Saturday, December 21, 2019

Arthur's Pass

December 14th-16th, 2019
December 14th was pretty much a travel day.  From Lake Hawea I deked into Wanaka for one more round of disc golf.  I didn’t play nearly as I did the day before with Oscar but it was still fun.  I got on the road around 12:30 and retraced my steps, passing near Mount Cook, through Lake Tekapo and then further north on the inland scenic highway stopping around 5:30 at a Freedom Camp at a spot called Taylor’s Stream.


Taylor's Stream campsite:
The next day I hopped onto Highway 73 which is also known as Arthur’s Pass.  The highlight stop of the day was Castle Hill Limestone.  Strewn across a couple of hillsides were these massive prehistoric looking limestones, some bigger than a house that seemed to jut out of the ground.  It was almost like Stonehenge meets Easter Island but no humans were involved.  Rain clouds were threatening but luckily it held off for the half hour that I wandered around.

Two different ways to make bridges:



The limestones:



That's a person standing on the top:

That's the path I walked along to get to the stones, you can just make out the parking lot.






Not a bad timer shot with the phone propped up by my backpack.




Soon the precipitation did start to fall from the heavens and it was only mid-afternoon.  I decided not to press on to the coast as the cloud level had dropped and I was sure I would miss some good scenery so I drove to a free camping spot known as Andrew’s Shelter.  It was about 10km off of the highway, across a small bridge and along a gravel road.  It was the starting point for some hiking trails so there was a building with just some benches inside but big enough that hikers could sleep and cook in it if they had too during inclement weather.  There was no one else around but the spot looked good to me for the night.  Later another van did show up with a couple of younger women.  By this time, thanks to the combination of rain and the bigger factor of a swarm of sandflies, I didn’t exit Betty 2.0 until the following morning so I never did meet them.

The weather was definitely nicer in the morning so I was pleased with my decision to stop the previous day.  Nice mountains, rivers and forests to enjoy as I cruised down the highway.  I stopped for a short half hour hike to a river just after the small hamlet of Arthur’s Pass, the highest point of the road.





Looking good Betty 2.0!

Look out for the Kea!

Never did see one of these illusive Kiwis.

A view on the hike:




Shortly after that was what CamperMate called “Death Corner” but I think the real name is the Otira Viaduct which was constructed in 1999.  There was a nice viewpoint of this engineering masterpiece before I drove over it.  Ten minutes down the road was a small hotel, an art gallery and a few houses.  Not surprisingly, since this country is the land of Lord of the Rings, Golam was perched on the roof of the hotel with the ring dangling down.  A statue of Gandolf was nearby too.  I’m not a fan of the story or the movies but they were cool to see.

The Otira Viaduct:

A rock tunnel:

Pretty cool horse mostly made out of driftwood:

Awesome steel cutout:

Oh precious...



Bizarre bovines:

They were almost like pandas!


Reaching the coast I stopped for an hour in Hokitika, the biggest town in the area, to stock up on some supplies, have lunch by the beach in overcast and slightly rainy weather and decide where to spend the night.  It was a toss up between two hotels that allowed camping next door to their establishments.  One was free, provided you had something to eat or drink and it was pizza special night which I love and it’s been a while since I’ve had pizza… The other was $10 per night but had showers, a kitchen and laundry facilities.  It also had character being over 100 years old with a fireplace in the bar.  I decided on the latter.



Unfortunately the sock factory was closed.


When I arrived in the small town of Ross, population 300, it was a torrential downpour.  I ran into the tavern where not surprisingly a table of 6-8 locals, both men and women, most of whom looked like they had just come from work, were sitting around a tall table on stools enjoying the warmth from the fire along with a cold beer.  The lady behind the bar, Sarah, braved the rain and came outside to show me the camping next door in the parking lot of a fairly rundown looking motel which I assume was under the same ownership.  However the showers had been recently renovated and the kitchen was decent.

Later on, after having a shower, doing my laundry and having a bite to eat, I ventured into the pub for a few beers and worked on my blog on my laptop.  There were still a few of the locals in the same spot.  A little later I had to giggle when I heard one man in his late 30s or early 40s wearing a high visibility vest ponder “Two ways to go now…do I get sauced or get semi-sauced?”.



I bid Sarah and the other patrons good night around 9:30 and headed out to the van.  A few minutes after being inside, there was a knock on my side door and then it immediately opened up.  It was this large man with his pitbullish looking dog whom I’d met earlier.  Earlier in the evening I saw him and his dog getting dropped off by a van that was for some kind of pet business and noticed that he walked with a limp.  He seemed to be the only one staying in a motel room and I had met him and petted the dog as I was back and forth with my laundry.  “Oh sorry,” he said, “I thought you were a friend of mine.”  Well okay, but I was the only one staying there in a campervan and he saw me get into it earlier so that seemed a bit weird.  I closed the door and was a bit perturbed that my bedroom now stunk from his cigarette smoke that had wafted in.  Regardless I got ready for bed, read my book and dozed off.

Bang bang bang!  I awoke to somebody knocking on my door having no idea what time it was, but it was still dark out.  I remained silent at first but the person was insistent with more knocks.  “I’m sleeping in here” I stated.  I heard the person try to open the sliding door.  What the hell.  I remained quiet again.  Then I heard them try to open the back hatch which was right by my head, luckily it was all locked.  I stayed quiet hoping they’d go away, and they did.  I was a bit on edge at this point but tried to fall back asleep.  Five minutes later:  CRASH!  I heard the sound of a window breaking.  My first thought was that the person or persons were breaking into the tavern.  There was more smashing of glass, as if the person was finishing off the bits of window still stuck in the frame.  Okay, not cool.  Whoever it is could easily smash one of my windows.  It’s time to get out of here.

I quietly put on my clothes in the dark.  Took my wallet and stashed most of the money thinking that if they try to rob me, they’ll see that I don’t have too much.  Now the challenge.  I can’t get into the front seat of Betty 2.0 from the back without exiting the side door, going around the front and getting back in.  Luckily the van has tinted windows in the back so I checked the parking lot and it looked clear.  I hopped out, unlocked the driver door, hopped in, started her up and pulled out before even turning on the headlights.  I did notice a curtain blowing out of one of the motel room windows which might have been where the guy was staying, so that was likely the window that had been shattered.  Maybe he’d just locked himself out, or maybe someone was looking for him…I didn’t care, I’m outta here!

My adrenaline was pumping as I started down the highway in the rain back towards Hokitika.  I recalled seeing a campground at a lake halfway back to town, about 10 kilometres away.  I pulled into the site which was pitch black.  I could see one other vehicle but didn’t know where the camp registration stand was and decided not to bother…at least until the morning.  Needless to say it took a little time for me to calm down and fall asleep.  Well that was fun…

No comments:

Post a Comment