Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Gettin’ Goa’in

November 17th, 2010

Not surprisingly after a 5am bedtime I didn’t get moving until after 11am. By the time I was ready to leave the room it was noon and upon opening my door, there was Alissa. She asked me if I’d decided to stay or not. Seeing as checkout time was at 12, I guess I’m staying another night. So I ventured out to walk down the beach and check out what accommodation options I could have for tomorrow. I said a quick hello to the five Norwegian ladies who were hanging out on the chaise lounges in front of the Olive Garden. I walked about a kilometre down the beach and inquired at a few beach hut places. Prices ranged from 400 rupees (if you stayed a week) to 1300 rupees (and I couldn’t see why...although I didn’t even look in this expensive one). I felt satisfied and figured I’d probably take the 400 rupee option.

Looking towards the promontory on Arambol Beach:

The view south:

Upon walking back to the Olive Garden restaurant, I hung out on the chaise lounges with the girls and mostly chatted to Karina while Sunniva read her book and Marta, or should I say “Queen Marta” seemed to have 2 or 3 locals around her at all times; either selling her some jewellery, giving her a foot massage or a manicure. Can’t blame her...when in Rome!

After a small bite to eat, I noticed a paraglider flying on the other side of the promontory at the north end of the beach. Time to go. I grabbed my wing and trekked off to try and locate the takeoff. As I reached the base of the hill, another pilot was walking the other way having finished flying. I asked him how it was and where the takeoff was. I believe his accent was Russian but I’m no expert at accents. He told me the route up and it sounded simple: “Take the stairs after the green restaurant, up to the flag at the point, then back up along the ridge until you get to a lake.” “Lake?” I wondered...I can’t imagine that there’d be a lake up there but I started the ascent of the 100-150 meter high hill.

The view of the beach was gorgeous as I began to gain some altitude. So far, so good. But then I began to lose the path here and there. It was tough to know what was a human path and what was made by some other animal (yes, humans are animals!). I was never really lost as I knew where the ocean was but I could tell that I was heading to far inland for the location of the launch. I began to backtrack and at this point I was tired of the odd thistle in a toe so I decided to change from my flip flops to my hiking boots...bad idea. The socks attracted the barbs and burrs even more as all types of plant matter stuck to my ankles.

The view while hiking up to launch:

The beach north of Arambol (Keri I believe):

By chance I came across this older man, Mardu, setting up to launch (his name sounds Indian but that’s his local name, he’s originally from Denmark). He’s the local tandem and instructor guy who’s been here the last 17 years but I must admit, I’m not sure if I’d want to have lessons from him...he reminded me of Chong from the Cheech & Chong movies!

He did give me a bit of a briefing of the site (always good, even from Chong) and thought that we may not stay up long as the late afternoon wind was starting to die down. He took off and quickly skirted around the promontory to go and land on Arambol beach as there wasn’t enough lift. So I had the option to walk down or try to fly myself...might as well fly, that’s why I’m lugging this damn thing around the world!

While setting up, there was some rustling in the bushes. More rustling that a bird can produce (except maybe an emu...but they don’t have them here). Then I saw him, a big monkey of some sort, actually there were a couple of them but only one sat up in a tree and attentively watch me get set up and then takeoff...cool, a first for me.

Try and spot the monkey in the tree...pretty difficult (he's a bit to the right of center, above the black spot of my paraglider and the bright green by the trunk of the tree):

The flight was very quick, maybe 30 seconds. I also cruised around the promontory and curled in behind it to set up for a landing on the beach. I probably should have headed further down the beach to avoid a bit of the mild rotor but the landing was good so no worries. First flight in India! I packed up and walked back to my room. Hopefully the next flight will be a bit longer.

I headed to the Olive Garden for a post flight beer and found Marta there, working on a paper for her course as she received a Henna tattoo. There was a gorgeous sunset with a couple of young women practicing their hippie sports of spinning stick and poys.

Marta getting her Henna tattoo:

I liked the reflection through the glass ball on the woman's head:

Nice sunset!


I had dinner with the Norwegian ladies and the cards came out yet again however since Karina and Marta were leaving to the airport at 4am, the night wasn’t as crazy as the one before although they were the last two of the girls to stay up (past midnight). I hung out and chatted with some of the young 20 something guys who work at the restaurant, specifically Ram, Ashish and Sanju. All of them come from the north, near Manali, and just work down here for 4-5 months of the year...nice guys...I’m sure I’ll be hanging out with them again.

Sunniva enjoying her fancy drink:

Caroline and Julie:

A big stick bug...tried to put my hand in the pic for perspective:

Marta dealing:

The Norwegian ladies (from left to right): Sunniva, Marta, Caroline, Karina and Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment