Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Lava Tubes, Craters & Horny Tortoises

December 30th, 2021

The ferry back to Santa Cruz left at an ungodly hour of 6 am, which meant I needed to be at the pier by 5:30.  The reason for the boats leaving an hour earlier than the ones coming the other way is in case tourists need to make a late morning flight.  Even though there were probably 4-5 boats doing the same trip, for some reason they all have to leave at the same time.  I couldn’t make sense of why a few of them couldn’t leave later, for those not catching a plane but I imagine it just makes logistics easier. 

A sea lion greeting me at the pier early in the morning.


I was on a different vessel this time and it was a bit bigger and the seats in the lower deck faced forward unlike the boat coming over that had two benches facing each other.  As we pulled up in the water taxi, I noticed the seats on the upper deck where the helm is located and asked the captain if I could go up top and the permission was granted.  In the end, there were only two other passengers up top, so it was fairly luxurious.  There seemed to be some problem getting one of the 250 horsepower outboard engines going but eventually we were off.  It was surprisingly bumpy for that early in the morning and I even got splashed from some waves even though I was on the upper deck but all in all, it was a nice ride.

The quiet bay at Port Villamil:


En route to Santa Cruz.
Floreana Island.  It has a strange history.  In 1932, a couple from Berlin decided to escape modern world and settled here but later that year another woman, a self described baroness, arrived with her 2 male gigolos.  Soon there were disappearances and accusations of murder in what became known as "The Galapagos Affair".  Weird stuff.

Yup, it was a bit breezy and chilly.

Arriving back at Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz island.

Back on Santa Cruz, the most populated island of the group, I walked back to my guesthouse from a few days ago and checked in.  I asked the owner Edison what my options for activities for the afternoon were and he suggested the Highlands Tour.  This included a giant tortoise sanctuary, some lava tubes that you can walk through and some lava craters.  Sounds good, so he ordered me a taxi.


My room in Hostal White House...note the "towel ray".

My taxi driver was a friendly 25-year-old local and we chatted a bit (with my broken Spanish) en route to El Chato Ranch, the sanctuary that included some lava tubes.  It was about 10-15 minutes out of Puerto Ayora, on the road towards the north side of the island.  The driveway was about a kilometre long through a tunnel of trees that had been pruned to touch each other about 20 feet above the road.  In the fenced off fields on either side were Galapa-cows and some giant tortoises.


The tunnel of trees.

Both me and the taxi driver got out of the pickup truck in the small parking lot and walked over to the main building where I bought my entrance ticket and was told that it would be 5-10 minutes until the next tour started.  There was a cafeteria, small cafeteria and a private restaurant but there was hardly anyone else in the place except for one family from Maryland with their two daughters around 6-8 years old.



This was harder to get into than you'd think!

The tour began with the five of us, me and the American family, and the tour guide was great.  He was a young local guy who had gone off to study tourism at the university in Guayaquil and returned to his home island.  He was full of information as we wandered around the grounds where giant tortoises were roaming around.


They are wonderful creatures.

As we approached what looked like an entrance to a cave, the guide asked if we’d like to see a lava tube.  The two girls were immediately scared and expressed their intent of not wanting to go in…until mom claimed that there was ice cream inside.  Interesting ploy, and it worked.  These tubes are created when lava is flowing from an eruption and the outside layer is cooled by the air and it hardens.  Meanwhile, the lava in the middle continues to flow and eventually empties out and leaves the hollow tube.  Pretty cool.


In the lava tubes.  The upper one is the black patch in the middle top of the picture.

I looked at pictures of these tubes online before coming here and this one was by far not the biggest one that I had seen, but what was cool was that there was a tube on top of a tube.  Strange to think of how that was formed.  Another neat thing was that where they had hung light bulbs a foot or two off of the tube floor to light the path, somehow seeds had made their way into the tunnel and were only able to survive, yet not thrive, right underneath the little bit of light.

Life tries to exist wherever it can.

The exit.

Exiting the tunnel, we were greeted by an interesting noise.  A strange kind of grunting.  Well wouldn’t you know it, we had a bit of action going on.  Not to be outdone by Peru where I saw two alpacas getting it on at Machu Picchu…Ecuador comes back with a couple of giant tortoises doing the nasty!  Once again it was the male making the funny noise and the female looking around as if nothing was going on.  Good to see that the sanctuary is working.

What's going on here?!?

He sure is testing how strong her shell is...
Lovin' the mud hole.

Where I squatted for the photo made the tortoise look gi-normous!

The first of two craters:
The other "Gemolo" across the highway.

After the sanctuary, the taxi driver took me about 5 minutes further up the road to check out a couple of huge craters, called Los Gemelos (the twins) located on either side of the highway.  They must have been at least 100 meters deep and about 3-400 meters across and full of vegetation including some fairly tall trees.  Pretty cool looking.  I snapped some pictures and then we were back on our way into town and then headed down to the seaside in town.

The sea lions are obviously quite comfortable around humans...and so cute!
Frigates flying around:
Action at the fish dock:
I found a nice spot to work on my blog before dinner!

It was a nice way to spend the afternoon and I had a relatively early night as tomorrow the plan is to go scuba diving…for my first time in 6 years so I am definitely rusty and will be feeling a few nerves before the first dive.

No comments:

Post a Comment