Friday, January 7, 2022

Go Go GalapaGos!

December 27th, 2021

I have to admit that when originally planned to come to Ecuador, I briefly thought about the Galapagos Islands but somewhat dismissed it.  I’d always heard that it was quite expensive, and I wasn’t sure if I had the time for it but c’mon, when in Rome…  I figured that I may never be in Ecuador again so I should definitely go.  In future years, you look back on the amazing experiences you’ve had and how awesome it was, but you never think “Geez, I wish I still had that $1500”.

 

While in Montanita at Casa del Sol, thankfully Jackson and Athena brought up the fact that I needed a Covid PCR test to go to the Galapagos.  What?!?  Aren’t we still in the same country?  Yup, but it is still required.  Jackson made it as painless as possible as he arranged a guy to come to the guesthouse to do the test and I received the results the day before I had to fly out.


Entering the Guayaquil Airport:


Lots of koi!

The departure lounge:

Ready to go:

Bye Guayaquil.

Hard to tell from the video, but they are spraying some kind of disinfectant into the overhead compartments.


It's a 2 hour flight from Guayaquil to the Galapagos as the islands are 1000 kilometres offshore, so it is also one hour behind the mainland of Ecuador.  The main airport that most tourists fly into is on Baltra Island, just a bit north of the main island called Santa Cruz and seems to be pretty barren.  From there you take a bus for about 10 minutes for $5 which is a bit of a ripoff, then a 2 minute boat ride across a narrow strait to Santa Cruz (another $1) and finally a $5 bus for a 45 minute venture from one side of the island to the other where the most populated town of all of the islands, Puerto Ayora, is located.  The population is about 12,000.

My first glimpse of the islands:

Landed.



The airport tower...saw my first iguana a minute later.  Game on!

The bus ride over the Santa Cruz was interesting.  It began with fairly barren land with volcanic rock and a bit of vegetation.  That morphed into a greener landscape with 10 foot trees and lush undergrowth.  As we reached the middle and high point of the island (remember, this land was made by a volcano), it got chilly compared to the humid area we came from.  As we began to descend, there was the first sign of human habitation with a few farms lining the road.  Then boom, the first sighting of a giant tortoise, then another and another…then a field of bumpy mounds with tall grass where I saw more tortoises in the span of a few hundred meters than the rest of my life combined!  Sweet, but I didn’t have my camera ready…

The bus ride across Baltra.

Time for the short ferry.

The colour of the water was gorgeous...can't tell in this pic.

We arrived at the docks, at the end of the main road of town, and I walked the 6-7 blocks to my accommodation, Hostal White House.  There were two 10-year-old boys by the front desk in the courtyard and one of them named Edison, began the process of checking me in.  Then his dad, Edison Senior, took over.  It really isn’t a hostel, it’s a small hotel with seven rooms on two levels that open onto the courtyard.  The room was decent, nice and clean with a single and double bed.

 

Later I ventured out to get the lay of the land and to also try and find a scuba centre to book some dives for when I returned from Isabella Island and to maybe reserve some other excursions.  The most popular dive site seemed to be Gordon’s Rock, where hammerhead sharks are prevalent.  It’s been 6 years since I last dove, which was a wicked dive in Panama where I was a 10 feet away from some 15 meter long whale sharks…amazing to say the least!  I was told that Gordon’s Rock was probably not a good dive to get “back in the water” with and one shop said I could go but I would require a dive master just for me and that would add an additional $120 to the already $170 for 2 dives.  That’s an expensive day as these prices are in US dollars.  I opted to go with another store that had availability on the 31st for a couple of easier dive sites and then I could dive at Gordon’s on January 2nd as nobody is diving on New Year’s Day, for the obvious reasons.  That sounded perfect, so I booked the trip.


On the ferry ride, I was given a 2 for 1 ticket for a beer at the "Prague Brew Pub"...so I had to try it out.  Pretty good!

Guess what this is...  Yup, you're right, a jewellery store?!?  This was across the street from the pub.


That left the 1st of January for a day trip and the most popular is cruising over to Bartolome (Bartholomew) Island, which is super picturesque, but I could not find any company going there that day.  It seems like the tours give a reprieve to various destinations for a day here or there so that there is not a constant stream of tourist groups bombarding a specific location.  Not a bad idea.  Let the flora and fauna relax once in a while.  I decided that I’d figure out something to do on New Year's Day when I returned from Isabela Island where I was heading in the morning for a couple of nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment