Thursday, December 5, 2019

It's a Puzzling World!

December 1st, 2019

Leaving Queenstown, I drove about halfway to Wanaka, another popular ski and summer resort town but maybe not quite as crazy busy as Queenstown.  I’d heard about it from paragliding pilots back in Canada so I hoped to fly there as well.  I stayed at a basic campsite called Bendigo by Lake Dunstan, a long finger like lake created by a hydro dam on a river.  It was a bit windy and dusty, but it did the trick for the night.

This was just an odd little feature in some farmer's field.  I wish I could have gotten closer to see the guy's face but there was a fence in the way.  "Live to Ride, Ride to Live!"

Pulling into Wanaka the next morning it was overcast and a bit windy and paragliding definitely wasn’t in the cards, so I decided to check out the local disc golf course.  Just as I pulled up to the park the rain started to come down, heavy enough that it wasn’t an attractive proposition.  I wasn’t too disappointed as the couple of holes that I could see from my van were in pretty wide open areas and looked quite long, my least favourite type of course.

Checking the good ol’ CamperMate app I saw a place that was right up my alley:  Puzzling World.  Sounds like a perfect rainy day kinda thing to do.  This quirky museum/exhibit has been around since 1973 and has expanded over the years.  Walking through the doors there was the ticket booth, the gift shop and a café with almost everyone who was sitting at a table working away on little wooden and/or metal puzzle.  You know the type that you have to get the ring off of a seemingly impossible metal shaped object by moving this or that.  I figured I’d finish off with these puzzles, so I paid my $25 combo admission which was allowed me to enter the exhibits as well as get lost in the maze outside.

With that "Leaning tower of Pisa", you can take a great pic of you holding it up...if you have someone to take the picture of you, and it's not pouring down rain.

Stepping through the automatic gate after scanning the stamp on the back of my wrist, the first exhibit was a dark hallway with a variety of holographic pictures.  Oh c’mon, these are cool but I remember seeing these in a National Geographic magazine in the 1980s…it better get better than this. 

Okay, the vulture is pretty good.

In the next room the floor was slanted at about 22 degrees or so and man did it play with your mind.  There were 3 planks of wood like steps with water flowing from one to the next and it sure looked like the water was flowing uphill.  You could lean so far forward without falling over yet your brain told you that something was wrong as the visual cues around you told you that you weren’t upright…okay, this place is getting better.


Next was the Hall of Following Faces.  It was an octagonal shaped room with each wall occupied by a matrix of faces of a famous person from Albert Einstein to Mother Theresa, Abraham Lincoln to Winston Churchill.  The instructions by the entrance to the room said to cover one eye and walk about 3 meters away from the wall.  As you moved around the faces followed you.  The ones on the top of the wall appeared to be looking down at you and conversely the ones below looked up, but all of them followed you.  Pretty cool.  The neat thing is that if you looked with both eyes you could see that all of the faces were exactly the same (per wall).  They were three dimensional and concave with some back lighting…so simple yet effective

Many famous faces...all watching you...

The next section had a variety of optical illusion type displays, some good, some mediocre.  Then probably one of the fan favourites of the place was this weirdly shaped room with two doorways, a small one and a large one at the other end.  The room had a checkered carpet but everything was askew and you almost hit your head at one side of the room and could barely touch the ceiling at the other.  After being in the room, a few minutes later you appeared on a TV screen outside in the hallway and everything looked normal, all corners 90 degrees to each other and straight lines on the carpet but as you walked from one doorway to the other, you went from being a midget to a giant.  Pretty cool effect.

A strange bench:

Rotating cubes:
So we have this guy to blame...
Good optical illusion:
This would look good in a living room or hallway:
This room was cool.  After you walk around in the distorted room you came out and a couple minutes later the video was shown on a TV.
A trippy Persian carpet:


KNIT=MC2
Look closely:
Rasta-Lion:
Shocking!
After the exhibits, even though it was still raining outside I decided to get lost in the maze.  As a kid I fondly remember going to an outdoor maze at Longleat in England made up from 16,000 yew trees…incredible.  Now this one was only made from wooden posts and panelling, but I have to say it wasn’t bad.  Just like Longleat, you couldn’t see over the sides so you didn’t know where you were going.  There were four towers in each corner and a number of bridges.  The idea was to make it to each tower and then find your way back out again.  It probably took me the better part of 30 minutes to meander around and finally make my way out, with it raining pretty steadily throughout (glad I grabbed my umbrella).


I finished off back in the café and tried a few different puzzles.  It turned out to be a great way to spend a few hours of a rain soaked day.  I like their slogan for the place:  Welcome to Wanaka’s Wonderful World of Weirdness!



I decided to splurge that evening and spend a night at a campsite that was part of a hotel and hostel on Lake Hawea.  It was only $15 for a night and this included a well needed hot shower, plus there was a pub where campers received discounted beer and food.  To top it off there was wi-fi and there happened to be a hockey game between the Canucks and the Oilers…perfect!  Additionally the views of the mountains across the lake around sunset were superb.




Wow!

And the Canucks won!

1 comment: