Sunday, November 7, 2021

Paragliding in Paracas

November 6th-7th

I contacted Eduardo, the contact that I got from Jose Rosas on my first day in Paracas.  We met at 9:30 am and drove about 8 kilometres into the National Reserve, pretty close to La Cattedrale that I visited when I first arrived.  The beach was called Playa Supay.  The wind was coming in, but not quite enough to fly yet, however within 20 minutes, it was on.

 


The beach:



Another pilot from France, Christophe, showed up with his wife and later a “student” of Eduardo named Christian.  I put student in quotes as he hardly seemed like a student…the next day he did a tandem with his girlfriend…  Eduardo gave me a site briefing.  It is a ridge right by the ocean with a pretty big beach to land on should you sink out.  My guess is that it the ridge was about 200’ high and extended about 2-3 kilometres to the south.  Eduardo suggested gaining some height right by the launch before attempting to cruise down the ridge.

 Looking north:


I was the first to launch and I was pleased not to get dragged back as there were a lot of hard, crusty rocks on the plateau and if you lost your footing, it could hurt.  As expected, the sea breeze was strong but relatively laminar.  I watched below as poor Christophe had a few botched launches and got dragged a bit.  I followed Eduardo’s instructions and gained some height by this rocky promontory before eventually heading down the ridge.  All went well for the first kilometre but then I began to lose height as the wind wasn’t hitting the ridge straight on.  I turned tail to run back but continued to sink and I was flying along quite fast.  I made sure to have enough height to turn back around into the wind to land on the beach.  Damn.

 In flight...hoping to not to drop my phone!



Oh well, I continued to kite the wing and used it to help pull me down the beach back towards the launch as well as moving slowly up the slope.  I was able to make a small flight for a few hundred meters before landing again but then promptly took off again, climbed up and was back in the game.

 Christophe in the air:




Christian was in the air too but later I saw that he had top landed and Christophe had landed below.  There seemed to be more whitecaps on the water, and I’d flown for over an hour so it had to be approaching 11:30.  I decided to go for a top landing.  As I touched down, Christian came running up and grabbed my brakes and ran backwards away from me to kill my glider, a technique we used to employ when I was doing tandems in strong wind in Goa, India.  Nice flight!  It’s always great to try a new site.

 Christophe's wife Narda took this video:




The following day Eduardo told me to meet him at 10:30.  I figured that the wind was lighter that morning but no, that wasn’t the case.  It was honking…coming in at 30+ km/hr.  I could see that Christian was down on the beach with his girlfriend and he was trying to sort out a wing.  Eduardo suggested that I go down and join him and if I flew, to stay below the ridge.  There’s a phenomenon called a Venturi where the air gets compressed as it goes over a ridge (or through a narrow gap) so the wind gets much faster compared to the base of the ridge.

 

It was still fairly windy on the beach but doable.  It pained me slightly to open up my fairly new school wing, a Macpara Muse 5.  I had purchased this year and it had less than ten hours of flying on it.  Sand is just horrible for paragliding wings as is salty air, but what’s the point in owning it if you don’t use it right?!?

 

Christian took his girlfriend on a tandem flight while I kited and then had a bunch of little flights.  I was very cautious about not getting lifted up too high, which seemed easy to do.  It was a lot of fun playing around on the sand.  As Eduardo called it, Playa Supay was a poor man’s Dune de Pyla, a famous sand dune in France that is a playground for paraglider pilots.  I’ve been there before back in 2010 but sadly that is when Betty (my campervan) died and a French couple helped me change the entire diesel engine in their backyard over 11 days.  Sadly, I only got to spend about 3-4 hours at Dune de Pyla over that time.

 

After about 45 minutes, I’d had enough.  The harness I brought to Peru isn’t easy for me to get into so a lot of the time I was hanging by the leg straps and after a while, the inner thighs weren’t too happy!  Lots of fun though and great practice ground handling the wing in strong wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment