Saturday, December 13, 2014

Lake Atitlan in Guatemala

December 5th-7th, 2014


The bus from San Cristobal into Guatemala was an all-day affair, from 6:30 in the morning until 6:30 in the evening.  The Mexican leg was about 5 hours, then we had a one hour wait at the border as we changed shuttle buses.  The terrain at the border was gorgeous with tall, round, tree covered green hills.  Rolling into Guatemala for my first time I discovered that it’s the land of speed bumps.  There seemed to be enough potholes in the roads to negate the necessity of speed bumps but there were still tons of them.


The white pylons represent the border:

Sweet...a new country:

Once in Panajachel, the main town on Lake Atitlan, I found a hotel (splurged to have my own room for the first time on this trip) and enjoyed a nice pizza dinner.  Since it was dark, I would have to wait until morning to see the big lake with its three inactive volcanoes on its shores.

The next day I walked down to the lake which was stunning.  I paid 25 Quetzals (about $4) to take a full boat taxi across the lake to San Pedro, where many backpackers end up.  The boat ride was slow as the lake was already pretty choppy from the wind.  I was happy that I had unknowingly picked one of the best seats on the boat, near the back, as splashing waves soaked some of the other passengers near the bow.  It took me a while to find the Mikaso Hotel but it was worth the effort as it was a gorgeous place right on the water…literally.  Speaking with the French Canadian woman who was working the front desk, she explained that the water level had risen significantly in the past few years and some houses near the hotel had been abandoned as the bottom floor had 3-4 feet of water in them.



Knuffle at Lake Atitlan:



An abandoned house:

My first chicken beer:

That afternoon I took another boat taxi over to San Marcos.  A small hamlet which I read was described as a place for “hippies with purpose”, and that was an accurate description.  There were small posters for yoga, reiki and energy healing.  I get yoga, and it does the body good and I know with my back injuries from paragliding that I need to do more yoga but reiki, hmmm, nope, don’t get it.  I walked through the village, up some incredibly steep roads and walkways.  The native people living there must have strong hearts and leg muscles.  Most of the houses were pretty rudimentary with waste water just running down the open gutters by the side of the road.  Nevertheless they have a pretty wicked view of the lake and the volcanoes.

The view from San Pedro towards San Marcos:

A garden by my hotel:

The entrance to Mikaso:

A lovely sunset:

My kickbutt breakfast at Connections, next door to San Pedro Spanish School.  I returned the next day for the exact same thing:

On the boat to San Marcos.  The front row is holding up the tarp...but they didn't always do the greatest job.

The shores of San Marcos:

At the pier:

The view from up in the village:

A common tourist activity is to watch sunrise from a viewpoint called the Indian Nose.  I signed up for this even though it required waking up at 3:15am.  I met my guide Santos and we hopped on one of the infamous “chicken buses”.  I was surprised at the number of people on the bus at 4 in the morning as the seats were more than half full.  It took about an hour to wind around part of the lake and then drive a curvy road up the hill.  An almost full moon helped light our way up the fairly easy trail to the lookout point with a small wooden shelter and some benches.  The sky was beginning to brighten and the view was gob smacking.  Santos pointed out the seven volcanoes in the distance and amazingly, as one of them was silhouetted by the yellow light from the rising sun, a dark plume of smoke rose from the top, the volcano was spewing smoke.  Sweet, the first time I have seen a volcano in action…well worth the price of admission!

The early morning glow:


The volcano farts:

Looking down to the lower viewpoint:

The viewing structure:

The volcano farts again:

Well worth the price of admission:

A cemetery in Santa Ana, the village over the back:

After sunrise we walked into the little town of Santa Anna and caught a shuttle van down to the lake and then a tuk tuk from there around to San Pedro.  Yup, a tuk tuk…made me feel like I was back in India!

Some cute kids and their mom who shared the van ride with us:

Back in a tuk tuk:


The morning glow in San Pedro:

Last views from Mikaso:

Later that day I caught a shuttle to head to Antigua, and what an entertaining ride that would be…

No comments:

Post a Comment