Monday, January 24, 2022

Shaking it up in Lima

January 6th-7th, 2022

My flight back to Lima was around 7pm.  I arrived at the small Quito airport about 3 hours before the flight since it was an international one.  I had already checked in online, so I went up to a self check-in terminal to print out a boarding pass and a tag for my bag.  For the second time on this trip, I was able to print a tag, but no boarding pass.  I tried a few different machines to no avail, so I walked up to the lady sitting by the entrance to the line-up for an old school check-in.  She asked me for my vaccination card which I presented.  What about my “Declaration of Health” for Peru? she asked.  Damn, I forgot about having to fill that out before arriving from Canada as that was a few months ago.  She stated that I could do it online on Latam Airline’s website.  I searched for a few minutes then asked for her help.  She opened the form and I began to fill it out.  Stupidly it required both a home phone number and a cell one but they required a different number of digits and my neither my Canadian nor my Peruvian numbers worked for the home number so I had to fake it.

 

By the time I got the silly form done, the once empty line up now had about 30 people in it.  There were 5-6 ticket desks in action but somehow it took an hour and 45 minutes until I made it to a counter.  The lady was helpful but near the end of the process, she stated that I had to pay for my checked bag.  Huh?  I didn’t have to pay for it on the first let of the trip into Ecuador.  So somehow I had purchased a ticket online that only included my bag getting into the country but not back out?!?  That didn’t make sense.  Now I had to go to another lineup to pay for the bag. 

 

Finally, I made it to security.  On a previous flight in Peru (Cusco to Lima), I had been allowed to bring a bottle of water with me.  How nice, I thought, that finally they were getting sensible in airports instead of always having to buy a ridiculously overpriced new bottle once you were in the secure area.  This time however, my bag went through the x-ray machine and my bottle was spotted and I was told to ditch it.  What?!?  Where’s the logic in that?  It’s okay to take water through security on a domestic flight, but not an international one?

 

Okay, it was just one of those days I figured.  And when I have a moment like this, I just have to remind myself to think of India.  This is totally trivial to my time being stuck there.

 

I had one night in Lima before catching a bus to Huaraz, home of the big mountains of Peru.  This time in Lima I stayed at a hostel called Dragonfly, just a few buildings down from the AirBnB I had been at when I first started my trip back at the end of October.  The logic was that it would make it easier to leave my paraglider and extraneous clothes at the AirBnB for the next few legs of my trip as I wouldn’t be flying in Huaraz or the Amazon jungle.  My room was on the rooftop of the 3 storey building, an add-on after the building had been completed.  It wasn’t the greatest room, but it would do for one night.

 

At 5:30 in the morning, I awoke to ground shaking and the windows rattling.  It didn’t take long for me to realize that it was an earthquake, and a pretty good one at that.  I sprung out of bed and ran out the door, slamming it behind me.  The tremors lasted probably about 15 seconds, but it felt longer.  I looked up at the high-rise buildings around me and saw the odd light turn on.  Once things had settled down, I then realized that I might have a slight predicament.  Closing the door behind me had locked it, and there I was standing in only my boxer shorts on a rooftop.  Oh dear, am I going to have to go downstairs in my underwear to the front desk to get let into my room?  After a tiny bit of contemplation, I recalled that I had left my window open and thankfully I was able to unlock the door.

 

I have to admit that it took a little while before I was able to fall back asleep.  When I got up a few hours later, I looked online and sure enough, it was a 5.6 magnitude located only 45 kilometres inland from Lima but the saving grace was that it was 65 kilometres underground.  I posted about the earthquake online only for a former paragliding student to comment back “And I thought it was the volcano that I should be worried about!”.  Turns out that a volcano erupted on the north end of Isabela Island in the Galapagos, where I was just 9 days before.  It was away from civilization but and considered not dangerous but still, it was spewing lava and smoke.

 

Perhaps this part of the world is telling me that it’s time to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment