Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Gotta Goa Paragliding

November 19th, 2010

I decided to go for a jog this morning to try and counteract all of the Kingfisher beers I’ve been consuming. It’s nice running along a sandy beach although this one’s fairly hard packed so it’s a bit tough on the shins, knees and calf muscles. Fantastic that after the run I just walk into the ocean to cool off.

After a shower I said hello to Raj at 2Pac but then noticed some wings in the air at the north end of the beach so I was off. It probably took close to an hour for me to get to launch. By this time the wings I had seen were long gone but I noticed a couple of tandem wings take off from a launch further north from my spot. This time I had no monkey spectators but a random local walking past stopped and even though he didn’t speak English, he was nice enough to help me reset my wing out after a couple of botched attempts. One failed launch was thanks to the fact that one of my leg straps decided to not only hold my leg but one of my testicles...youch! I’m surprised that doesn’t happen more often now that I think of it (not that I’m boasting that I have a lot there that can be grabbed...it’s more a question of the positioning of the straps!).

Once in the air I soared back and forth on the short ridge I was on to gain some height to cross over to a longer ridge where the tandems were, passing over a small lagoon lake on the way. The views of the beach, out to sea and even back over the relatively flat lands behind the coast were fabulous. I flew for about an hour, just gently cruising back and forth. I watched a student take off and made sure I gave him plenty of space.

The two tandems in flight (unfortunately I didn't get many pics in flight as I used my HD camera for most photos but the lens had fogged up on me):

I decided to see how far along the ridge to the north I could go. I passed the other takeoff and then the ridge no longer ran parallel to the coast but back at a 45 degree angle. With the wind coming straight in, the lift wasn’t going to be as good there but I expected that I should be able to maintain my height...well I was wrong. I was sinking and sinking. Time to find a new landing spot on this long, straight but narrow beach with a flat area filled with palm trees and a large temple behind it. I found a spot and landed fine on the sand, bundled up my paraglider and headed back to a semi-grassy area behind the trees and near the temple to pack the wing up. There were two of other young Russian pilots, I assume a couple, that landed there as well so I didn’t feel so bad. We chatted briefly and they had just come from Pokhara in Nepal, a place I plan on revisiting next month.

Flying at Arambol beach:


Looking back at the beach where I landed:

The middle beach (Keri):

I possibly could have tried hiking back up to the top of the nearby ridge and try and locate the other launch and use that to get closer to Arambol Beach but I decided I should pay the piper and walk back. While crossing over one of the headlands on a trail, I slid down a steep section and grazed my knee, thumb and heel of my hand. Nothing bad, but my knee was pretty red with blood. It probably took about an hour to get back to the Olive Garden and I was quite spent. Julie was there so we chatted a bit and then I headed off to take my paraglider back to my hut (which is probably another kilometre away...so I sure got my exercise today!).

I headed to a restaurant/bar called Horizon about halfway back from my hut to the Olive Garden. I liked the look of their stepped restaurant looking out at the ocean with lying down tables first, then mid-height ones with relaxed chairs followed by proper dining tables. I also liked the look of their beach huts as they are all slightly raised above ground and have their own little porches directly facing the sea. I inquired and unfortunately they are 700 rupees a night (whereas I’m staying in a 400 rupee place and the huts at the Olive Garden, not on the beach, are only 300). Perhaps after my week at my current place is up I’ll consider treating myself to this place.

Sunset Tai Chi:

Beautiful cumis lit up by the setting sun:

A guy sitting at a nearby table came over and asked me about my laptop (I was busy blogging away). Turns out that Tyson and Jennifer are from Vancouver...the first Canadians I’ve run into here. Tyson teaches ESL (English as a second language) and Jennifer stages houses for sale and also teaches yoga. They were staying in these huts and they were happy with them, especially the porch, however the toilet had no toilet seat. What? Almost twice as much as my current abode, but no toilet seat. Hmm...I’ll have to weigh that in....porch looking out at the sea or toilet seat? Tough call...

Sunset waves:

And the sunset beer...

It was a relatively early night tonight as I was spent...super day in Goa!

1 comment: