, quite a contrary to my first night with the original Betty in a stadium parking lot in the city of Reims where suspicious cars came and went throughout the night (I suspected either drug dealing, prostitution or bother were happening).

Betty 2.0 at the rugby grounds:
The interior:

At the bottom of the statue it says "If you are feeling sad, just think of Jimmy" (the guy who sold me the van).


How cool is this Freedom Camping!  We don’t have this in Canada that’s for sure.  I look forward to many more Freedom Camping nights in the months to come.

1 comment: