Friday, December 24, 2021

Alausi – A Train to Nowhere

December 17th-18th, 2021 

While at the flight park in the summer, I saw a few YouTube videos of some amazing train rides in Ecuador.  I like trains.  It’s too bad that passenger trains in Canada just aren’t a thing…too big of a country with not enough people to support it.  Ecuador built a railroad from the capital Quito to the largest city Guayaquil.  The most challenging bit was near Alausi where the railroad needed to do a 500 meter vertical climb (or descent, depending on which way you are going) in a short length.  There is a big rocky promontory called the Devil’s Nose.  Supposedly over 3000 workers, primarily Jamaican slaves, died in the construction of this short leg of the track.

 

Before arriving in Alausi, a town of 5500 people, I researched online about the train and some blogs and websites had links to book tickets online but the website didn’t exist.  Oh well, I’ll book it when I get there.  However, a guy at the front desk of my hostel told me that the trains haven’t been running for months.  Shit.  Well, I’ve already got a place booked, and if nothing else, I’ll have a bit of chill time in Alausi.

 

It was a 3-4 hour bus ride from Baños to Alausi and I had to change buses in Riobamba.  I thought it was a bit odd in Riobamba that I bought my ticket and was told by the lady to be at the ticket booth in the terminal at noon, when the bus was supposed to leave versus being at some bay.  At noon, a bus conductor came up and asked me where I was going and told me to go out to the bus.  I motioned that I didn’t know where to go so he told me to wait there.  A minute later we were running out of the terminal, across the parking lot towards a bus that was slowly moving out onto the street.  Great.  Let’s do a 50 meter sprint with a 55 pound big ass backpack! 

The lush countryside:

First sighting of Alausi:


My fancy room:



Low clouds hung over Alausi and it was only a 4-5 block walk from downtown to my hotel, El Chaporen.  On checking in, it was confirmed that the train has not been functioning since Covid hit.  Oh well, these things happen when travelling, especially during a pandemic.


The train that hasn't moved in a long time...


I ventured out to find some lunch and it was tough to find a decent looking restaurant.  I settled on a place on the main street where there were only a couple of other people eating (granted it was 3:30 in the afternoon).  The waitress, an older woman in her late 60s, came over to my table and I asked for a menu in Spanish.  No menu.  Hmm.  She offered soup.  Sounds good but then I couldn’t understand my options.  A guy eating at a nearby table helped out with the translation.  The soup arrived, and it was okay.  I didn’t know what some of the vegetables were in it and the beef was hacked up with bit of bones I had to be wary of.  There was also a small chunk of corn, like an 1/8th of a corn on the cob.  I really wasn’t sure how I was supposed to eat that with a spoon so I occasionally picked it out of the soup with my fingers to take a bite.  I wasn’t even finished my soup, which I thought was going to be the perfect amount of food, when she brought out a plate with rice, chicken, plantains, tomatoes and onions.  Whoa.  I didn’t need that.  Oh, the joys of things getting lost in translation.


The next day I thought I’d try walking along the train tracks to see if I could get to the Devil’s nose.  First, I stopped by the statue of Jesus on a small hill on the edge of town.  Yet another Christian statue in this country…I have seen quite a few!

I loved the sign for the statue...


It didn't quite match the real thing!


The view from the statue:

A nice big bug hanging out with Jesus.

When I got to the train track, a sign should that you weren’t supposed to walk along it.  I disregarded it as I knew that there were no trains running but I only made it about 50 meters along it and the combination of a dog in a nearby yard barking at me and the pain of walking on the railroad ties which never match one’s gait, I decided to turn around.  The weather forecast also showed rain coming within the hour.  So I ventured back to the main street and looked for a taxi, perhaps that’s how I can go and see it.  Eventually I found one but the guy said it would be $30 and would take an hour to get there and another to get back.  What?!?  According to the map it looked to be less than 10 kilometres away.  I told him I’d think about it.  I got confirmation about this information by a local guy who started chatting to me on a nearby street corner.  He claimed to be a poet and when he heard I was from Canada, he began to reel off a bunch of Canadian city names…I dunno, to demonstrate his intelligence or something.  He confirmed that it was a couple of hours to drive to the Devil’s Nose which I still found odd, but I decided I was defeated and returned to my room for a chill night.


Oh well, you can’t win them all.  The next morning I hopped on a bus to head to Guayaquil where I would spend one night before heading to a surf town on the coast called Montanita.

No comments:

Post a Comment