Friday, March 18, 2011

Liking the Biking

February 24th, 2011

I had to head into Mapsa, the small city about 45 minutes to the south, to do some errands, so I planned on renting a scooter. One of my tasks was to purchase a new camera as mine decided to be like a teenager with school...it didn’t feel like focussing anymore. This makes it three point and shoot type cameras, all Fujis, that I have managed to destroy since I started Wandergliding. I’ve decided “Sorry Mr. Fuji, you’ve lost this customer for good”.

My new Israeli friend Naomi expressed interest in going to Mapsa which bewildered Zohar and me to some extent since we both knew it’s just a conglomeration of buildings with congested streets. She claimed that she just likes to see new places, even if it’s not the most pleasant spot...fair enough. And from my standpoint, why wouldn’t I want a cute brunette hanging on to me on the back of my hot red scooter?!?

Naomi at brunch at the Double Dutch before we headed out:

On the road:

Nearing the river heading south:

Crossing the bridge:

The big white church in Siolim:

We cruised to Mapsa, took care of the required business and sure enough it was busy with tons of motorcycles, scooters, cars, buses and trucks honking away. Strangely everything seems to be on the one main street which curves down a fairly steep hill towards a market and the bus station, punctuated by the odd roundabout. It does make it efficient however since it’s nice to get out of Dodge as soon as possible.

Passing a fish market...a bit stinky:

Heading north back towards Arambol, we took a slightly different route so that I could show Naomi the infamous big 800 year old banyan tree. I should probably start a banyan tree tour company seeing as this was my fourth time there! It is definitely worth the stop and I was happy to share it with Naomi. I saw Deepak, the guy that lives next to the tree and he invited Zohar and me into his house back in December, but I wasn’t too bothered to chat with him (it would have probably been the same conversation as we’ve already had twice before). We snapped a few pics and were back on the bike; cruising through Pernem and along the fun twisty road by the palm tree lined river towards the sea. We reached Kerem Beach and stopped for a break. Kerem sports a very narrow and steep sandy beach at the mouth of the river that originates near Pernem. It’s fairly non-touristy with only a few restaurant shacks sprinkled along the edge of the tall trees that line the beach. We chose a spot and I had a bite to eat (one of those sad, meagre sandwiches they make here where the crust is always cut off and there’s never any lettuce, tomato or any other garnishings) while Naomi just had a drink as her tummy wasn’t the happiest camper.

Back at the banyan tree:

It is impressive in size...

People haul all kinds of things in India and we loved this guy so much we actually turned around and pursued him for a kilometre to get a pic:

There aren't many garbage cans in India...but there is the occasional good one!

We got back to Arambol mid afternoon, in time to see Martin and Ida before they left. They were taking a night bus to Mumbai and then had a long wait in the airport before flying back to Sweden. I really enjoyed hanging out with them over the past week and was kicking myself for not spending more time with them back around the new year. Hopefully see you again guys!

The standard "Someone's leaving Goa pic at the Olive Garden restaurant" - from left to right: Naomi, Pinku, Zohar, Panna, Martin, Ida and me:

No comments:

Post a Comment