Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Crazy Queenstown

November 28th-30th, 2019

Rain set in as I left the Fiordland area so I spent a couple of nights in a small town called Lumsden.  CamperMate had glowing reviews of this small hamlet that has totally embraced Freedom Campers.  Right in the middle of the town, around the old defunct railway station is an area dedicated to both self contained and non-self contained campers.  There’s a public toilet, an area to wash dishes and even the little library across the road provides free wi-fi with the password taped right on their front window…pretty sweet.

Lumsden's Freedom Camping spot:

The weather improved so I headed northwest towards Queenstown, originally named in honour of Queen Victoria.  I had heard about Queenstown from paragliding pilots back in Canada as it is the primo place to fly in the country and definitely the tandem capital for both paragliding and hang gliding in New Zealand.  The small city of around 15,000 sits on Lake Wakapitu, a Z shaped lake formed during the last ice age.  The mountains around the lake on the approach to town were beautiful including a lookout called the “Devil’s Staircase”…great name.

During my trip, I've almost pulled over 3-4 times to take a picture of fields I've seen that are filled with sheep...but this one takes the cake.  All of these guys had recently been sheered.  You can see that they could spread out a little more towards me but perhaps their pulling an "Emperor Penguin" trick and sticking together for warmth!

Lake Wakatipu



Lake Wakatipu and the view from the Devil's Staircase:

There is a single road into Queenstown that follows along the lakeside with houses and hotels on either side.  This is a recipe for traffic congestion at various times of the day and as I approached the downtown area, locating parking was definitely a challenge.  I lucked out in a seemingly full parking lot as someone left as I was circling around.  I walked a few blocks into town and since it was a windy day I had no plans of trying to paraglide but I knew that there was a frisbee golf course so that was my plan.  Supposedly you could rent a disc at stores in town but I decided I’d buy one.  One of the first shops that I passed by had a collection of 20-30 frisbees and I found one I liked.  For a moment I thought maybe I should look around but then decided what the hell, just get one and don’t waste time looking around.  It was a fancy store with hiking equipment and clothing and the disc was $30 but I figured that was probably only five bucks over the going rate.  The lady behind the counter was friendly and I was happy to have secured my frisbee that quickly.  Well as I left the store, two doors down was another store with racks and racks of 100+ frisbees…damn, I’d acted a bit too quickly.  Oh well, the one I had bought was manufactured in New Zealand so it will be a cool one to bring home.


The downtown area was crammed with tourists mulling about.  Queenstown is known as the adrenaline capital of New Zealand so there were many tour companies advertising activities ranging from paragliding and hang gliding to jet boats, bungy jumping (this is where bungy jumping started!), sky diving and tours to Milford Sound.  There were so many of these storefronts that I don’t know how tourists picked one.  The area also sported numerous bars and restaurants and felt like Whistler’s Village back in Canada.

Down by the lake:


This was an interesting looking jet boat...Hydro Attack.

Shark Attack!
I walked down to the lake area and then continued on to Queenstown Gardens, a spit with a playground, tennis courts, an ice rink, lawn bowling, gardens of course and most importantly, the disc golf course.  The first few holes of the course were okay, somewhat out in the open with the odd tree but the course got better and better.  The wind was howling in from the lake but the forest helped to diminish the effect and if you threw your frisbee right, you could use it to your advantage.  I enjoyed it so much that I played two rounds.

Awesome tree!

If you look closely you can see the disc golf basket in the middle.  You had to thread your way between these big trees, no cheating around to the right.


A bit windy for paragliding...surprising I could frisbee golf!
A long and narrow hole, the basket is somewhere down there.


Leaving Queenstown to head to a freedom camping spot for the night was a test in patience.  It probably took 5-7 minutes to go about 100 meters from the parking lot.  Eventually it sped up but I wondered how torturous it must be in the summertime when tourist season is in full swing.

The campsite was on the bottom end of the lake, 40 minutes south of Queenstown and I had passed the spot in the morning heading in to town.  It was a lovely site and I parked just 15 feet from the water but there were no toilets as it was designated as a “self-contained campsite”.  Now 95% of self-contained campervans touring around the country have the mandatory porta-pottie but never use them.  Almost all camping areas have toilet facilities however there’s this feeling around this area that they don’t really want freedom campers.  Kinda can’t blame them as it is a busy area with tourists who are happy to splash their cash and freedom campers well, want their accommodation free so why would they bend over for my type.  I talked about it with a French guy who was camping next to me and he thinks that New Zealand did not expect the influx of freedom campers that has happened and in areas like Queenstown and Wanaka (where I plan to go next), they would prefer to not have the campervans and motorhomes around so they make it difficult.  There used to be 2-3 freedom campsites closer to town that have been closed in the past year so for the next couple of days I had to do a 40 minute “commute” into Queenstown or shell out $40+ for a paying campsite closer to town.  Soon the government will be clamping down on what vehicles can obtain the “self-contained” status (you need a sticker on the back of your vehicle to be legit).  They will require that you must be able to sit on your porta-pottie in your vehicle with the bed made…sounds kinda funny but it will restrict mini-vans from obtaining the certification which will be a big change.

Nice spot to camp.


Okay, enough about the camping stuff.  The next day I returned to the Queenstown area in search of one of the paragliding sites called Crown Terrace.  I’m not sure why I decided to check this particular site as the main one is Coronet Peak and I couldn’t find the launch for Crown Terrace, but there were lovely views looking back towards Queenstown.  I enjoyed watching a few commercial jets cruising through the valley and descending to the airport.

Queenstown is just to the left of center where the ridge from the left comes down.

The view from the Crown Terrace back towards Queenstown:
So let’s try and find the main site.  As I got close I could see some paragliders and hang gliders in the sky, getting lower and setting up to land…okay, I’m close.  I arrived at Coronet Peak’s landing zone just after noon and I was immediately impressed with the massive landing zone of trimmed grass including a big smiley face mowed into the slope on the side and a nice clubhouse/cafĂ©.  I met an American hang gliding tandem pilot named Willy who was trying to eat his lunch but I kept interrupting him with questions about the site and his flying.  He was super friendly and introduced me to Juliette who was a driver for one of the tandem companies.  She told me that another van was soon to arrive and I could see if they had room to take me up to launch and I was in luck.

The landing zone.  The big happy face is the darker bit to the left of the hang glider.

The clubhouse:

Coronet Peak is a ski hill and the drive up to launch was paved all the way, how nice.  I waited and watched the tandem paragliders and hang gliders take off and then took to the air.  It’s so great to fly a new site.  The landing is 2-3 kilometers downrange from the takeoff and there’s the main mountain, a bit of a gap and then a smaller ridge with rocky cliffs and then a coniferous forest lower down.  Not having a vario, I’m guesstimating that I flew for 45-50 minutes.  It was a bit of a scratch-fest but really enjoyable (if you’re not familiar with what scratching is, it means that you are close to the terrain looking for lift and often just maintaining your altitude, going up a bit, then down a bit, hoping to finally find that elevator to take you higher).

The launch:

Tandem hang gliders getting set up to fly.

A tandem hang glider launching from Coronet Peak:

After the flight, I returned to town for another round of disc golf and then back to the same campsite on the lake and even went for a chilly dip (primarily for the purpose of getting clean, not swimming).  It was a lovely evening hanging out on the beachside, playing guitar, reading a book and working on my Rubik’s cube which I’m getting close to being able to solve thanks to YouTube.




The weather was decent the next day so I decided to repeat yesterday’s activity but starting with frisbee golf then flying.  I didn’t play so well on the disc golf course which I attributed to a sore arm and shoulders from my fourth round in three days but my flight was better than the first.  Returning to Coronet Peak, I met a pilot named Phil from Invercargill who offered me a ride.  His wife drove for us and there were two other female pilots, Nina from NZ and Natalie who was originally from England.  We went to a higher launch than where I was the day before with the tandem crew, that’s when I learned that there are at least a half dozen different launches on the mountain, plus you could pretty much take off from anywhere as there weren’t any trees.  I flew for about an hour and a half and got higher and further along the ridge than the day before.  Lots of fun.

The weather forecast showed that it might be a bit dodgy for the next few days so I decided to leave Queenstown and head towards Wanaka, another spot with a good paragliding site.  I picked a freedom campsite called Bendigo which was beside Lake Dunstan.  It was an okay spot, right beside the highway and a bit dusty but it fit the bill for one night.

Okay, this post is long enough…kudos to you if you made it this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment