Thursday, November 11, 2021

Kite Surfing Lessons in Paracas

November 4th, 6th & 9th

Six years ago in Costa Rica, I took some kitesurfing lessons for a little over a week.  I was able to water start with some success and perhaps travel about 30 meters but that was about it.  I was unable to go up wind or turn around but I could retrieve my board should I have a bad wipeout (which I definitely did!).  It was a challenging spot as there were always 1-3 foot waves…not ideal for learning.

 

Before arriving in Paracas I noticed that kitesurfing was an option in the area so I extended my original stay from 5 to 9 days as I also planned on paragliding.  Thanks again to the local entrepreneur Jose Rosas, whom I met on the first day, I had contact info for Jose Luiz.  I wouldn’t have found him otherwise as he only advertises on Instagram and doesn’t have a website or storefront.

 

Jose Luiz picked me up at the Kokopelli Hostel, where I was staying, and we drove about 10 minutes to the beach in Paracas Bay, where all the flamingos like to hang out (I previously only saw them from the Peru Hop bus on my arrival from a kilometre away).  In the Land Cruiser with Jose Luiz was Andres, one of his assistant instructors who spoke about as much English as I spoke Spanish.  Jose Luiz was towing a trailer which turned out to be his shop as it contained all of his kitesurfing gear.  We entered a bamboo fenced off area and backed into an opening that just fit the trailer and had a sign for his school above it.

 

I was given a wetsuit, thin lifejacket that almost resembled a bulletproof vest, a harness and a helmet with a radio in a waterproof pouch that was duct taped to the straps by one ear.  The kite was already pumped up and the lines were already attached so we began with a bit of kiting on the ground before I ventured into the water to see if I could remember how to body drag.  Body dragging is very important because if you wipeout and lose your board, you need to be able to retrieve it, even if it is upwind from you.  It was quite windy and I felt that in one direction I was just maintaining, not actually going up wind but not going downwind yet Jose was happy enough with that…so it was time to add the board to the equation.

 

During my lessons in Costa Rica, I learned the hard way to not overpower the kite and do a “Superman” while trying to water start.  You can imagine what it looks like.  You leave your board behind as you are catapulted out of the water with your arms outstretched…not fun but it looks spectacular.  So, I slowly built up the power and eventually I did have some success but the furthest I probably stayed up was about 30 meters.  Still, at the end of 2 ½ hours, I was pleased with my progress and how much muscle memory was left from 6 years ago.


Sorry, I couldn't flip this video to save my life...too bad, as it was a good water start!  Just turn your head...

The next day I was sore, especially my stomach muscles (wrong kind of muscle memory!).  Obviously, my technique wasn’t great, and when technique isn’t good, you overuse muscles that you shouldn’t be.  I took a day off to recoup but did another 2 hour lesson on the 6th, with more success.  I was riding 40-50 meters at a time before being told to sit down in the water and come back the other way.  No need to get too far away from the shore.  I definitely didn’t swallow as much ocean water compared to the last lesson.  That morning I had gone paragliding as well and it was quite windy so most of the time I was kiting on the ground and it was also a bit of a workout.  Needless to say, I was exhausted that evening and the following day.

 

Unfortunately the next few days were not very windy so I was down to my final afternoon that I could do lessons before leaving Paracas.  Once again Jose Luiz picked me up but there were three young guys (21 years old) from the hostel joined us.  Oscar, Julian and Yves, a couple of Swiss and a French guy who now lives in Switzerland, were at about the same skill level as me.  It was a good session.  I was getting up consistently and riding a fair distance.  I even tried a few transitions (turning around) but never quite dialled that in. 



I did have one good wipeout and lost the board and then the kite turned over in the water.  It took me a good 3-4 minutes to recover with no instructions on the radio.  By this time, I had drifted further and further away from my board and it was actually hard to locate.  Once in a while I had to bring the wing up to 12 o’clock and sheet in the bar to lift myself out of the water a bit and scan around.  After about 5 minutes of body dragging, I saw Jose Luiz coming out in a boat to help me.  He chucked me another board and went hunting for mine.  I was able to get up and ride back to shore.  I didn’t feel too bad as Oscar rode really far out, lost his board, and had to be picked up in the boat.

Near the end of the session, a few lightbulbs went off in my head and I was finally able to ride upwind.  Not always, but it definitely wasn’t a one off.  I can see the appeal of this sport.  It is more effort than paragliding but fun nonetheless.  I think I might just have to return to Paracas in January when I come back from Ecuador and do a few more lessons. 

 

My instructors - Jorge in the front, Jose Luiz on the left and Andres in the back:


I can see having future trips dedicated to kitesurfing too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment