Saturday, December 2, 2023

Queen Elizabeth National Park

November 26th, 2023 

From Fort Portal I caught a bus to a city called Kasese, only about an hour and a half away.  From there I decided to hop on a boda boda for 25 kilometers to get to my destination for the next couple of nights, a guesthouse called “The Elephant Home”.  I was greeted by Jason and Karen, who seemed super friendly. 

 

Jason gave me a briefing about the area and how they have had challenges in the past with the animals from Queen Elizabeth National Park, which is just across the highway from them.  Elephants would raid crops as the park is too big to try and put a fence around the perimeter.  Farmers were told by the government officials to light fires at night to ward off the pachyderms but then the elephants got used to that.  Now they burn pepper in the fires and that seems to help.

 

The area is quite poor, with farming on the hillsides of the Rwenzori Mountain range being the main industry.  So they have tried to reinvent themselves by promoting community tourism, be it tours in the local villages or basket weaving classes.  I wish them well as they are such nice people.

 

Since it is the low season, I was the only person staying at the facility the first night.  Jason made my dinner while Karen served it.  They have no electricity so when they asked me if I wanted a drink, Jason had to make a call to someone who would bring a few, relatively cold, beers from the nearby bar a few kilometers away!  They did have a generator which they turned on for an hour or two so I was able to charge my laptop, phone and power bank.  Water was also an issue.  They collected rainwater off the rooves of the buildings and had large storage tanks that were sometimes manually filled up with jerry cans.


Heavy rain on my first afternoon at the Elephant Home:


Jason arranged for me to go on a boda boda tour in Queen Elizabeth National Park.  I didn’t feel that I needed to do a safari per se, as I had already seen many animals in Murchison Park.  This still might give me a chance to see a few more animals, but it was also going to take me to some salt mining at a small lake and a local village, both of which are inside the park.  I also opted to go on a boat cruise which Julius, my guide at Murchison Falls, said was worthwhile.  However, it would be an expensive 2-hour cruise as that would make me have to pay the $40 USD park entry fee along with $25 USD for the cruise…but when in Rome…

 

My boda boda guide Robert picked me up.  I was surprised that he, or the Elephant Home, had a helmet for me, a nice one at that which also had a visor.  It would be the first time I wore a helmet on a motorcycle in this country.  At first, I was almost reluctant, as it is kinda nice to ride with your hair flowing in the wind (not that my hair is that long at the moment), but I’m glad I wore it as we did encounter some rain during the morning and it was definitely warmer and kept me drier.


Just 4-5 kilometers south of the Elephant Home is the equator.  This would be my second time in two years stopping at the equator on land, the other time being in Ecuador.  They are in the process of replacing whatever monument they previously had there.  It looked a bit like a war zone.  They must have had some strong winds that pushed over half of the metal panels that had been propped up by wooden posts.  Some of the panels were all twisted up.  A guy on our side of the road spoke to Robert in the local language and then pulled up a sun faded sign that was lying flat on the ground.  It felt like he was just “opening up” the equator for the day.  We stood in front of the poster for a few pictures. 

 

Reaching the equator on land, for my second time in two years.



Yeah, they need a new sign:

This was from the afternoon on the way back, but this is where they plan to rebuild a new equator monument. 

Continuing on, we spotted an elephant about half a kilometre away in the park.  Even though he was far away, it seemed like a good start to the day.  We turned onto a dirt road which took us into the park.  On the left side of the road, there was a cluster of a few buildings and I saw a sign for the park.  At the entranceway stood a military man with a machine gun.  He seemed to take no notice of us and I wondered how this worked, that we could just drive past without having to check in or pay the park fee.


Baboons on the highway:


The plains of Queen Elizabeth Park:


The first elephant of the day:


We disturbed a bunch of weaver birds working on their nests:


Cruising into QE Park:


We passed some safari vehicles driving in the opposite direction and there were a couple who were stopped by the side of the road.  We slowed down to see if they had spotted some wildlife, but couldn’t figure out what they were looking at.  There were some buffalo here and there along with duikers and bushbucks (a couple types of deer/antelope).


Some buffalo:



And bushbucks...I think.

There was a wall of rain approaching from the south as we turned off the main road and started to descend towards a lake, about a kilometer in diameter.  I asked Robert to stop so that I could put on my raingear.  As we reached the shore of the lake, about 50 meters lower than the plains of the park, the rain picked up.  Luckily, we found some reprieve under a small shelter by the shore.  At this point, I hadn’t clued in that this is where they pan for salt.  There were these squares formed by walls of sand, approximately 20 feet by 20 feet, but none of them were exactly the same size.


The lake where the salt is obtained:

Seemed like a bit of an ominous welcome to the lake...

Another motorbike came down the hill in the pouring rain with two men riding it.  The passenger got off and came over to our shelter.  Turns out it was the “salt guide”, named Richard.  He explained the process that they use to obtain salt.  I didn’t quite follow all of his explanation, but it sounded like a lot of work.  Each square was owned by someone, with 180 squares in total.  These are typically passed down the family from generation to generation.  The workers walk from a village called Kisenyi, about 2½ kilometres away, which was going to be our next destination.  Richard had a plastic bag hiding under a mound covered by a tarp which contained small packets of salt for sale.  The granules were large and had a pinkish hue.  I’m sure it was good salt, but I didn’t want to carry it around for the next two months, so I declined his offer to buy some and gave him a tip instead.


The salt wizard Richard giving me the rundown on production techniques.


Richard scooped this from one of the pools.  He called it magma, but it's not the type of magma I'm familiar with...still amazing that they get salt out of that muck!


Richard by one of the pools.

Richard hopped on the motorcycle with us for a ride back to his home near the village.  Just after dropping him off, we passed by about 50-60 villagers, all in their Sunday best, walking along the road from the church.  Entering the village, it was a mud-fest.  The road was bad, but the trails between the ramshackle wooden huts were even worse.  But it seemed to be just another day for the villagers, everyone going about their business.  Of course, a mzungu (me, the white guy) coming through on a boda boda caused a few of them to stop and stare, with a few of them waving hi to me.  It was definitely a poor town, and strikingly ugly compared to the surrounding nature.


Our triple on the motorbike.

Arriving to the "landing" by the lake.

We stopped down at the “landing”, where the fishing boats docked on the lake to unload their catch.  Some men were sorting their fish into baskets while others were constructing new boats.  A group of hippos were in the water just behind some docked boats…you wouldn’t want to go swimming here, that’s for sure.  Not just because of the hippos, but marshy, dirty water with garbage floating by the shore.


The catch of the day.


Looking across the lake.


The landing.


Hippos in the water.


Some catfish...they didn't look very appetizing.


Hard to make out, but there are a couple of Marabou storks in the picture, one is on the boat on the left and the other it in the middle of the picture.

It was time to work our way back to the highway on the same road we had been on earlier.  We were headed back towards the rain that had passed us earlier but it was only a light drizzle.  We spotted a hippo in a small pool of water and a solo elephant walking in the rain.


A lonely hippo in a small pond.


A solo elephant in the rain:


With less than a kilometre to go to reach the highways, a safari vehicle blasted past us, spraying us with mud.  Not a lot, but enough to get my pants dirty, and annoy me.  Really?!?  You couldn’t have slowed down just a bit?


The plains of Queen Elizabeth park to the south:



Back on the highway, we headed about 10 kilometres south to the Kazinga channel, that flows between Lake Edward and Lake George, and where I would get on my boat cruise.  The day before, a guy named Sunday came to the Elephant Home and I paid him for the boat trip and my park fees.  We met up with him and he showed me the boat that I would get on in an hour.  For some reason I had visions of the boat being similar to the one in Murchison Falls, a double deck boat that could seat around 50 people, but this one was much smaller, probably good for 12.  I questioned whether my $50 USD actually went towards the park fee as there never was a ranger or anything making me think that my presence here had to be paid for.  Oh well, it is what it is. 

 

I also thought we’d be cruising upstream towards Lake Edward.  Instead, the boat with just me, two young guys from Colorado, our guide Kanzi and captain Moses, crossed the river.  It’s funny, I’ve been on three boats in Uganda and 2 out of 3 captains have been called Moses…I guess they know how to deal with water, according to the Bible at least!

 

Reaching the other side, we slowly floated downstream while checking out various animals and birds.  The first group of animals was a bit surprising.  Five buffalo were hanging out in the water, by a steep bank, and not one that they could climb up on.  Kanzi explained that this was a “loser group”.  Older male buffalos who could no longer fight to win a mate, and older females who can no longer produce offspring.  This was a safe place for them to hang out, away from any predators.


The "loser" buffalos:


Some hippos in the water:


Cruising along in the boat:

A little further down the river, 4-5 boats had stopped to check out something.  We pulled up and saw the attractions…there was a Nile crocodile sleeping on the shore, some hippos in the water and a couple of monitor lizards mating.  The lizards were about 50 meters away, so it was hard to see what exactly was going on but then one of the hippos started to get out of the water, along with her 3-4 month old baby!  That was super cool to watch them walk up the bank and disappear into the foliage.


Momma and baby hippos getting out of the water:


The tri-fecta, a Nile Crocodile on the shore, some hippos and you can't see it, but some mating monitor lizards in the top right.


Momma and baby walking on shore:


The Nile Crocodile:

One hippo's big harem:


We crossed back to the other side of the river which was less populated with wildlife as the banks were dense with foliage.  Kanzi explained that the wind tends to blow from north to south so the south shore tends to erode more, which makes it easier for animals to enter and exit the water.  We did see an African Fish Eagle sitting proudly in a tree.  They are similar to bald eagles, but the white on their heads extends down their chest and they are smaller in size.


Starting to cross back to the other side of the river:


An African Fish Eagle:

Although it was an expensive boat trip, I was glad I did it as it as I saw my first Nile crocodile, monitor lizards mating and a baby hippo and its momma walking on land.  Most of the time that you see hippos, they’re just submerged in the water, cooling off as they have no other way to regulate their body heat.


Heading back to the Elephant Home:

The last elephant of the day:


He was pretty close to the highway.


I hopped back on the bike with Robert as we made our way back to the Elephant Home.  We decided to stop at a local bar to have a beer.  I had seen a number of these “pubs” while sitting in a bus, a matatu or a boda boda, but had never ventured into one.  It was a really basic place with a crappy pool table in the middle and a little bar in one corner.  There happened to be a Premier League football match, Aston Villa vs Tottenham, who happened to be fourth and fifth in the league, and only one point apart.  I ordered us some beers, which were not surprisingly warm (Ugandans don’t seem to care for cold beer) as we watched a riveting first half of the game.  There were a few goals that went to a VAR decision (the Video Assistant Referee) which caused a few of us to chirp about the decisions.  It was a good way for me to break the ice with the locals who must have been wondering what this “mzungu” was doing in their local watering hole.


In the local bar:

It was a good finish to a great day.  Tomorrow I will head to Kabale, just a small city to the south, in order to break up my travel day to get to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, where I will go Mountain Gorilla Trekking…one of the big highlights of this adventure in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment