Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Touring Tel Aviv

June 30th-July 1st, 2014

After returning from Eilat Naomi had to work for a couple of days but luckily one of her friends, Sharon, offered to be my tour guide in Tel Aviv.  We drove along the gorgeous water front on a sunny day with many Israelis enjoying the beach.  We parked in Jaffa, the ancient port city just to the south of where Tel Aviv was founded in 1909 although they have pretty much merged into a contiguous metropolis.  Tel Aviv is indeed a beautiful city and I enjoyed our 2-3 hour wander around through parts of Jaffa, along the beachfront, into some old neighbourhoods and finally along the wide boulevard of Rothschild Avenue to the Culture Centre where we had lunch.

One of many beaches in Tel Aviv:

I picked the right t-shirt to wear today:

Knuffle checking out Jaffa:

An old alleyway:

Sharon in Jaffa:

An old minaret:

The skyline of Tel Aviv:

An old clock tower:

Walking along the beach:

Maybe we should have done a Segway tour...

A group of young soldiers with their McDonald's lunch in the park...I thought it was quite the novelty.

Madkot Alley:  Madkot is a beach tennis game that is all the rage in Israel:

There's even a Madkot Museum...which is basically in an old man's house but we didn't visit it.

It was "raining" on us from the construction of one of these high rises...hopefully it was clean water.

The culture centre:

That evening Naomi took me to Michmoret Beach which is located about 25 minutes north of Tel Aviv.  We were meeting some of her friends and co-workers there as well as our mutual friend, and my guardian angel in India: Zohar.  I felt pretty special as it was just me with six lovely ladies.  The restaurant had set up a big screen projector right on the beach for one of the World Cup football matches but the game was interrupted part way through by a major news announcement.  The bodies of three missing Israeli teenagers who disappeared while hitchhiking were found.  This event would turn out to be the catalyst for the Israeli/Gaza conflict that is still going on as I write this.  The women I was with were shocked and saddened by this news and it was interesting for me to see how much Israelis bond together during a difficult time such as this.  I guess they have to as they are surrounded by many neighbours who would like to wipe them off the map.  The broadcasting never returned to the football match as the news pundits analyzed the situation ad infinitum (although I couldn’t understand it as it was in Hebrew).  It was a bit of a sobering way to finish our lovely sunset evening on the beach.

Meeting up with Zohar for the first time since India:

It was a gorgeous sunset:

My "harem"....  ;)

The following day I took the train back into Tel Aviv, this time to tour around a bit with Zohar.  Similar to the previous day we just wandered around hitting a few places like the Carmel Market where haggling reigns supreme.  After we parted ways I walked for a few miles and passed by Rabin Square, named after the former prime minister, Yitzhak Rabin, who was assassinated there by a right wing Israel radical in 1995.  This square is usually the epicentre for protests that often occur in Tel Aviv.

This young woman is "train security".  It's hard to see but she has a gun on her belt...this is serious business.

Some strange predator statue in a mall, it's about 8 feet tall.

Heading to the market:

Carmel Market:

Rabin Square:

An odd looking building...just an optical illusion:

During our shopping in the market, I had bought a kitchen knife as a small gift for Naomi but I hadn’t even contemplated the fact that it might cause some difficulty getting on the train to return to Kfar Saba.  At the station they had an X-ray machine and metal detector, just like you’d find in most airports.  The young female security officer immediately asked me if I had a knife in my backpack.  Whoops, yes I do.  Thankfully after half a dozen questions as to who I was, where I was from and who the knife was for she let me get on the train.  I have to admit that I like the fact that I come from a country where such strict security is not required.

Speaking of my country, it was Canada’s 147th birthday this day, July 1st.  Naomi has a co-worker who is originally from Canada and I met Jason briefly in Goa three to four months earlier.  Our plan was to meet up with my fellow Canadian for a Happy Canada Day dinner of gourmet burgers and the food did not disappoint and it was great to sing along to some Tragically Hip with a fellow Canuck.

The Canada Day burger:

We found this crazy playground after dinner...it has to be a recipe for injuries:

This should help with the digestion of that burger...spinning around and around:

This is just downright dangerous...thankfully no one fell off:

Happy Canada Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment