Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Lazing About at Lake Taupo


December 27th, 2019
Leaving the Tongariro area I finally got some great looks at the mountains that I’d hiked over from all directions as the skies were clear.  It was a nice parting gift.

The Mountain of Doom!




The backside where the hike came down (from the right ridge down).

I headed north towards Lake Taupo, the largest lake in New Zealand.  After snapping a few pics at a nice viewpoint before reaching the lake, I descended the hill to get on the highway.  “Thermal Pools” was on a sign by the road heading a short distance in the opposite direction to where I was headed but I decided to check it out.  There were some hot pools, like a swimming pool but fed by hot springs, that you could pay to enter but it was already a hot day and that didn’t tickle my fancy.  However, you could take a 15 minute walk around on a boardwalk and check out some of the vents, mud pools and thermal pools.  It wasn’t bad.

The viewpoint of Lake Taupo:

A thermal pool:


Hopping back on the highway it was chock a block with traffic.  Pretty much every highway in New Zealand is single lane in each direction which doesn’t help when it gets busy.  Lake Taupo is a beautiful lake, and a big one at that.  At the north side is the small city Taupo.  I pulled into a viewpoint and snapped a few more pics, had some lunch and enjoyed watching some tandem skydivers descending under canopy to the small airport nearby.

Looking back at the Tongariro mountains:


There was a freedom camping spot a few clicks away and I decided it was worth spending a night in this area, especially if I could park close to the lake.  I deked into town, which was stymied with traffic, grabbed some groceries and replenished my water supplies and arrived at the camp spot at about 1:30.  There were spots available but it didn’t look like I’d be lakeside.  Luckily though as I drove down to one end, two cars pulled out and voila, beachfront property!


It was a lovely afternoon and my neighbours were John and Faye, a couple in their late 50s or early 60s.  Their daughter, her husband and two kids were by for a short visit.  They also had a couple of dogs, a cocker spaniel named George and a little terrier, Penny.  I had a nice chat with them in the latter half of the afternoon and was even treated to a cod sandwich made by Faye, but from a fish John had caught.  All of this was topped off with a lovely sunset.




The next morning, I walked out to the one and only long drop toilet and was shocked at how many campers, trailers and vans had arrived during the previous afternoon and evening.  I almost felt like I was at a concert festival.  I was so glad that I was over in the far corner with nice neighbours.  I was also very lucky to get straight into the outhouse.  When I came out 5 minutes later, there was a family of 5 and two other people waiting in line!

Time to move on and get off the beaten path.  On Braden’s next recommendation, I’m heading to Minginui, about 2 hours to the east.

No comments:

Post a Comment