Monday, December 6, 2010

We`re Goa`n to Get Wet

December 3rd, 2010

A relatively quiet day today. I had a lazy morning and the winds were not conducive to paragliding and it was also a bit overcast. About mid-afternoon, Zohar suggested that we take the scooter out for a spin seeing as we are paying for it and it’s just sitting there. Our mission was to find a computer store I had seen previously as Zohar needs to get a new charger for her laptop as hers was fried by the quality electricity in this country.

Let's ride!

Some random house:

Nice way to get around:

Heading over a small pass:

I drove today, at least for the first part. It was the first time I’ve ridden a scooter with a passenger and it is a tad bit different but I fared okay. Somehow we missed the store and ended up at the big bridge about 20-30 km from Arambol. We decided to cross it but realized that we needed to find some petrol. Gas stations aren’t ubiquitous here so we asked a few people where we might locate some gas. We were told a market just a few hundred meters ahead. Arriving there, it still wasn’t obvious who was selling gas so we asked again. It turns out that almost everyone was selling it, we just didn’t notice it. The gas is sold in clear 1 liter bottles and even a vendor of cold drinks and fruit included petrol in their offering. We purchased one and were on our way with Zohar taking the handlebars (I was happy to enjoy the ride...there’s so much to see that you miss when you’re driving).

The cow hazard:

Crossing the bridge:

Zo scootering:


Zohar concentrating on the road:

Ridin' with the locals:


I spotted the computer store on our way back. Not sure how I missed it the first time. While talking with the store owner, it began to rain outside. We had seen some nasty dark clouds and they were finally upon us. Nevertheless we hopped on the scooter but within 5 minutes we had to pull over as the massive raindrops were making it impossible to see. We took shelter under a closed bar`s entranceway as the skies opened up. Soon the entire road was running with water...it was quite the downpour.

Safe from the rain:

And did ever come down!


Ten minutes later the rain had subsided enough that we decided to get back on the road. I slowly drove the scooter back to Arambol and we were both completely drenched and a tad cold but it was still a pretty fun experience.

The rain continued on for most of the evening and half of my bed was a bit wet from a minor trickle I had from the roof but luckily it`s a double bed so I was able to find a dry area later when I went to bed.

That night at the Olive Garden I played one of the cooks, Ramesh, a game of chess which he fairly easily won. Later that night at least a dozen Israelis showed up. They would have normally gone to the newly opened and nearby Woodstock bar to jam but I guess it was soaked from the torrential rains. Nice people. I chatted with a guy named Ofil about rock climbing and Sharar asked me many questions about paragliding. It was a bit of a late night but a very fun one.

Duelling with Ramesh:

A happy Dave:

Tal, Pinku and Panna at the bar:

No comments:

Post a Comment