Monday, November 4, 2019

Forgotten World Highway


On recommendation from Nicola and Ken from my Waitomo Cave adventure group, I decided to take Highway 43 down towards Mount Taranaki which was also known as the Forgotten World Highway.  I didn’t really ask why but both of them told me separately that that was the way I should go…so I did.  And what a drive.  Very windy in parts but some great views and interesting terrain.  Part of it was unpaved and looking at Wikipedia it says it would cost $7 million to pave it (or seal it as they call it here) and it also states that it is one of the top 10 worst roads in New Zealand!  Super.

It was slow but well worth it.  I’ll let the pics do the rest of the talking.




I thought that was Mount Taranaki in the background but actually it was Tongariro which I will likely visit on my return to the North Island.

I could have taken a better pic...but the sign says "Hobbit Hole".

There is a railway track running through the middle there.

Love the train signs.

There is Mount Taranaki.

Looking good Betty 2.0!

This was my spot for the night by a tiny lake outside New Plymouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment