Friday, June 4, 2010

A Celebration of a Great Life


Yesterday was a day that I will never forget, as was this past Saturday, May 29, 2010. Yesterday we held a Celebration of Life for my father who passed away peacefully on Saturday at the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton, Alberta at the age of 68. My sisters Julie and Sarah, my stepmom Nola and one of her daughters, Corinne, were there with him as he took his final breaths. He was a courageous fighter and still cracked jokes and made us smile right to the end.

He did not want a funeral so in lieu we held a Celebration of Life instead at the Glendale Golf and Country Club where he was a member and played many rounds of golf. It was also the site of his wedding reception with Nola back in 1995. It was a beautiful day outside with a big blue sky dotted with big white fluffy cumulus clouds which provided a gorgeous backdrop for the event. With about 150 people in attendance including family from England, Maryland and Arizona viewing via Skype on four different laptops, we paid our tributes to a wonderful man. There was great energy in the room before the formal part of the event began.

Tudor, his brother-in-law, was the master of ceremonies and did a wonderful job. We had five different sets of speakers that outlined the major roles that he played in his life: Paul the husband, Paul the father, Paul the grandfather, Paul the friend and Paul the co-worker and golfer. My stepmom Nola of course talked about her spouse. Sarah, Julie and I spoke to the father topic while my stepsisters Corinne and Michelle touched on the grandfather role. His good friend Brent Hodgins toasted him as a friend and Brian Spooner reminisced about working and golfing with Dad. There were many tears shed but also a great many laughs and smiles. It was an event that my father would have loved to attend and that’s exactly what we wanted.

Since his death on Saturday, it’s been go go go and I and my family haven’t had much time to think. The gravity and finality of the recent events will surely start to sink in over the next few weeks. I can foresee that moments of sadness and loneliness will find me, especially while by myself camping in “Betty” (my Ford campervan) in Europe but I will try to focus on all the wonderful experiences and positive influence my father has had on me.

My cousin Gemma in England summed it up oh so well with the following:

--------------------------
Thank you Paul, from so many for so much,
So many roles; father, grandfather, doctor, husband, friend,
An example to us all, a true leader and gentleman,
Subtle direction, given gently with love.

Our branches sway, but we stay strong in the storm,
The roots you laid keep us on the ground,
We are blessed to have known you and are now better people,
We will never forget the lessons you taught.
--------------------------

I would like to thank all of my family and friends that have supported me through this difficult time.

I love you Dad and will forever miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment