Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Olive Garden Closes

March 31st, 2011

Surprisingly just two and a half weeks after my paragliding accident I felt as though I could handle the train ride back to Goa. On March 29th I took a two hour taxi ride from Panchgani down to Khed (and it was downhill most of the way). There were some gorgeous vistas as we wound our way down the hills. I had instructed the taxi driver to take it “shanti, shanti” (slow, slow) and in fact the ride wasn’t too bad on my back. The vehicle was a little compact car and I was in the front seat so being able to partially recline which definitely helped.

Arriving at the train station, the taxi driver let me down a little bit. He knew that I had a back injury and needed help with my monolithic backpack and I had expected him to carry it to the platform for me...and a larger tip would result. But instead I had my daypack on my back and we each grabbed one of the backpack straps and carried it together into the station...and my body complained. I asked him to check which platform the train would arrive at and thankfully it was platform #1, the closest. However, the cab driver insisted that he wasn’t allowed on the platform so he bid me adieu (of course BS as there was no one checking for tickets on the platform). I paid him his money and slowly dragged my backpack to the couple of rows of seats by the track.

I was the center of attention. Not only the only white guy foreigner, but one with a hell of a lot of baggage yet wearing a funny looking cross shaped grey brace on my chest that wrapped around to my back. I actually hadn’t thought of it until this German guy that was at the Eco Camp, another paraglider pilot who had been through a back injury, said “Don’t expect too much help on your travels, people will look at you and think you have bad karma, so why help him?” I hadn’t thought of it that way....this whole caste and karma system is a bit of a bummer. And sure enough, as the train arrived (an hour plus late), I had to drag my backpack onto the train with no assistance. Thankfully my car was close to the sitting area I was at and the seat was in the first berth...so I didn’t have to drag the gear too far.

Me and my big bags on the train:

Knuffle Bunny's still ridin' with me:

The train ride was pretty uneventful. I decided that an upgrade to 2nd class AC was warranted considering my condition. I had previously travelled a couple of times in “sleeper” class which is usually quite packed with locals. I think it’s a fantastic way to travel for day trips and although this was a day trip, the 2AC class guarantees that there will be fewer people and for sure that was the case. Even though I supposedly bought the last seat for this class in this train, I had the whole berth to myself which was fantastic. I spent a few hour sprawled out on the upper bunk, reading and sleeping.

Arriving in Pernem (in Goa), I dragged my luggage off the train and then called for Rock, the taxi driver that I hired to get to the train station three weeks prior. He was just a hundred meters down the platform and he was kind enough to carry my paraglider backpack to his cab.

I had called ahead to the manager of Classic Huts, Rajesh, and inquired whether the small white house that he rents along with the huts was available and thankfully it was. Again, with my new back situation, I thought a house would be a bit more comfy, especially in the heat of the day when the huts become veritable saunas.

My new home...the White House:


My new living room...feels a bit dead...

The kitchen:

It was great to see the old crew working their last couple of nights in the Olive Garden. Manu had brought a TV out onto the bar since the World Cup of Cricket was finally getting into the last few games with India beating Pakistan in the semi-finals.

Manu celebrating a 4 run hit...everyone loved the little sign I made!

Sanju cheering:

Now Ram and Pinku`s turn:

The evening cricket crowd:

Of course at the end of the final evening we had some celebratory drinks and even smoked a hookah. The guys were all quite pleased to be finished their season here...although they would be working for the next 3-4 days closing up the restaurant in preparation for the rainy season.

Pinku smoking a hookah like a dragon:


The final cheers to the Olive Garden:

Thanks for all of the good times Olive Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment