Friday, July 30, 2010

Beginning the push to Kosovo

Thursday, July 15th

I walked around Interlaken for an hour or two as I waited for Betty to be repaired. She wasn’t actually being worked on at the time as it was lunchtime and the Swiss like to take extended breaks but not quite with the zest of the French. There were a number of fancy shops in Interlaken and if you had a need for a watch, a Swiss army knife or chocolate, you were more than covered. The prices were a bit outrageous for most items and I thought it might cost me just to window shop!

After lunch the new bolts and nuts arrived and happy go lucky Peter began to work on Betty as I sat outside on my camping chair catching up on my flight logbook. He was finished sooner than I expected and I had a little tour around their shop/playground. They have restored some older American muscle cars and had some other projects on the go. The job for Betty’s wheel was 200 Swiss Francs ($200 CAD) but I could only pay in cash so I meandered to the bank, got two crisp, bright green notes, paid them and bid them adieu. I have two new friends I can always stop in and see in Interlaken now.

Peter, Jack and Betty (read the last post if you don't get it):

It was 4:30pm as I got on the road. I now only had about 45 hours to try and make it to the capital of Kosovo, Pristina to meet up with my friends Garth and Holly who were flying in from Istanbul. They’ve been living in Saudi Arabia for the last few years and are working their way back to Canada with a month and a half stint in Europe. About 45 minutes outside of Interlaken I began a climb up a mountainside and back in the valley I could see the runway of an airforce base...so that’s where all of those military jets came from. I drove until 10:30pm with some fantastic mountain views and many tunnels. I ended up short of Innsbruck by about 50 kilometers but I was pleased with my progress. I pulled into a highway stop and parked near a bunch of trucks and crashed for the night. Tomorrow will be a long driving day...

The airforce base:

Gorgeous waterfall:

More great views:

A windy road in Switzerland:

No comments:

Post a Comment