Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Weymouth Carnival

August 20th, 2014

Weymouth is a beach town and a common summer holiday spot for many.  Every year they have a carnival and this year it was held on a Wednesday which seemed odd but I guess they are catering to the tourists.  Sid decided to take the day off of work and on Sonia’s insistence, Sid and I went to their house, performed a few necessary jobs for the renos and then hit the town on a Tuesday night.  We enjoyed a meat pie dinner at a quaint restaurant followed by some pool at one pub and darts at another.  It was a fun night out with my cousin that’s for sure.

After our token yet important jobs were done at the house on Wednesday morning we walked down to the main beach by downtown Weymouth.  Some low, dark clouds hung over the bay which provided an excellent backdrop for the dogfight that was already underway.  Five WWI replicas of biplanes and even a triplane were in a simulated heated battle, chasing each other at low altitudes just in front of us over the water.  Occasionally one would let out some smoke to simulate a hit.  Both Sid and I were impressed.

A hit:

On the chase:

A Sopwith Camel triplane:

The action:

An hour later we met up with Auntie Shirley, Sonia and Amelie.  We wandered along the oceanfront, checking out all of the various carnival activities underway from extreme bouncy castles to gawdy tourist trinket vendors to slightly thrilling amusement rides.  We stopped for a drink in a pub before walking around a bit more before settling in on the beach for the main headliner of the carnival, the Red Arrows, the aerobatics team of the Royal Air Force.  I have to say, they were impressive.  I have seen the Canadian Snowbirds a few times including one time in Victoria over the Juan de Fuca Strait and the Red Arrows were just as impressive, if not slightly more.  What a contrast to the WWI planes flying around three hours earlier.  It is impressive how human kind has quickly evolved.  Unfortunately my camera battery had died so I have no pics or videos of the display.

A serious slide...it was steep!

Five days later I’d be leaving England but I have to say, as always, I’d had a great time in my old motherland.  See you again soon Old Britannia.

No comments:

Post a Comment