Saturday, January 8, 2022

Isabela Island – Biking to Radar Hill

December 28th, 2021

It seemed a bit like organized chaos when I first arrived near the docks for the ferry to Isabela Island as there were a number of boats going to different destinations but all at the same time.  Eventually the tourists, including me, were lined up on shore and then led by their respective captains towards a pier with an X-ray machine for the luggage and then onto a water taxi.  While on the pier I spotted a 3 foot black finned shark and then there was a sea lion sleeping on the jetty to get on the small boat to ferry us out to our ferry.  I say ferry loosely, it wasn’t like BC Ferries by any means.  I was on the “New Britany” which was about a 40 foot power boat with three 200 horsepower outboard engines and two decks.  

Looking out at the bay at Puerto Ayora:


I first sat down with most of the passengers on the lower deck on two cushioned bench seats which faced each other inside a cabin and was open to the back of the boat where another 4-5 people sat facing forwards.  The captain appeared and asked for three volunteers to go to the upper deck.  Not knowing what that really entailed, I couldn’t see how it could be any worse than where I was, so I put up my hand.  Well, that was a great idea.  Up top, even though 4 of us were sitting pretty close to each other, we were behind the captain with great views to each side of the boat.


The helm of New Britany:

Ready to go.

We pulled out of the harbour and sped up to 45 km/hr.  Even though it was early in the morning, it was a bit choppy on the water and we bounced around a bit.  I didn’t see too much in the way of sea life on the way there, but it was a nice ride nonetheless.  A couple of water taxis came to collect all the passengers once we were moored in the sheltered bay by Puerto Villamil, named after the first governor of the island.  As we approached the dock, a woman spotted a Galapagos penguin swimming in the water, about 15 feet away.  Okay, that’s a pretty good start!  An interesting factoid about this type of penguin, it’s the only one found north of the equator.


Underway:
Islands on route:
Puerto Villamil

New Brittany with a water taxi taking the passengers to the pier.

The dock at Puerto Villamil.

Hopping onto the dock, all foreigners had to pay a $10 landing tax (locals $5).  Who would I see next?  Marine iguanas basking on the volcanic rocks beside the pier…how cool is this place?!?  Most tourists were grabbing taxis (all taxis are pickup trucks, mostly Toyota Hiluxes) or getting picked up by their tour group but I decided to walk into town to find some breakfast before heading to my accommodation.


My first of many marine iguanas I would see.

I found a restaurant where there was already a table of six sitting, eating their breakfasts.  Puerto Villamil is pretty tiny and this seemed to be the only restaurant open so I grabbed a seat.  After receiving the menu and picking a basic brekkie of eggs, toast, bacon and tea, the waitress told me a few minutes later that they had no more bread.  Huh.  That’s a fairly basic item for a restaurant to have on hand, but then again, we are at a fairly remote location.  I didn’t feel like pancakes and I spotted another diner across the main center of town so I decided to relocate.  I was just about to start my breakfast on this outside patio when I recognized a man walking on the street, just 10 feet away.  “Sponge.  Sponge!”  That is Chris’s nickname, that I’ve never personally used, but I figured that it would get his attention.  It took him a couple of seconds to respond, I’m sure he was incredulous about hearing his silly moniker in a foreign country.  He turned his head and was just as surprised to see me.  We laughed, hugged and then he sat down for 5-10 minutes as we caught up.  We both worked for the same company back in Victoria for a number of years, but I quit in 2010.  The last time I saw Chris was about 3 years ago in Revelstoke when a group of friends (also Power Measurement/Schneider Electric employees) came on a ski trip.  What a co-inky-dink!  Neither one of us knew that the other would be in the Galapagos, never mind on a more remote island.  Wow, what a small world it can be.  And to think, if that other restaurant had had bread, I would have missed him walking by, only 50 meters away.  It made me wonder how many “close misses” you must have from encountering someone you know.  We made plans to catch up over some drinks later.


Interesting lots and backyards...volcanic rock.  At least you don't have to mow the lawn!

My reservation for the next two nights was at the Black Pearl, a small guesthouse owned and run by a Dutch woman Lienke and her husband, a local, named Dario.   The place was near the edge of town but that’s not far in Puerto Villamil, maybe 7-800 meters.  The main roads are made of fabricated concreted blocks but on the outskirts it’s crushed volcanic rock, a good reminder of how this island came to be.


Lienke was super congenial and helpful.  She showed me the recently finished room, which was quite nice with 15 foot high ceilings, a single and double bed and a modern bathroom.  Then I received a very thorough and useful briefing on things that I could do on the island during my two day stay.  Unfortunately, one of the most popular snorkeling tours was fully booked up (Los Tunels) but I decided on renting a bike from her to do a 17 kilometre ride out to Radar Hill, a 150 meter high hill, in an area where the giant tortoises like to hang out.

 

I rode through town and started heading along the road that paralleled the coastline.  The beach was lovely with fine sand and turquoise water and hardly a soul on it.  The sand had been blown back onto sections of the road which made the cycling a little challenging at times, but I managed.  A few kilometres from town, there was a small gatehouse, a chain fence blocking the road, some outhouses and an information sign.  A park ranger appeared and told me in Spanish to read the sign, so that I was aware of the “Do and Do Nots” of the area.  He pulled out a clipboard and I wrote down my name, country and guesthouse I was staying at.


A gorgeous beach with hardly anyone on it. 


A cemetery just off of the beach.  Pretty good place to lay to rest.

Then the ranger asked me for some help and motioned down the road, beyond the chain gate.  From what I could make out from his Spanish, he needed help with a “Tortuga”, a tortoise.  We walked about 20 meters and there was a one-meter-wide sandy path to the beach with rocks lining each side.  Twenty feet in, there was a giant tortoise just standing there.  I guess the ranger wanted to relocate him further into the park, away from vehicle traffic.  Another ranger pulled up with a pickup truck.  There were a few other tourists there and I figured maybe four of us would lift this huge reptile into the back of the truck, but after five minutes, the original ranger told us all that we could move on.  I decided to stick around.



The ranger poked and prodded at the back of the turtle and did get him to walk out towards the truck.  The driver of the truck had disappeared so the ranger asked if I could help.  I quickly put down my small daypack, propped up my phone, and proceeded to start a video.  The ranger popped around to the more dangerous front side, while I grabbed the shell from the back.  Man, he was heavy!  We lifted the tortoise up to the tailgate and were an inch or two too low.  The poor reptile was not happy and was hissing while flailing his feet.  A little extra effort and we got the cold blooded, unappreciative boy into the box.  Whew.  The other ranger reappeared, and they both hopped into the truck to deliver the guy further into the park.  Good deed done.

The giant tortoise making his way towards the truck.
Helping the park ranger lift the tortoise onto the truck for relocation to a safer spot.  Unfortunately I couldn't get the video to load on this site, so I had to resort to a screenshot.

I guess you're not supposed to touch them...but hey, if a ranger asks for your help and it's for the benefit of the tortoise, we can bend the rules a bit.

Hopping back on my bike, I began the ride towards Radar Hill.  There were a number of signs for various side attractions, like some ponds or beaches, but I decided that I would hit those on my way back…might as well get the effort out of the way first.  Near the end of the road, I did stop and hike up a small hill with a nice lookout.  I could then see the final destination, Radar Hill, not too far away.


The view from the first lookout.

The stairs up to the lookout.  My bike is in that little clearing on the left.

At the base of Radar Hill is a massive, seemingly purposeless, wall of lava rocks called the “Wall of Tears”.  It reaches about 30 feet high, 10 feet at its base and extends for a few hundred feet from the base of the hill.  It was constructed between 1946-1959 when there was a penal colony on the island.  It must have been very unpleasant work and the idea of some sadistically motivated warden as the sharp-edged rocks must have been nasty to work with.  We humans do some strange things at times…


The Wall of Tears.

Hard to see the scale of it, but it's at least 30 feet tall.

This is the view of the wall from the top.  I'm not sure if the colour selection was the best for the Stop sign...kinda mixed signals.

Reaching the top of the 150 meter knoll, I soaked in the view.  The US military had a radar installation here during World War II but it has since been dismantled and a lot of the metal was repurposed for constructing the church in Puerto Villamil.


The remnants of the old radar station.

Looking back towards Puerto Villamil (in the middle of the picture).  Looks like I biked and hiked a long way!


A tortoise just waking up from his nap under a tree.




They sure are alien looking, these marine iguanas.


A lava tube by the ocean...like a little cave.

On my return, I stopped at a few ponds and a beach called Playa del Amor.  The “love” reference is for the marine iguanas who have there nesting grounds on the sand.  I stopped to search for the mostly black coloured lizards and there were quite a few of them nicely camouflaged in the black lava rocks by the water.  All of a sudden I saw something different moving by the water.  It was brown and moved faster than the lizards…is that?  What?  A cat!?!  Yup, I guess there are some feral cats on this island who like to feed on young lizards and tortoises.  Huh.


Spot the iguanas...

One of a few ponds I visited.

The gorgeous beach again, on my way back.

This is looking back were I went to.  The little hill is the Radar Hill I climbed up.

An iguana party!

I guess not everyone was invited.  This guy remained on the boardwalk, about five feet above the previous picture.

I love the trails in the mud/sand that the iguanas leave.

It was a nice walk to the tortoise breeding centre.

Spotted a few flamingos searching for food in the mud.

Yup, it's a tortoise breeding center.

These are the babies, just 1 or 2 years old and a bit bigger than the size of you hand.

It looks exhausting to be a giant tortoise!

The young ones.

Later that afternoon, I grabbed some snorkelling equipment from the guesthouse and cycled down to the docks.  There’s a great little bay nearby and I saw quite a few things in the water:  a sleeping sea turtle, a dozing stingray, a swimming iguana and a bunch of colourful fish.  What a great way to end the afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment