Thursday, December 14, 2023

Relaxing at Lake Kivu

December 8th-9th, 2023

Originally the South Africans, and even German Julie, had only planned on staying one night at Macheo Resort.  But the lure of the place was too good, so Julie spent and extra night before heading off to Kigali and the boys stayed for a third night before doing the same.  That made for a few more fun evenings but during the second day, I decided to go wandering around the area.  Macheo is situated at the start of a small peninsula so instead of heading into town, I ventured further out on the headland.  Google Maps showed a fancy looking place called Cleo Lake Kivu Hotel, where rooms are the most expensive in the area at $500/night, but supposedly the food is essentially like western prices.
 
When we arrived in the taxi, we had a glimpse of a white, castle-looking building that was about 4-5 storeys tall and right by the water.  It reminded me of a mini, modern version of Germany’s Neuschwanstein Castle that I visited in October.  I later found out that it is called Chateau La Marara and they are still putting the finishing touches on it.  It is supposed to open in a month or two.  I got a different and nice view of it at the start of my short hike.


Lovely views are everywhere:

Chateau La Marara:



Speaking of views, there were a number of gorgeous ones as I made my way along the gravel road.  I think this area will eventually explode with tourism once more Westerners are aware of what is here.




I arrived at Cleo and it was very fancy schmancy indeed.  There was a security guard who got me to walk through a metal detector and my small backpack went through an x-ray machine, then I was free to walk down some stairs through the heart of the hotel onto this spectacular, but almost deserted patio.  There was one couple at a table with their twin one year-olds.  I was shown to a table and proceeded to enjoy an appetizer of chicken samosas and a few beers, only after the waiter brought out a hot, moist towel for you to wipe my hands before the food arrived!  It was a lovely way to spend a couple of hours on a lazy afternoon, especially once the crying twins left the area.


The Cleo Lake Kivu Hotel:

Heading down to the patio:

The lovely patio:

The rooms on one side:

A bar, a gym and some other out buildings on the property:

My chicken samosa appetizer:

The view from the patio:


I enjoyed it so much that I returned the following day to have a proper meal…well, it was just a chicken burger, but it was a very tasty one.


My chicken burger:


Sunset on my way back:


That morning the South Africans had left for Kigali as they had a flight the following morning back home.  I enjoyed a Saturday evening watching some great English Premier League football games with Onin at Macheo.  It was a good, chill-out day.

No comments:

Post a Comment