Friday, February 9, 2024

Prague – The Museum of Communism

February 3rd, 2024 

I flew back to England from Uganda, had a quick turnaround of two days at my aunt’s place in Weymouth, and then flew to Prague.  Back in October I visited a couple of my paragliding suppliers and now I wanted to see two more of them who are located in the eastern part of the Czech Republic (also known as Czechia).


Ahoi Praha!


One super long and steep escalator out of the subway.  It was almost vertigo inducing as the advertisement posters you see are square to the escalator, not gravity...

I had one full day to hang out in Prague, a city that I visited once before, way back in 1995 while backpacking through Europe after university.  I remember having a fantastic time in this city back then, so I was excited to return.  One memory that sticks out from that visit was walking/stumbling back to the hostel with some British guys I had met late one night, and we couldn’t cross the famous pedestrian-only Charles Bridge as it was closed for some reason with some very bright lights on the far side of it.  It meant that we had to walk an extra 2-3 kilometres on a detour.  We later found out that Tom Cruise was there, shooting the Mission Impossible Movie…okay, not a bad reason to close the bridge.

 

Arriving at the airport, it was easy to use public transport to get into the city by taking a bus and then the subway, followed by a ten-minute walk to the hostel I was staying at called the “Czech Inn”.  It was a large hostel, almost more like a hotel.  My room had only two bunkbeds and there were only two other guys staying there.  Jeremy was a young guy from Michigan, on his first real trip abroad and he was only on day one.  He asked me a few questions about traveling which I was happy to answer.  I could tell he was still getting over the “big trip jitters”.  The other guy I didn’t interact with much.  His name was Mo, probably short for Mohammed as he was an Egyptian living in Dubai.  They were both good roommates to have as they were quiet and considerate.


The streets of Prague:


A church called 

The Prague train station:

The Narodni (National) Museum:

Looking down the street away from the museum:

St. Wenceslas Statue:



A tower called Prašná Brána:



Just a random flying reindeer...

The next day I planned on visiting the Museum of Communism.  The Czech Republic and Slovakia used to be one country known as Czechoslovakia which was formed in 1918, after the first World War.  In 1948, the Communist Party seized power of the country, turning it into a satellite state for the USSR.  There was a period of political and social liberalization in 1968 known as the Prague Spring.  Not liking this, a half a million Warsaw Pact troops were sent by the Soviet Union to invade Czechoslovakia.  There were some protests including some self-immolations, the most famous one being Jan Palach’s suicide.  Communist rule would remain until the non-violent transition of power during Velvet Revolution in 1989. 



Karl Marx, one of the architects of Communism.


The Stalin Monument, 15 meters high and built in 1955 but demolished in 1962.

Yay Communist Workers!

Some cool Commie mopeds:

The Cold War:

Cool camera that turns into a sniper gun.

Some kind of spy display with the floor of this room on the wall.

Czech police riot gear:

The museum.

I ended up spending about 2½ hours in the museum.  I had planned to visit the National Technical Museum but it was almost 2 pm and I hadn’t had lunch yet.  I decided that food was the priority and that I was already “museumed out”.  I found an Irish pub called the Dubliner and the place was packed.  Sure, it was Saturday, but it was the middle of the afternoon!  Ah, but there was Premier League Football on the TVs and a little later, a game from the Six Nations rugby tournament featuring England versus Italy.


The Dubliner Irish Pub:


Fancy sculptures on some building...

After some not terribly great chicken wings and a few pints of IPA, “Irish Pale Ale” and not “India Pale Ale”, I went wandering around for a while, soaking in the awesome architecture of this city before returning to the hostel.  In the morning I will be catching a train to Frydlant nad Ostravici, a small town south of the industrial city of Ostrava, on the east side of the country.  One of the suppliers, Sky, is located there and the other, Macpara, just 40 kilometres away.



The National Museum at night.

The Bazilika Ludmily near my hostel:


See you at the end of the week Prague!

1 comment: