Friday, December 13, 2019

Mount Cook Air Safari

December 9th, 2019
I woke up around 6:30 am to a glorious looking day, better than had been forecasted.  I had planned on spending around 3 days in the Mount Cook (also known by its Maori name as Aoraki) with a few hikes in mind and I had contemplated splurging on a 50 minute sightseeing tour aboard a small plane.  It was $395 NZD (about $350 Canadian), so the priciest activity so far on my trip but I figured it had to be done.  I had envisioned that it would be the following day as it had the best forecast but from Lake Pukaki I was closer to the aerodrome then the Mt. Cook campsite, where I was headed next, and the conditions were perfect so why not do it now!  I fired up my laptop and amazingly was able to book for the 9 am flight, in two hours time.

Good morning Mt. Cook!

Heading to the aerodrome:

Arriving at the small aerodrome I entered Air Safaris building.  There were just a few ground crew behind the counter and when I mentioned that I was booked for 9 am, I was told that that wasn’t going to happen.  “Let me check what we can do”, the 30 something year old Japanese lady said.  I was thinking that I wasn’t going to be flying that day and might have to return tomorrow or the next day.  “Is the 11 am flight okay?”  Absolutely.  It turns out that for the past few days, since the weather was not good for the sightseeing tours, they had been using the planes to fly stranded travellers to Christchurch due to that washed out bridge north of Timaru that I mentioned about in my last post.  They were only now starting to resume normal activities.


I headed into Lake Tekapo, just a few kilometres away, to kill an hour and a half which was actually great in that with the nice weather, the views were much better than the previous couple of days, I saw the place in its glory.

Lake Tekapo in the sun!


The Cessna Grand Caravan, a 14 or 15 seater plane, arrived a bit late from it’s 10 am run so we stepped out on to the tarmac around 11:30.  There were a few couples, two older ladies, a German couple with their 3-4 year old boy…and me.  The young captain Justin, probably in his late 20s or early 30s, stood up on the small moveable stairs by the rear door and introduced himself and asked us to stand in our groups.  I had looked at the flight plan and figured that sitting on the left hand side of the plane should be the best for the views.  The pilot, Justin, told me to step onboard first since I was alonge and go to the front of the plane.  I climbed the stairs and in a bent over position walked towards the front.  “Sit on the right” Justin said.  Damn I thought, there goes my plan.  “In the co-pilot’s seat” he added.  Sweeeet!!!

Our ride:

Looks easy doesn't it?

Your new co-pilot ladies and gentlemen:

He loaded the rest of the passengers including 3 last minute arrivals so it was a full flight.  I got to put on the headset for the flight, so I was able to hear all of the radio transmissions, Justin’s announcements to the passengers plus talk with him one on one.  The take off was exhilarating.  So cool to look out the front window while accelerating down the runway…reminded me of going for a flight in a small plane with my friend Marius in Victoria last May.

Take off:
We began by flying over Lake Tekapo and its lovely turquoise blue waters.  It was neat to see some small lakes beside that were dark blue as they came from springs and not glaciers, great contrast.  We cruised over the Godley River at about 4500’ which was carved out by a glacier and the shingle valley floor is over 2 kilometres wide and is criss-crossed by river channels.  Near the end of the valley I noticed a long private airstrip with a big house nearby and some big grassy fields.  I asked Justin about it and he said he’d tell the rest of the passengers too, so he switched to the intercom and mentioned that it was one of New Zealand’s most remote sheep farms, accessibly by ATVs over riverbeds but when the waters rose, only by plane.

Lake Tekapo shortly after takeoff:
Hmm...can you tell which one is man-made?





Near the end of that valley we continued to climb up to 6500’ as passed between a few mountain ranges and over the Murchison glacier, New Zealand’s second longest glacier at 16 kilometres in length.  Next was the head of the longest glacier, the Tasman which is 29 kilometres.  Crossing what is known as the Southern Alps, we saw some of the Franz-Josef glacier, a popular destination spot when travelling up the west coast of the island.  Unfortunately, low cloud had rolled in and we couldn’t see the coastline.

A recent dusting of snow on the top of the mountains:


I almost look like I know what I'm doing!



Near the end of that valley we continued to climb up to 6500’ as passed between a few mountain ranges and over the Murchison glacier, New Zealand’s second longest glacier at 16 kilometres in length.  Next was the head of the longest glacier, the Tasman which is 29 kilometres.  Crossing what is known as the Southern Alps, we saw some of the Franz-Josef glacier, a popular destination spot when travelling up the west coast of the island.  Unfortunately, low cloud had rolled in and we couldn’t see the coastline.


Cruising along the mountaintops:



Then it was time for the big boys.  First there was Mt. Tasman, known as a classic ice climb and standing tall at 11,475 feet and the second tallest mountain in New Zealand.  Right next door was the reigning champion, Mount Cook standing tall at 12,316 feet.  It was stunning.  It is by all accounts a “good looking mountain”.  It looked fantastic yesterday from the campsite and it looked even better close up.  Lots of snow covered the top section and the bits of shear rockface where snow had no chance to cling onto, looked ice encrusted.  I said to Justin “I can’t believe people climb that, especially the first ascent in 1894 with the equipment and clothing they would have had.”  “I know, I think of that pretty much every day I’m up here.” 
Mount Cook up close:

Stunning!

 More Mount Cook:


Earlier in the flight I had told Justin that I’m a paragliding and hang gliding instructor and pilot and he mentioned that he flew dragonflies, a small ultralight commonly used to tow hang gliders.  As we left the big mountains and started to head back to the aerodrome, small disjointed cumulus clouds were forming and we started to get rocked around by the thermals that were generating them.  He announced to the passengers that it would be a little bumpy for a few minutes but nothing to worry about and it wouldn’t last long.  I was thinking in my head “This is the good stuff!”.  Justin said he had a hang glider pilot in Queenstown that was going to try and make it to Lake Tekapo today…he’s got a chance!


Just like the takeoff, having the front seat for the landing is awesome.  The plane curved in and lined up with the seemingly narrow runway from my perspective but Justin landed it like a pro.  He’s been flying since he was 15, and it shows.

Lining up for final approach:

Nice landing!
I had mentioned to him during the flight that a tandem paragliding passenger of mine a few years ago said after the flight “Life is about experiences, and this is one of those experiences!”.  Well I felt the same today…this was one of those experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment