Saturday, March 9, 2024

The Dorchester Keep & Flying Home to Canada

February 27th-29th, 2024

On my second last full day in Weymouth, my cousin Sid came to Weymouth for a dentist’s appointment and then worked online at Auntie Shirley’s in the afternoon so that the three of us could go out for a late afternoon drink at another one of Sutton Poyntz’s pubs, The Springhead.  They had a nice fire burning in a modern fireplace that had glass doors on two sides, so it is a real focal point in that part of the establishment.  After dinner, we played a three-person game of Trivial Pursuit and even with a new rule I introduced which should have helped the losing teams, Sid still, unsurprisingly, won.


I went for a hike the day before.  This is the view towards Weymouth:


The next day Auntie Shirley and I did one last trip to Dorchester to visit the Keep.  I was amazed to find out that Shirley had never visited it before since she’s been living in Sutton Poyntz for over 15 years!  The Keep was built around 1880 and it was part of a collection of buildings that were the barracks for the 39th Dorsetshire Regiment of the Foot and the 75th  Stirlingshire Regiment of the Foot…infantry soldiers.  Most of the other buildings have been demolished and new structures built in their place.


The Keep:


The Keep is now a regimental museum, honoring numerous military entities from the area.  Both Auntie Shirley and I were pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t too bad of a museum.  One story near the start of the exhibition was incredible…get this:

On 10th May, 1915, flying a Martinsyde Scout, Louis Strange attacked a German aircraft at 8500 feet over Menin.  During the dogfight the Lewis gun on his top wing jammed and he stood up in the cockpit to change the magazine.  His aircraft flipped suddenly over on its back and Strange was hurled from the cockpit.  Hanging by his fingertips from the jammed magazine, he felt the aircraft begin a flat spin downwards.  Strange struggled to swing his feet up in the cockpit above him.  At 500 feet, he at last managed to get his knees astride the joystick.  The aircraft suddenly righted itself and gravity thrust its pilot back into his seat!    He survived and went on to live to 75 years-old!




Those holes by the heart and on the arm are actual bullet holes...and the guy survived!


I was surprised how heavy the gun was.

What a difference from the red uniforms above!

The ornately painted regimental drums:

We worked our way up the four floors and finished our visit by enjoying the view from the top of the keep.





The following morning, I caught an early train to London Waterloo and then took the tube to Heathrow airport.  While sitting at a high table at a pub I overheard a British couple, who had just sat down at the table, mention a location on Vancouver Island and they were debating a question about it.  I couldn’t help but give them the answer.  We struck up a conversation and they were heading to Comox, on the island, to visit their son.  Amazingly we figured out that the lady had grown up in Redruth, Cornwall, a town of about 15,000 and is where my grandparents used to live and my dad and oldest sister were born!

 

The flight from London to Calgary took off around 3 pm and was landing at 5 pm, local time in Calgary.  We were going to be chasing the sun for the whole flight so I made sure to get a window seat on the right side of the plane (so I wouldn’t be looking into the sun).  Although most of the British Isles were covered in clouds, there were some nice views of northern Scotland.


Can you see the bridge in the middle of the pic? 


An hour or so later, we flew over Iceland which was cool to see.  I wondered whether the other side of the plane could see Grindavik, where there is currently a few fissures in the Earth that are causing lava to threaten the town.  We were probably a bit too far away.


Approaching the coast of Iceland:




The middle of Iceland was smooth, just white snow below us, but here we are approaching the other side of the island where it was rugged again.

Ice in the sea.  The brighter white bits are probably huge ice chunks that have been pitched up onto the ice surface.

As we made our way to Baffin Island, all of the windows were electronically dimmed.  What?!?  It was 6:30 pm London time, where we just came from, and 10:30 am in Calgary…why on earth would we want to go to sleep right now?  That will definitely give you jet lag.  I couldn’t undim my window and I was not impressed as the views of the frozen north had been fantastic.  I found a flight attendant and asked her if she could help and sure enough, she was able to brighten my pane.  I was surprised that over the next couple of hours, only a couple other people undimmed their windows to enjoy the amazing vistas 36,000 feet below us.


Mountains on the east side of Baffin Island.




At the other side of Baffin Island, I was amazed to see that there were four settlements, ranging in population from 35 to 1400, showing on the flight map on my screen on the back of the seat in front of me.  I was amazed to think that there could be humans down there, in such a desolate landscape.

The plane's flight map:

The peninsula on that map.  So the settlements are on the other side of that.

The following pictures (from the Internet) are of the settlements: 

Looks quite nice in the summer...but it only has a high of 11 degrees Celsius!

Niaqornat - 35 inhabitants in 2020...looks like a lot of buildings for 35 people.


Qaarsut - 174 inhabitants in 2020:



Leaving Baffin Island:

The barren north.

There was hardly any snow on the ground in Calgary, but it looked frozen and cold.  Snow started to fly as we taxied to the gate.  Once off the plane, I quickly found out that my flight to Kelowna was delayed for half and hour.  Half and hour turned into three hours, including sitting in the plane for 45 minutes while some component was being replaced in one of our engines.  It’s not common to see the cowling of the jet engine open with a man sticking his head inside with a full boarded flight!

 

I arrived into Lumby at midnight  local time (thanks for picking me up that late Terry!), or 8 am London time…so apart from the twenty minute snoozes I had on each flight, I’d been up for 26 hours…but that paid off as I hardly had any jet lag.

 

What a trip…England, Germany, Austria, Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania and the Czech Republic…wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment