Sunday, December 15, 2019

Hiking Sealy Tarns

December 10th, 2019
Before arriving at Mount Cook, I had read about a hike up to Mueller Hut which was listed in a “Top Ten Things to do” in the area.  You could book a bed in the hut as it was part of a longer trail or you could just be doing an overnighter but it was also possible to do the hike there and back in a day, albeit supposedly a long day.  I didn’t have the proper gear with me to do an overnighter (read: no sleeping bag or small portable stove) so I thought I’d try to do a day hike. 

Good morning Mount Cook.

The first half of the trail was also known as “Sealy Tarns” hike (a tarn being a small mountain lake).  This part of the hike was comprised of 2200 stairs.  Yup you read that right, 2200 stairs.  It climbed over 600 meters in a short distance.  Sounded interesting.  It reminded me of a hike I did in 2010 in St. Hillaire, France.  I, along with 3 other younger British paraglider pilots, climbed a pretty gruelling 750 meter ascent from the valley up to a plateau where the annual Coupe Icare Festival is held as there’s a large take off and small village.  The last 2/3s of the hike was just stairs that ran along the side of a funicular…a stair master from hell.  I envisioned the same here but in actual fact it didn’t seem too bad.

The start of the hike:

The start of the stairs...

I began the hike at 7 am as the estimates for the out and return to Mueller Hut was 6-8 hours.  I didn’t have high hopes of making it all the way to the hut as the latest report from a ranger the day before was that there were a few spots from Sealy Tarns to the Mueller Hut that had some avalanche concerns due to recent snowfall in the last few weeks.  This news was relayed to me by a couple that were camped next to me who happened to be from Calgary.  Cam and Leanne were spending 6 weeks on the south island and it turns out that Cam played rugby against my high school (SMU).  He’s four years older than me so he would have been in grade 12 while I was in grade 9 and our 1st XV team that year was really dominating…poor guy.  A handful of those players went on to represent Canada.

Look closely where the valley opens up, that's where the campground is.


On the gravel path from the campground, I noticed a small, fresh looking poo just before I almost stepped in it.  I immediately assumed it was from a small to mid-sized dog that was hiking up with someone.  “The nerve” I thought.  C’mon people, pick up your dog poo!  Ten minutes later I saw a few other little droppings, then a few more.  Boy, this poor dog must be shitting itself about the hike it’s doing.  Well I found yet more further up and finally clued in that it must not be a dog, but the non-native and well hated by Kiwis…possum.  Later I spoke to Cam and Leanne about it as they also did the hike, but later in the day and Leanne was skeptical, it was too big for a possum she thought.  Well the good ol’ Internet proved my case.  Yes, within one minute of searching I had a picture to match what we had seen on the trail.  I’m impressed how high up a mountain these little fellers go!

As I climbed higher and higher, I couldn’t help but think of how much work it must have been to make all of these stairs!  Most comprised of a 2”x8” piece of board wedged in vertically but there was also gravel almost all the way up.  There was the odd gravel bag off to the side of the trail and I’m sure a helicopter brought in the materials but still…lots of work.  I also thought of how much more difficult the trail would have been without the stairs so thank you Department of Conservation!


I reached the snowline and shortly after a couple of small ponds that were covered in a white slushy looking ice.  Nearby was a monstrous picnic table with a stunning view of the area.  “I guess these are the tarns.”  It was only 8 am!  Huh, that didn’t take so long.  I sat at the picnic table and took in the vista.  I heard some far-off rumbles a few times and could see some small avalanches on nearby Mount Cook.  The flow of the snow off some rockfaces looked like a waterfall…I guess it is in a way.

One of the Sealy tarns:

I couldn't help...the inner boy in me wanted to come out.

Avalanche!
Not bad for propping my phone up against my backpack on the picnic table.


After a short break sitting down at the table, I decided to see how far I could go on the trail towards the Mueller Hut.  I hoped to at least make it to the crestline to see over the other side of this ridge.  I only climbed another 100 vertical meters or so and saw a couple coming down towards me.  I decided to wait and find out the situation from them.   Tall Simon with a neat beard but long hair up was from Germany and tiny Laurie with blonde hair, from France.  Both were probably in their late 20s.  The depth of the snow had increased to the point that they were getting too wet and cold for them to continue on.  Since I was wearing day hikers, I decided that was it for me too.  We descended to the picnic table and hung out for about half an hour.

The "trail" up to Mueller Hut, there were posts with orange markers every 100-200 meters.

As high as I went.  You can see the little tarns on the bottom right.



A few other couples showed up, one coming up and one coming down from spending a night at Mueller Hut.  They were better prepared than the rest of us although they admitted to soaking wet feet.  I descended with Simon and Laurie and enjoyed their company.  We were back down at the camp at 10 am.  Huh, what to do with the rest of my day!  I guess I had just taken my lunch sandwiches for a nice hike and didn’t eat them for a few more hours.  Yesterday I’d even prepared my spaghetti sauce for dinner as I thought I might be too tired to make it after a full day of hiking!  Oh well.

Nice cloud stream over Mount Cook in the afternoon.

I ended up going into the nearby Mt. Cook village for a shower then enjoyed an afternoon working on my blog, playing guitar and soaking in the amazing views.  I had hoped to see some amazing stars at night in this area as there is next to no light pollution, but wouldn’t you know it, we were only a couple of days away from a full moon…can’t win them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment