Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Scootering to Fort Aguada

December 21st, 2010

It’s easy to make new friends while on the road traveling, especially if you’re going solo. However some people you connect with more than others and in the past couple of days I’ve unfortunately had to say goodbye to some great people as they are continuing on with their journeys. First was the couple Vincent and Isabelle who hail from the south of France and are both teachers. They were staying in the hut next to me and over the course of a few weeks we hung out, had dinners together and even battled it out on the chessboard. I was the first “non-Vincent” opponent that Isabelle faced and Vincent and I had three close games with him edging me two games to one.

The final battle with Vincent:

Isabelle and Vincent leaving:

A beautitul sunset:

The next night the Israeli woman Zohar departed to go inland to a place called Hampi which is rich in temples and strange rock formations. Zohar has been an amazing new friend to me and has helped me a lot over the past few weeks. I wish her the best on her remaining couple of months in India. Hopefully my path will cross with these wonderful people in the future.

Zohar departing Arambol:

Today I decided it was time to explore a bit more of northern Goa on the scooter so I headed south down the highway and then headed out to the coast where my goal was to find Fort Aguada. I knew nothing of the place except for the fact that it was on my little map that I’d picked up at an Internet cafe. I correctly assumed that it was built by the Portuguese as Goa was under their control for many years. Turns out it was built in 1612 and the name Aguada means “watering place” as it was a watering station and safe berth for Portuguese ships. It was free to get in however there wasn’t much to do except walk around the ramparts and enjoy the view of the ocean below and Panjim, the capital city of Goa to the south.

The river near Pernem:

Fort Aguada:

Looking out towards Panaji, the capital city of Goa:

Massively thick fort walls:

I hopped back on the scooter and checked out a couple of other beaches, namely Candolim and Calangute. Both were fairly narrow with many more people soaking up the sun or frolicking in the waves than at Arambol. At Candolim there was a large rusting tanker just off the coast which was a bit of an eyesore. I’m glad I’m staying at Arambol!

A rusty tanker anchored off of Candolim Beach:

And a busy beach it was:

No comments:

Post a Comment