Monday, December 9, 2019

Paragliding and Rain Delays


December 2nd-8th, 2019

The next morning the weather seemed fairly decent so I headed towards Treble Cone near Wanaka, a ski hill in the winter and a paragliding site in the summer.  As I pulled up I could see an Ozone tent (a paragliding manufacturer) and a van stenciled with “Wanaka Paragliding”, I knew I was in the right place.  I was greeted by Richard who worked for the company along with some other friendly people, Carly, Abbey, Nicks and Thierry.  I had done my homework on this site and along with needing to have your NZHGPA (New Zealand Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association) membership, you are required to have downloaded and be logged in to an app called “Zero Harm”, some kind of health & safety app.  I had put the app on my phone but hadn’t yet tried logging in.  Richard mentioned that I could get a ride up with them in the next van run, but only if I could get logged in to Zero Harm.  At first I couldn’t even get a signal but they told me to walk about 30 meters away towards a fence and I should be able to connect.

On the road to launch:

I was able to get online but then every time I tried to log in with my Microsoft login, I received some strange error.  I tried changing my password and all sorts of stuff (remember I used to be in IT for many years) but nothing worked.  What?!?  I thought there was a chance that I wouldn’t be able to fly due to some Microsoft problem!  That would be ridiculous.  Thankfully Abbey helped me out and instead of using the app I logged into the website and that worked.  Alright, let’s head up to launch.

Launch:

It was a relatively small launch but doable.  I watched one tandem take off and a solo guy then decided it was time to go.  Just before I launched, Phil who had offered me a ride up to the Coronet Peak launch just 2 days before showed up for a cross country course that he had told me about.  I said hi and then took to the sky.  I flew around with Nicks and Thierry for a while but slowly began to sink out.  I worked some thermals above the gravel switchback road that we had driven up on and almost made it back to launch but then lost it again.  I flew my way towards the landing zone and still had the height to fly by a beautiful waterfall.  A shorter flight than I hoped for but it’s not always about numbers, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The landing zone and the waterfalls I flew by:


The weather forecast looked dismal for the next week on the west coast: rain, rain and more rain.  So I decided to run back to the east coast.  I drove close to 2 hours and stopped in a little hamlet called Duntroon, population under 200.  The campground was beside a rugby pitch and there was a slightly outdated building with a kitchen, living room and showers.  It did the trick and in fact the weather remained questionable so I stayed a second night.  I ventured over to the local hotel for a few pints and met a few of the locals.

Hills outside Duntroon:

A sad looking wallaby in a cage in a park en route to Timaru. 


Next I returned to the small city of Timaru, where I had stayed a night almost 3 weeks prior.  I found out that it had not one, but two disc golf courses, one of which had just opened in the last week.  It was super windy but I tried the new course anyways and it wasn’t bad, not quite as good as Queenstown but playable.  I then headed to the Caroline Bay course, right by the water and it was poorly signposted and more exposed so the wind played more of a factor.  I chucked my disc for 3-4 holes and gave up.

One afternoon I headed to check out a lighthouse at Tuhawaiki Point to have lunch.  The lighthouse was a 10 minute walk away along a small ridge.  Immediately I started wondering whether some ridge soaring with my paraglider could be feasible.  Reaching the lighthouse I noticed a bit of grass just in front which would be perfect for laying out my wing.  I looked over the point and it was about 30-40 feet up from a pebble beach.  The wind was a bit from the northeast but it did look like it would work with the 200 foot long ridge to the left.  Hmm…this looks doable.  However I didn’t have my wing so I walked back to Betty 2.0, grabbed my paraglider and came back.  By this time, only 25 minutes later, the wind had switched a bit and was coming straight in towards the point but a bit askew to both ridges.  I started kiting my wing and realized it had been a long time since I did ridge soaring like this.  When I lived in Victoria, this is what Dallas Road was all about and on a good day you could run 4-5 kilometres up and down the ridge.  Here, it looked like a much shorter run but I was happy to give it a go.




I kept my wing above my head as I worked my way towards the edge.  I spent about 5 minutes just testing the wind with my feet on the ground, watching the waves and the amount of whitecaps and deciding whether there was enough lift for sustained flight.  Soon it picked up and I began to moonwalk.  Okay, let’s go for it.  I took to the air and started a slow left turn towards.  I began to sink, and sink…damn, this isn’t going to last long.  In less than 10 seconds I was on the beach.  Damn…but that was fun.  I balled up my paraglider and walked back up to the lighthouse, determined to give it another go.


This time I was able to soar the point for 4-5 passes, although each pass was only about 50 feet in length as I tried to maximize the lift on the nose of the point.  I was slowly losing a bit of altitude with each pass and realized I was probably going to end up on the beach again.  I decided to try my luck heading to the right this time as the ridge was longer than to the left, but it was also at the slight 30 degree offset to the wind.  All of a sudden, I was rocketing downwind.  The beach was only 30 feet wide and I felt that if I tried to turn left to head back into the wind to slow down for my landing, I would be in the water.  Turn to the right and I was into the cliff.  “Oh shit” I heard my self involuntarily saying.  As I approached the ground at 25-30 km/h, I kept my feet up, flared as best as I could and ended up skidding along on my butt on the smooth flat rocks.  The airbag of my harness took the brunt of the impact and I was totally fine.  Well that was exciting.  After that I decided to just practice kiting on the beach for an hour or so, practicing things like cobra launching and touching each wingtip to the ground and bringing it back up.  It turned into a fun afternoon.

Looking down the long ridge, and you can see Betty 2.0 in the distance.


I ended up staying in Timaru, at Patiti Point overlooking the ocean, for 3 nights.  Wowsers, I haven’t stayed anywhere on this trip for that long apart from the hostel in Auckland.  The last night, there was a thunderstorm that seemed to rage most of the night.  There were a few lightning strikes that I could see through the curtains and my eyelids and KABOOM, the thunder followed very shortly after.  Super close.

I decided to leave that morning even though it looked bleak, but the forecast did promise better weather.  My plan was to head towards Mt. Cook, pass by Wanaka again and then head up the west coast of the island.  The west coast does seem to be the island’s “windshield” as all of the weather systems hit it first, dump their rain thanks to the mountain range and then mostly dissipate as they reach the east coast.

The drive was beautiful as usual.  Just 20 clicks outside of Timaru was a small town called Pleasant Point and there was a steam locomotive with a few old passenger cars sitting at historic looking railroad platform.  A sign mentioned that it would be in action again on December 27-28th, I couldn’t hang around until then but it was worth taking a few pics.

Choo-Choo!

This was a little stop on the road.  A collector of Route 66 type stuff from the US.  I don't know where he sources his stuff but he had quite a collection.


I reached Lake Tekapo, which is renowned for its turquoise blue waters, like some lakes in the Rockies in Canada and also Lake Kalamalka near Lumby.  It was gorgeous but definitely looked better through my polarized sunglasses than the naked eye so I don’t think the pictures will do it justice.

A lupin field en route:

Lake Tekapo:

Starting to get stormier:

The campground was a gravel area just up from a river.  Driving there you had to cross a manmade stream from a dam that had the same lovely light blue water but by the campground the water was a light coffee brown.  Many purple and pink lupins were attempting to make a go of it on the riverside but it was obvious that due to some of the recent rain, the water level had risen, drowning some of the flowers.


Some lupins were already underwater...but soon they all would be.

That night it rained a fair bit and it continued into the morning.  The cell signal that had been there the previous day was gone but came back online around 10:30 am.  I saw on a New Zealand news side that flooding just 45 kilometres north of Timaru, where I had just spent 3 nights, had wiped out a bridge and cut off the National Highway 1!  Wow.  I had contemplated returning to Christchurch while waiting out the weather, glad I didn’t as I would have been stuck there.

I was happy to wait out the rain and supposedly it was going to clear up in the afternoon but then a Department of Conservation official, whom I’d met the day before, was going from vehicle to vehicle telling everyone it was time to go, evacuation orders!  The river definitely had risen as now all of the poor lupins were submerged, but it was going to take a lot more water for it to become an issue, however, what to do, them’s the orders.

More lupins gone yesterday evening...after the evac orders, they were all gone, but I didn't have a chance to take a picture.


I drove to Lake Pukaki, about 30 minutes away and unfortunately some low clouds were definitely blocking the views of most of the mountains, including Mount Cook, so I bypassed most view points.  It was still pretty though.  I pulled into the next Freedom Camping spot on the side of Lake Pukaki, found a spot sheltered from the wind and enjoyed the afternoon playing guitar, chess and writing this!  The weather is supposed to clear up tomorrow, I look forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment