Sunday, December 7, 2014

Ole! My First, and Probably Last Bull Fight

November 24th, 2014

The day before arriving in Mexico City I was in touch with the Aussie gonzo journalist Matt whom I’d just recently hung out with in Mazatlán.  He inquired whether I was interested in attending a bull fight in Plaza Mexico the biggest bullfighting ring in Mexico with his university buddy Rodrigo, who lives in Mexico City.  Hmmm…I never thought I’d want to attend one of these supposed barbaric events but when in Rome….  One has to make an opinion for one’s self.

I’ve never been interested in bullfighting and perhaps I've heard too much from the anti-bullfight side but it does seem somewhat cruel in how the bull seems to endure the multiple stabs in the back while being taunted by the matador and the crowd.  But I try to keep an open mind about things until I’ve tried it, at least once, except for a few things, like maybe incest or infanticide.  Back in the cafeteria in boarding school I witnessed my best friend putting not just syrup on his French toast but ketchup as well.  I love ketchup probably more than the average guy but it just didn't seem right here.  It was crossing some kind of condiment boundary.  But Slick wisely said to me, don’t knock it until you try it.  Valid advice.  I took a bite, and then I knocked the shit out of it.  But it taught me that valuable lesson to not talk shit about something until you’re actually sure what you’re talking shit about.

Okay, wait, this was about bullfighting not breakfast.

So my vague directions were to meet Matt and Rodrigo at the ticket sales booth at the Plaza Mexico, also known as the Plaza del Toro.  Well that shouldn't be hard, it only seat about 30,000 people.  To add to the difficulty of locating them, I’d just ran out of Internet connectivity on my phone (thanks to the con man).  Smartphones almost feel like a cheater tool for travelers.  Just put in where you want to go and you've instantly got directions on how to get there.  In a way, it kinda takes a bit of the sport out of travelling.  You no longer have to ask any one for help.

The entrance to Plaza Mexico:

Okay, back to the bull stuff (bullshit?!?).  So amazingly we found each other outside Puerta 1.  We lined up for our tickets and even though the event commences at 4:30pm, you pay a premium to have a seat in the shade.  We ended up with seats about midway up the 80-100 or so rows and that was perfect.  Far enough away to still feel in the action and see the whole environment yet far enough up to not see the gore up close.

Bullfighting Aficionado Matt:

I really don't know what I've gotten myself into:

Matt and Rodrigo:

The evening was to consist of 6 bulls in action.  There’s a lot of pomp and circumstance with bullfighting that dates back hundreds of years.  Surprisingly Matt is a bit of a bullfighting expert and almost made me want to ridicule Rodrigo for having an Aussie out do him at his own game.  So I soon learned the progression of each bull’s fight.  The bull would careen into the ring with a few little spears or daggers in the back that you could hardly see protruding out apart from the ribbons hung from it.  This was to test the bull’s ferocity.  A good bull would race around the ring aiming at the matadors or assistant matadors waving their large pink and yellow capes.  All matadors sported long tight and bright pink knee socks, so I instinctively asked Matt if they were supporting the breast cancer fundraising…but no, It was just tradition.  I thought it was a bit cheating as in four or five spots around the ring there was a six foot piece of wall in front of the main ring that gave the fighters (I use this term loosely) protection. 

Tonight's competitors:

The opening ceremonies:

Then after a bit of taunting by the matador with a cape two riders on horses cladded in a bright yellow and polka dotted padding, known as the picador, would enter.  The rider had a large wooden spear and his job was to inflict some damage on the bull.  In one fight the shaft of the spear split in two which Matt had never seen before (of course, nor had I).  The bull would sometimes charge the side of the horse, who would hold his ground but I felt sorry for the equines.  Matt did tell me that in earlier times the horse were not afforded any protection so they often were gored and even disemboweled.

Ole!

The Picadores:

Next is the “Tercio de Banderillas” where there were three pairs of barbed “sticks” placed in the bull’s shoulders by different matadors.  Then the matador of the match would come out with his proper red cape with a sword.  But this was his little, light sword known as an “estoque simulado”.  He would continue to dance with the bull and perhaps place the sword flatwise across its forehead or ring it on the horns.  And finally he’d get the killer sword or “estoque de verdad” (real sword) for the “Tercio de Muerte” and finish off in a last bit of flurry by plunging the epee deep into the back of the bull, hoping to hit the spinal column or heart.

The first fight was supposed to be the top matador but he decided to bequeath the round to his padawan, his student, his understudy.  According to Matt, the bull wasn’t that exciting but this young guy did a great job and at the end he looked up to the bullfight president’s box, part of the tradition.  El jefe (the boss) was happy enough with the effort and the signal for the young matador to keep one ear from the bull was given.  What??  He’s allowed to keep the ear?  And better, what’s he going to do with it?  He did get to parade around the perimeter of the ring with hats, a few roses and strangely jackets or vests being tossed out to him.  His juniors picked up the jacket and some of the hats and chucked them back into the crowd.

The next three guys weren’t too exciting and sadly during their display I was almost hoping for a goring, almost like hoping to see a car crash.  Well the fifth guy at least quenched my thirst a bit by getting tossed up in the air by the bull, but skillfully, or at least luckily not touching the horns.

Nearing the end of this bull:

A View to a Kill...almost:


Between bulls a bunch of guys dress in funny looking suits, most of them with red pants and jackets, a white shirt and a funny hat would run out to prepare the field for the next fight by sweeping or spreading dirt about.  One guy would walk around two circles, about 10 feet in difference in diameter, with a bucket that splashed some kind of white powder onto the field.  Matt joked that they were the Oompa Loompas and after that comment I could think of nothing but.

The Oompa Loompas: 

We thought it was over by the death of the sixth bull and many people in the stands started to head home but since most of the bulls from this one breeder had proved to be a bit disappointing, the matadors had pitched in, or at least one of them had purchased another bull.  Hey, it’s probably only about $5000 for it.

The view from the top row:

The gas chamber like urinal troughs in the men's bathroom:

The seventh matador out was the senior guy, the one who step aside to give his apprentice a crack at the big times in the first contest and this dude was incredible.  He’d have but two inches between the bull’s horns and his shins while he waved his cape behind him.  He also tapped the bull on the horns a number of times with his sword.  When he finally plunged in the final blow the crowd erupted.  Even though I was a bullfighting virgin until this evening, I could tell that this guy was miles ahead of the rest.

Ole...the main man in action:

So we thought it was all over but yet one more bull, the eighth of the night came out.  They should have stopped at seven.  This bull was pretty pathetic, not interested in a fight and the matador had to do him in pretty quickly.  If the matador did have to buy the bull for five grand, that was a bit of a waste of money.

It was definitely an interesting experience.  I think I can see why those who attend the sport attend the sport, whom were primarily white Mexicans, probably of Spanish descent, and especially since many start to watch as kids (I saw many families there) but I can also see the other side of the coin, the cruel side of the drawn out death.  Matt’s argument is to look at the gruesomeness of an abattoir.  At least there’s some beauty in the whole act here.  If you are a beef eater, which I am, you can’t really throw any stones.

After the fight we headed to the south of the city to catch up with some friends of Matt who were watching some NFL football in an American chain restaurant...I just love this photo if you look closely in the rear view mirror:


At the end of it all, I have to say that my Aussie friend Matt sure know his “bull shit”.  And I thank him for that.

Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment