Monday, December 2, 2019

Hiking Key Summit

November 24th, 2019

After yesterday’s awesome boat ride on Milford Sound, it was time to check out some more of the area but by foot this time.  I chose to hike the Key Summit which is part of a longer “tramping” trail known as the Routeburn Route, a 32 kilometer trail with a number of huts along the way.  The sign stated that the hike was about 3 hours return but yet again there was no detail as to the actual distance or elevation gain (a pet peeve of mine).

The view from my campsite in the morning:


Looking good Betty 2.0!

Gunn Lake, just north of the Cascade Creek campsite:

The trail was quite well maintained and the grade was easy yet steady.  I started around 10 am and it was cool in the shade under the trees and it started on the south side of the mountain so the sun wasn’t shining down on that part of the hill (I’m still getting used to the sun being to the north!).  Occasionally there was a glimpse of some of the mountains that I had seen yesterday on the drive to Milford Sound…stunning.


Eventually the trail popped around to the west side and climbed above the treeline although there were still some 3-4 feet tall shrubs.  The late morning sun felt good as the path began to switchback up to the summit.  What a view…everywhere you looked!  There were a few boardwalks as the high alpine terrain was covered in sensitive mosses and small ponds.  At the end of the trail was a view of Lake Marian, a tarn in a cirque…yes, some good geology lessons to be had! 

On the way up:

At the summit:
 Ya Baby!

 A view of Marian Lake...tough to see in the video but it is a lake right in the middle of all of the big rock walls.


Interesting stunted trees at the top.
It was a fantastic place for lunch and then it was time to descend.  There were a lot more hikers, some in large guided groups, coming up the trail so I was glad I had started early.  I returned to Deer Flats, the campsite I stayed at two nights before and had a lovely afternoon in the sun and even jumped in the chilly river…more for trying to get clean than for enjoyment!

Betty 2.0 happy back at Deer Flats.


Sunset views.

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying living vicariously through your blog Dave. See you this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry...in the next post you'll see I finally get in the sky with my paraglider!

      Delete