Friday, August 13, 2010

More Paragliding in Kobarid

Monday, August 2nd

Ground hog day...almost. I’ve experienced this before with paragliding trips where you wake up, go up to launch, fly, have a beer, nice dinner, a few drinks in the evening and then repeat...and it doesn’t get old! Well, this was along those lines. Similar weather to yesterday, Garth and I took Wolfgang’s parataxis to launch, had a great flight and then went for a beer. This time we were able to stay closer together and we both did the same valley crossing as I did the day before. It felt a little more rock and rolly than yesterday and I in fact had an asymmetric collapse going around one small rock spine (that means that 30-40% of my glider collapsed on one side) but apart from getting a bit of adrenaline flowing, it was all good. We headed back towards Kobarid and Garth opted to head back to launch before coming back land. I had lost a lot more height than he had in the last valley crossing and I was fighting to get above the ridge and in the end decided to land so that I could retrieve Betty from the campsite (a little over a kilometer away). Garth ended up flying over 3 hours and he was quite pleased with that (read big smile for a few hours!).

Garth taking off:

I do have an issue I need to figure out with my HD helmet cam. It is mounted in a waterproof case and when I gain some altitude, the moisture in the air inside the case condensates on the inside of the lense cover...which leads to blurry pics and videos. An obvious solution is to drill a hole in the case but some day I might want to use it in water (like canyoning). Another is to slightly open the case but I have to figure out a definite way that I don’t end up creating a dangerous $300 mini-bomb landing on some poor sod’s head below. So not many pics for today, as most of them didn’t turn out...

A foggy pic of Garth flying down the Stol:

We met up with Holly and headed to Tolmin where we couldn’t locate propane for Betty, but did purchase a small campstove so we could still make our own meal, which was spaghetti this night. Another great day in Slovenia!

Betty happy at Camp Lazar:

No comments:

Post a Comment