Thursday, November 18, 2021

A Marriage Proposal in the Desert...No Not Mine!

November 13th, 2021

The following day after my first dune flight, Fernando told me that he had a couple of tandems in the morning and I could tag along if I liked.  This time we would be hopping into a dune buggy and heading out into the desert…that sounded interesting.  Additionally, the tandem passengers were a couple coming from Lima and the guy was going to propose to his girlfriend of 8 years!

We walked up to the dune buggy staging area and hopped in one with Fernando’s assistant Augosto, also a pilot, accompanying us.  He had brought along a simple picnic for the couple for after the flights.  Roaring into the desert, I was slightly dismayed when the first seatbelt I tried to put on came right out of the seat and the second one was quite loose and could not be adjusted.  At least it passed over both shoulders so I should be alright if we rolled!

Our ride:


It was a bumpy ride with a few nice stomach turning moments as we dropped down a few steep slopes, which I liked.  Stopping on a flat area near a few dunes, Augusto hopped out with the slightly stealthily packed picnic crate in his hands.  The rest of us drove up a dune, pulled out our paragliding gear, and started to get ready.  The wind was coming up the L shaped dune but one leg of the L was running parallel to the breeze.  It wasn’t the first place I would have picked to try flying, but I’m not the expert here, Fernando has been doing tandems in the area for five years.


Awesome sand dunes:


Getting ready:


Sheyla was first on a tandem and they had a few aborted launches before taking off.  Sadly within 2 minutes they were on the ground, about three quarters of a kilometre from the base of the hill and no where near Augusto, who was around the bend of the dune.  The dune buggy raced down, picked her up and they tried again.  In the meantime, I just played around with my wing but none of the cycles of wind seemed consistent.  Some were strong but short lived.  They were just thermals passing by.

Sheyla's first flight:

Round two with Sheyla was identical.  I’m sure that this wasn’t what Manuel had envisioned.  Sheyla remained below and the dune buggy came back up with Fernando to take Manuel for his flight.  Fernando and Augosto had prepared a big banner to attach to the paraglider that proposed “SHEY, QUIERES CASARTE CON MIGO?” in big black letters followed by a heart (Shey, will you marry me?).  As Fernando tied the sign to his paraglider, I noticed that the dune buggy with Sheyla, Augosto and the driver had parked about 150 meters off to the side from the spot where Fernando and Sheyla had landed both times.  Fernando spotted it too and sent a few texts to Augosto to tell him to get closer but they remained where they were.

 Fernando and Manuel preparing for flight:


I decided to wait and film their takeoff with the banner.  I have to admit, it looked pretty cool.  But as expected, they had the exact same flight path as the previous two flights and landed a fair distance from the buggy.  I could see Manuel running over and proposing and saw them hug…she must have said yes (or “Si” in this case).  Pretty awesome.  I asked later and sadly Sheyla hadn’t been able to read the banner, but had seen the heart and put two and two together.

 The launch:


Flying down...I'm sure with Manuel's heart pounding:

The verdict:

Okay, my turn to fly down, as I don’t want to hold them up.  Wouldn’t you know it, the wind completely died.  I stood there for 3-4 minutes, roasting in the late morning sun, hoping for a little puff to help me launch.  Trying a forward launch in this sand did not seem appealing, or likely successful.  A little blast of air came up the slope and I took off and subsequently landed near the newly engaged couple and the other guys, also scoring all of a 2 minute flight…but fun nonetheless.

 

I packed up as quickly as I could, and we drove around the corner where Augosto had laid out a thin blanket and there were a few bowls of grapes, almonds, cranberries and dried mango.  The couple popped a bottle of champagne and toasted to their engagement.  I later asked Sheyla whether it was a surprise, and it was.

Salud!


Returning back to Huacachina:

Felicidades Sheyla and Manuel!

No comments:

Post a Comment