Sunday, March 6, 2011

Getting Back in the Air

February 19th, 2011

Having not flown in more than ten days, I was ready to take to the air no matter how short the flight. The Swedish couple, Martin and Ida, had expressed interest in watching me take off so they walked with me around to the Sweet Water Beach where we ran into Naomi who joined us. We checked out the main launch to enjoy the view of Kerem Beach before heading back to the south launch due to the southwesterly wind.

With Martin and Ida on the launch:

Naomi and Martin with some random dog:


Ida's Henna tattoo...big cedar like trees...which Martin actually did and she gets many compliments about it:

Getting ready to launch:

The wind was quite strong and on my first launch attempt I was pulled back extremely quickly, almost running into a bush but instead laying half of my wing into it. Although the bush was a bit prickly, we extracted the paraglider in five minutes and I was set up for another attempt...this time with Martin anchoring me, which worked well and I shot up into the air. The three watched for a bit before hiking down to the beach. The flying conditions were not great as all the wings were stuck on the one ridge and it was slow tracking in one direction. I decided to land near my “entourage”, packed up and then we stopped for a drink on the walk back around the rocky headland.

Paragliding buddy Paul from England is a professional busker and this is how he often spends the late afternoons:

Late that afternoon, Remi and Julia left, heading back to Mumbai before returning to Australia. It was great fun to hang out with them, albeit for a short time. Salut mes amis!

No comments:

Post a Comment