Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Cannibal Bay & Nugget Point Lighthouse

November 18th, 2019

Last night I stayed at a pretty nice spot called “Hillside View” run by a guy named Kev.  It was $10 per person which was well worth it with a nice grassy flat area, a kitchen made from a couple of small converted shipping containers and hot showers (which were $2 per 4 minutes but that was also well worth it).  It was a peaceful setting with some cows and sheep just over the fence from where I parked.

Not too far away from Kev’s place was an abandoned railroad tunnel that looked worth checking out.  As I arrived in the parking lot I noticed a couple of sheep ducking under the fence into another field and then the escape was on!  One after another they crept under, leaving some of their wool on the fence which will at least make it easy for the farmer to know where repairs are required.

The Great Escape:
I stopped them in their tracks...

The tunnel was constructed by hand in the late 1800s.  Incredible that it was dug out solely by pickaxe, shovels and wheelbarrows, plus all the bricks that were laid, and it’s 246 meters long!  What a lot of work for 70 or so men.  The railway line was primarily for the transportation of lumber and perhaps they didn’t manage the forests so well as by 1971 the industry was finished and the line decommissioned.  Pretty fun to walk through now though.

The exit looks pretty far away...

Afterwards I headed towards Nugget Point Lighthouse but saw a sign for “Cannibal Bay”.  Well how can that not entice you.  I wondered how it got its name.  The gravel road leading some 7 km down to the bay had great views and lots of sheep (par for the course in this country).  Looking on the CamperMate app, there was a good chance of seeing sea lions resting on the beach in the daytime.  As I walked onto the sand there was a big brown blob some 400 meters down the beach and sure enough, he was having a good snooze.  What caught my attention even more though was further down there were two seals who were playing in the surf.  It was so cool to watch them frolic in the water and catch the occasional wave, riding it just below the surface.  Further still down the beach was a sea lion just exiting the water, ready for his repose.  Also fun to watch.

 Dreamland
Seals playing in the surf.
A sea lion coming ashore.
As I drove on to the lighthouse, I decided to listen to one of many podcasts that I had downloaded a few weeks ago for such occasions.  Without even thinking, and I didn’t even clue in until I was 15 minutes into the podcast of “Stuff you should know”, I realized that I had picked the topic of “Survival Cannibalism”!  Funny how the mind works.

The lighthouse is at the end of that peninsula.

The lighthouse is situated on a steep promontory and as I pulled into the fairly full small parking lot, the heavens opened up.  Hmm…do I wait it out or just move on.  Well this spot was supposed to be something good and after 10 minutes the precipitation abated a bit.  Let’s do it.  As I walked the 900 meter trail to the lighthouse the conditions improved even more and I no longer needed my umbrella.  The lighthouse was built in the 1800s and like most lighthouses around the world, it is fully automated now.  It was relatively diminutive but what attracts people here was just a little further along.  A few hundred meters below was a collection of jagged rock islands that were fantastic.  This is a place where you want to be a bird…seagulls were soaring about and many of them were nesting on a few of the larger islets.   Beautiful!






A dream come true...
Sometimes dreams become reality.

I stopped at a pretty waterfalls too called Parakaunui.

Whoops...had it on video mode.  The actual selfie didn't turn out well.
From there I continued on to the next Campermate suggestion, the eclectic Lost Gypsy Café.  But that place was so interesting and cool…that it requires its own blog entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment