Saturday, November 16, 2019

Otains Bay to Coes Ford


November 13th, 2019

Today was just a travel day although I took any scenic route I could as the Banks Peninsula is full of fantastic vistas.  I took my time leaving Otains Bay, doing some yoga and jogging on the beach then making a nice breakfast (gotta take advantage of having a toaster in a paid campground!).  As usual, the drive was gorgeous.

Betty 2.0 at my camp spot at Otains Bay:

I stopped for a short hike up an interesting little geographical feature which I noticed on my way to Otains Bay the day before.  There’s a little land bridge over to a small peninsula and the land bridge has a few little rocky humps, almost making it look like the Loch Ness monster, or in my region in Canada, the Ogopogo.  It was a nice little walk.

Some interesting rock formations: 


From the high point looking back over the isthmus towards Betty.
I left the Banks Peninsula and headed for a Freedom Camping spot called Coes Ford.  There were 3 different camping areas and a river running between them.  Nice place.  I noticed a funny looking truck that had a homemade ramshackle house on the back of it.  Then I saw another, and yet another.  Two of them had signage on the back including what looked like a chalkboard, advertising where their next carnival show was at.  Carnies must love this Freedom Camping in New Zealand.  I parked near the river with my nearest neighbor about 100 meters away, although there was a feral chicken wandering around my area.  It was a nice and peaceful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment