Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Too windy to fly...

Monday, September 13th

I did locate Alex and the others with him last night, towards the entrance to the campsite whereas I was right down near the end. I awoke to sunny skies but unfortunately accompanied by a strong northerly wind, so it didn’t look like it would be a fly day. After some breakfast I wandered down to see the other guys and they were just hanging out so I returned to Betty to do the same. Avi, one of the paramotoring students of Alex, came by and we chatted for a bit. He runs a paragliding school with his wife in India so he was adding paramotoring to the list of services they offer. Super nice guy and hopefully I’ll meet up with him in India.

Later the other guys decided to head up to St. Hillaire to see if they could do some kiting (where you have your paraglider above your head but your feet stay on the ground). I stayed at the campsite since I figured I’d be going up and down the mountain a lot in this upcoming week and I also thought that the wind would still be too strong up there. Instead I played a little Frisbee golf on a course I made up around where I was parked. The baskets were trees, electric boxes, planters etc. I hadn’t chucked around a Frisbee for a long time so it was nice to huck it again. Finished with a +2...not bad. Later Gans (one of the other Brits I met in June) showed up in a big white van with a guy named Deano. We chatted for a bit and later chucked around the Frisbee in the traditional style...but it being a disc of the golf variety one had to be careful how one caught it. Deano’s a very nice an interesting guy. He’s living in his big van and teaches paramotoring courses in a variety of places in Europe. Perhaps someday I’ll try this paramotoring thing...

Gans making a catch:

Deano chucking:

That night, after some dinner, we all ventured down to hang out with the other guys for a few drinks. There was a gorgeous 1/3 of a yellow moon hanging low in the sky and it seemed as though the wind was weakening so hopefully tomorrow we’ll fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment