Friday, January 3, 2020

Huka Falls & Craters of the MOON

December 28th, 2019

After leaving Lake Taupo my plan was to head to a place called Minginui, on Braden’s recommendation.  There were a few common tourist spots to hit before I got too far from the lake.  The first was Huka Falls on the Waikoto River which drains from the Lake Taupo.  The cool thing is that it goes from a 100 meter wide channel to 15 meters so the water really gets going, or flowing I should say.  It was a very busy spot and parking was hard to come by.  I parked off the side of the road and walked down, crossed the little pedestrian bridge that was packed with people, snapped a few pics and wandered about 50 meters down the other side of the river.  A few more photos and videos later and I was out of there.  For some reason I have had a low tolerance for busy touristy spots lately.   But I’m glad I checked it out, the rushing water was impressive.

Next was a tourist attraction called “Craters of the Moon”.  Good name I thought.  It was a 45 minute walk around a geothermic area.  Steam was coming out from here and there but in general most of it was pretty tame.  The mud pool was dried up and not the bubbling, boiling you’d expect.  They did have one new vent that was very noisy and pumping out the steam like it was a jet engine.  All in all, it was an okay stop for $8, but I wouldn’t do it again.




On my way towards Minginui the road headed towards popular Rotorua which is really well known for it geothermal pools.  I pulled into one of the most popular attractions, Wai-O-Tapu (which means sacred waters), but it was a gong show for parking.  It was a hot day and I didn’t really feel like seeing more hot pools of water, even those these were the best around.  So I continued on to Minginui.

No comments:

Post a Comment