Monday, June 21, 2010

Back to Jolly ol’ England

I returned to England on Monday, June 7th (my sister Sarah’s birthday). I made my own way to Aldershot as Sid and Sonia were working that day. Arriving to Aldershot with three hours to kill before they were home, I sauntered into the Funky End for a few pints and a bit of lunch. Sid showed up early and it turns out he didn’t go into work after all. The day before they had gone into London to see a special Rage Against the Machine concert and I guess it took them until 3 in the morning to get home so he was a bit knackered.

The rest of the week I worked on getting my van Betty ready. There were some days that seemed like I’d take a couple of steps forward and one or two back. Case in point was Tuesday where I began driving down a motorway to head to Halfords (an automotive store) to get some items for the van. I heard a bit of a thud or crack as I got up to speed on the merge lane. I looked around and everything seemed fine. Less than a minute later, a lorry came barrelling up beside me and was frantically waving for me to pull over. Again I checked around, couldn’t see or feel any issues with Betty so I proceeded to the next exit before stopping due to the lack of a shoulder on the road. I stopped, got out and did a walk about of the vehicle...everything looked fine. Hmm...I got back in the van, looked back and saw blue sky...damn, the skylight cover blew off! I eventually got turned around and headed back to where it blew off and as I passed the spot heading in the other direction, I could see the white square piece of plastic in the middle of the lane. I decided to park Betty off the roundabout and jog down to retrieve it. Sadly it had been run over, probably by the lorry that motioned to me, and I couldn’t even find all of the plastic bits. One more thing to deal with before I can get on my way...

No comments:

Post a Comment