Saturday, December 18, 2021

Quito Day 1 - El Panecillo

December 11th, 2021

Yesterday I flew from Cusco to Lima and then 3 hours later up to Quito, the capital of Ecuador which also is the second highest capital in the world, after La Paz in Bolivia.  My first impressions of Ecuador were quite positive.  The airport was modern and clean and it didn’t take long to get through the Covid screening (just had to show my PCR test results and proof of vaccination) and immigration.  I found out that my Claro sim card from Peru didn’t function here, even though I was told it should.  That made it next to impossible to order an Uber, so I took my chances with a taxi, which was no problem.  It was about 25 kilometres to get into the city centre and the highway was super smooth, modern and I noticed the lack of garbage on the side of the road, a big difference from Peru.


Checking in at the hostel called Masaya Quito, the young woman behind the counter was very informative and helpful.  Some of the info was a bit disconcerting though.  “I would be careful going out after 7pm.  And definitely don’t go in that direction at night” she stated as she motioned to her left.  Okay, duly noted.  That sure doesn’t give one warm feelings about arriving in a new city.  The hostel was an old building but in good condition, apart from some squeaky wooden floors, and it had a restaurant on the bottom floor so I opted to eat there and explore the city in the morning.

 

The next day I tried to find a walking tour.  I found the sign and I was there at the right time, but no tour guide or other tourists were present.  With Covid, you never know what is operating.  Instead, I took care of a few menial tasks such as a haircut and getting a new sim card.  It was only $10 USD to have a 30 day package with 10 gigabytes of data…crazy cheap!

Check out this triple bus!  I don't envy the driver in the narrow streets of Quito.

Afterwards I walked towards the biggest building I could see, La Basilica.  I snapped a few pics and decided to retrace my steps and head up the hill behind my hostel called El Panecillo.  At the top of the 200 meter peak is a statue of the Virgin Mary called the Virgin of Quito, which was built in 1976 and it’s modelled after a wooden sculpture created by Bernardo de Legarda in 1734 (he was from Quito).

La Basilica:


That faint little line on the top of the hill is the Virgin de Quito...where I'm headed.



The Presidential Palace:


Getting closer...

Looking back at the Basilica:

There she is.

It cost all of a dollar to get in and climb up the inside to a lookout area that ringed around the base of the aluminum statue.  The views of the city in all directions were great…well worth the price of admission.





Some entertainment at the base of the statue:



Afterwards I stopped at a nearby restaurant called La Pims for a beer and an appetizer while continuing enjoy the vista.  As I descended back to the hostel, the skies opened up and rain began to fall.  Luckily I had my rain coat and umbrella with me.  Not a bad first day of wandering around the historical centre of Quito.

No comments:

Post a Comment