Monday, October 13, 2014

The Final Witness

September, 2013 – April, 2014

In late September 2013 Naomi who was visiting from Israel again accompanied me to court.  The courtroom was almost empty and none of my lawyers were present.  The prosecutor told the judge that Sachin was on leave so I was rescheduled for a month later.  The following date I was the only one in the gallery and at the front of the courtroom were three clerks and one other lawyer.  Once again Sachin was a no show and the judge said that a warrant would be put out for him to appear next time.  A warrant for the top cop who fabricated the case against me, yet another head shaker.  Mid November produced another WTF moment.  This time Sachin wasn’t there because he had to attend a meeting for the security for an upcoming Goan film festival...yes, that sounds more important.

On December 5th I was amazed to actually see Sachin at the courthouse.  But don’t count your chickens till they’ve hatched Dave.  Our case was called up at the start of the proceedings and then we were told to sit down again.  Sachin had the audacity to sit behind me in the gallery and whisper into my ear: “Today’s the day that David goes free.”  Yeah right, I guess you don’t know how this supposed judicial system works here Sachin, there’s no way it will be finished today.  I tried to minimize my interaction with him.  Other Indians have told me that this is the best strategy with all policemen.  Don’t be mean to them and don’t even be nice to them, just try to be neutral and invisible if possible.  He asked whether I was still paragliding and I just nodded yes, not looking back at him.  Another case was called up first to hear a witness as there were five people in custody so they received priority.  By the time the cross examination was completed there was no time left in the morning session.  Come back next year please.

In mid January, now into 2014 (remember, I was arrested in December, 2010), I arrived at the courthouse but the gates to the parking lot were locked shut and no vehicles were inside.  I went to another entrance and a couple of lawyers were coming out and they explained to me that the court was closed for the day due to a Muslim holiday.  Huh?  Didn’t they know this ahead of time?  Why was I scheduled for court today?  Supposedly this Eid is based on the lunar cycle and is only determined 4-5 days prior.  C’mon, we know the lunar cycle folks.  I called Caroline and she told me to come back to court the next day to get a new date.  Returning to the courthouse, as I walked up the stone stairs I saw a piece of paper stuck to the wall next to the “No Spitting” sign (which I think is hilarious that they need to have).  The sheet listed all of the statutory holidays for 2014 and the Muslim holiday was on it.  At the top of the paper I saw that it was printed in late December.  It sure would have been nice for my lawyers to just give me a call and save me a couple of trips to Mapsa, but that would have been the logical thing to do.

The next date the public prosecutor was sick.  The one after that, no judge as he was involved in some process of appointing a new judge to a higher court so in fact the NDPS court hadn’t been functioning for a couple of weeks.  In March once again Sachin didn’t show and my next date wasn’t for seven weeks, at the end of April.

Okay, this is bordering on the ridiculous but finally, on the tenth time that I had gone to Mapsa for Sachin’s testimony it finally happened.  It took almost two hours and the first hour seemed incredibly wasteful and inefficient.  Sachin took the stand and answered a few questions such as his name and rank.  Then the judge proceeded to dictate Sachin’s written statement in the charge sheet to the stenographer.  Couldn’t this have been typed up by a clerk beforehand?  Sachin got impatient and left the stand to sit down.  Then he was in and out of the courtroom.  I thought “What a dick!  I’ve been waiting three years for this, at least you can be patient for an hour!”

A new stenographer took over on the computer and within a couple of minutes he managed to crash Word and couldn’t reopen the file.  Yikes, had we just lost the past hour’s work?  Caroline piped up to the judge and said that I was a computer engineer and perhaps I could help.   Judge D’Costa asked if I would come up so I crossed the courtroom, passed in front of Sachin and then stepped up to the seemingly sacred judge’s desk and sat down at the computer.  It felt strange to be on the other side looking down on the gallery, albeit a pretty empty one.  Within a minute of me starting to investigate the problem a courthouse technician arrived and recovered the file.   Nonetheless I think it scored me some brownie points with the judge.

One of the other senior lawyers of my firm, Raju, performed most of the cross examination.  As usual, I couldn’t hear all of the proceedings nor could I follow some of the technicalities that Raju was exposing.  Afterwards I spoke with Caroline to see how she felt it had gone and she was pleased.  Then who walked up, well Sachin of course.  He extended his hand so I was obliged to shake it.  He once again asked whether I was still paragliding.  He then flipped back and forth between English and Konkani talking with Caroline and he said that the paragliding actually was an illegal activity.  She mentioned something about Goa Tourism but he shook his head indicating that it wasn’t a sanctioned sport.   Oh yeah Sachin, and by the way, committing perjury like you did for the past two hours is slightly illegal too!

Once again I tried to minimize my interaction with him and soon he left and I hope never to see him again.  I told Caroline that I didn’t think he harboured one bit of guilt about lying about the amount of charas I had which had caused me to spend 3½ years stuck in Goa.  I bet he never thought about it once.  Oh well, good riddance Sachin Navekar.

No comments:

Post a Comment