Thursday, November 18, 2021

Paragliding a Massive Sand Dune

 November 12th, 2021

While sitting in Banana’s hostel, I overheard a couple of people talking about going tandem paragliding so I asked them about the details.  I had seen the tall Dutch guy named Raenear the night before during the big Peru versus Bolivia World Cup qualifying match which thankfully Peru won 3-0.  Raenear, who pointed out his palindromic name when I asked how he spelt it, suggested I contact the paragliding company via Instagram.  Both he and his girlfriend Sibel were going to try paragliding for the first time.

 

I met up with them and the tandem pilot Fernando at 4:30 pm at Hotel Rocha, near the entrance to Huacachina.  The wind was from the south (although it was tough to tell down in the oasis so I deferred to Fernando’s knowledge of the area) so we began hiking up the tall dune behind the hotel which curled around towards our hostel.  It is the dune that you can see a guy sandboarding down on my last blog post.  It was a bit of a slog walking up in the sand with a paraglider on my back but not too bad.  We reached a shoulder about 2/3 of the way up and Fernando thought we’d be fine to start from there…nobody disagreed as that meant less climbing.

Raenear and me starting up the dune:

Raenear and Sibel on their way up:


Almost there...


The wind was fairly strong so I opted to wait and see how Fernando faired with one of the tandems.  I was a bit surprised when he let Raenear and Sibel decide who would go first as I would have taken the tall, heavier guy first, considering the conditions.  Sibel wanted to try first so Fernando pulled out a 2 liter plastic pop bottle and started filling it up with sand for a little extra ballast.  It seemed like a lot of effort to add only 1-2 kilograms of weight.

 Sibel and Fernando ready to go:

Their launch was good and they had no problem staying up.  Fernando pushed forward at times in order to prevent getting blown over the back.  I had already unpacked my wing but decided that it looked a bit strong with thermic gusts occasionally blasting through.  I wouldn’t be as heavily wing loaded as they were on the tandem.  After about 10 minutes they safely landed beside us and Fernando not surprisingly reported that it was strong so I decided to wait for the sun to set.

 Ready to go:


Almost a half hour later, Fernando strapped an excited Raenear into his harness and I took off just shortly after they did.  What a cool site!  Ridge soaring by this massive, steep sand dune while looking down on the oasis below and off to the right at the undulating sand dunes lit up in the sunset glow was super awesome.  At one point, I pretty much flew right over Banana’s hostel but I was quite sure that no one was looking up.

Sibel took a video of me launching, but it's not this one.  In hers, there is a couple in front of her who are also filming me.  When I arrived in Nazca about 3 days later I met a young American couple, Michael and Sarah, and they recognized my stupidly big backpack.  I told them it was a paraglider and they surprisingly said that they had a video and some pics of me.  Awesome!


I'm the wing in the distance, Fernando and Raenear are in the foreground.

The conditions were a bit turbulent at times which seemed a bit odd as the thermic activity had to be tapering off since the sun had set.  After about 10 minutes, I hit a good patch of sink and questioned if I was going to make it over a small ridge at the far end of the dune, away from the take off, to where I was planning on landing.  It was a flat spot where the dune buggies loitered while waiting for their passengers but thankfully most of them were somewhere out in the desert for sunset.  “Trust the physics” I thought as I turned back towards the takeoff, assuming that the wind flowing up the dune would provide some lift…but it didn’t.  I just maintained my height for about 50 meters, turned back and decided to not risk it and head straight to the landing zone.

 

Approaching the LZ was fine, just a bit of dodging of dune buggies was required.  That was something new!  A few minutes after I landed, Fernando and Raenear came down about 50 meters away.  Raenear loved it just as Sibel had.  I packed up my wing and thanked Fernando for his site briefing and returned for a nice cold one at Banana’s.  Sibel and Raenear joined me soon after and we had a nice evening hanging out at the bar.

 Safely landed with the tandem still in the air:

Flying a huge sand dune at an oasis…super sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment