Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Hot Water Beach & Whiti Farm

January 5th, 2020
Low tide was at 9 am but I doddled a bit leaving the campsite as I hadn’t slept terribly well the night before, plus I wanted to have a fried egg with toast breakfast.  Most of my time in New Zealand my breakfasts have been simple, yogurt with some granola.  But when I have the luxury of access to a toaster, well it’s time for something different.

I arrived at Hot Water Beach around 10 am, still within the recommended time to visit.  I stopped in a café before the beach to rent, or sorry in this country “hire”, a spade for $5 plus a $20 deposit.  A café closer to the beach was $10 so my scouting from yesterday paid off.  Seemed a bit funny to walk up to the counter of a dining establishment with breakfast muffins and croissants behind a glass casing and ask for a shovel.  And sure enough the lady reached down below the counter and pulled out a digging tool.

Even though I’d visited the beach yesterday, I didn’t walk far out onto it so I didn’t know how much of the beach usable for this endeavour, and it turns out, not much.  There was probably a 30-50 meter wide area where a throng of humanity was congregated.  Closer to the water there were some individuals lying in pools, further up the beach some guys looked like they were digging to China and the majority of people were standing around taking in the spectacle.  From later research I found out that there are a couple of geothermal fissures that filter hot water up to the surface that can be as hot as 64 degrees Celsius!



That was not exactly what was happening when I was there.  There were 3-4 pools with 3-4 people lounging in each of them.  Their water level was only about a foot deep.  A few abandoned pools were here and there and I stuck my foot in a few of them and found out why they were abandoned…cold.  People further away from the water had to dig deeper, or at least that’s what they thought, but I didn’t see any of them having success…just getting a good work out.  I did wander by one of the pools by the shoreline with some people lounging in and quickly stuck my toes in and yes, it was warm, not quite hot tub warm but decent.  I think being there half an hour before low tide would be key but I never imagined it being so busy.  So I wandered back to the café after about half an hour, having just paid $5 to take a shovel for a walk.

Look how deep these guys are:


Some abandoned pools:

It looks like a quiet beach, all the mayhem is just around the corner above the people.

Continuing north up the Coromandel Peninsula, I saw on CamperMate a hobby farm called Whiti Farm Park that sounded interesting.  I pulled into the small unpaved parking lot and was immediately greeted by a couple of dogs, one little guy and a mid sized part border collie who looked to be in his senior years.  They were both super friendly and quite the welcoming committee.


The entrance fee was $10 and it was totally worth it.  You could buy some pellets to feed some of the animals, but I opted not to.  There were turtles, budgies, chickens, goats, miniature horses, a boar, rabbits, donkeys and even some exotic animals like emus and ostriches.  The layout of the place was fantastic, including a “secret garden” area.  I was kind of surprised to see a couple of enclosed areas with cats in them.  One had all the females and the other the single “cat of the house”.


Miniature horse:


Love it!



You could tell that the farmers really loved their animals as there were a few signs here and there of “past stars”, animals that had died but had played a special role at the farm.  My favourite was a border collie who was there for 10 years and every day he’d be waiting for the gates to open in the morning.  He was the guide.  He’d greet people in the parking lot, show them the way to the reception to buy their ticket and then walk them around the farm.  Supposedly he was the star of the place and even visitors who had a slight fear of dogs were comfortable with him.  Super cool.




There was an interesting deer who had a condition where his antlers didn’t shed the velvet that forms at the start of the growth process due to an imbalance in testosterone levels.  The farm hand raised this deer although they didn’t elaborate on how he came into their possession and they had to have him castrated by a vet as otherwise he would be aggressive during mating season and run into the fence over and over and hurt himself and maybe others.  So now he has this condition called cryptorchidism, supposedly not painful, just not pretty.  He seemed okay when I wandered by, maybe just not happy that I didn’t have any food for him.



Near to him were a couple of emus (also not happy I didn’t have food for them) and then the ostriches.  What crazy birds.  One was by the gate and was definitely checking out whether I had anything for him.  A sign stated that you could feed them, if you were brave enough.  The ostrich took a pretty big crap, then the other one walked over and the two of them proceeded to eat it!  Okay, glad I didn’t have any pellets and tried hand feeding them.

Emus:

An ostrich:

Eating "lunch"...
Probably the most exotic animal that I’m not sure if I’d seen before was the Valais blacknose sheep native to Switzerland.  They were funny looking guys, in a cute way.  Raised for both their meat and their wool, they looked like they could have been from a Star Wars movie.  Supposedly they have a very mild and friendly disposition and that is what I experienced.

The Valais blacknose sheep:

The secret garden:


Strange lunch buddies:

Very cool farm and I have to admit I left with a smile.

I travelled further up the Coromandel Peninsula, somewhat off of the beaten path.  I passed through the small town of Coromandel on the west coast of the peninsula and then headed back over towards the east side, only some 20-30 kilometres away but it was a twisty, turny gravel road up and down a small mountain range.  For a while I probably averaged 30 km/h.  Arriving on the other side I found a freedom camping spot called Little Bay.  It was an unpaved parking lot with a small building with long drop toilets.  There were the familiar “camp between these arrows” signs but surprisingly I was the only campervan there.  The rest of the vehicles (only a half dozen of them) were locals who were either on the beach or out on a boat.

I parked and checked out the beach and it was lovely, a nice little bay, sandy, some islands out in the near distance and a nice little sailboat anchored just offshore.  Grabbing my camping chair, I wandered down to the far end and wrote a few postcards.  The sky transitioned to an orange tinge…the Australian smoke was back.  By 4:30 it was too dark for my sunglasses, and remember, it’s summer here so the sun doesn’t set until almost 9 pm.


The eerie sky:


Returning to my van, I grabbed my guitar and sat on a picnic table to practise a bit.  A Kiwi named Paul from Gisborne who was on holiday came over and we chatted a bit.  He had a cool little dog ironically named “Tank”.  A few other campervans showed up including a couple of young Danish guys in their rented campervan who were on day 2 of a 2 month trip.  Cool to see the excitement of those just starting their journeys.  It was a peaceful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment