Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The First Few Months of Waiting

January-March, 2011

After I was released from police custody I was told by my new lawyer Caroline that there would now be a waiting period for the police to officially file their “charge sheet” with the NDPS (Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances) court in Mapsa.  This would likely take about 3 months but incredulously there is no set time limit since I was out on bail.  If I was still in custody then there is a 3 month time limit.  Surely they should make a provision for foreigners on bail whose lives are in a state of limbo.  Locals can just go about their business waiting for this glacially paced judicial system. 

The first and potentially longest step is that the “stuff” was sent off to the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) in the Goan capital of Panjim for testing.  Obviously if it wasn’t actually hash then there was no point in continuing with a trial.  The lawyer told me that I was lucky in that any other narcotic except for charas (hash) would be sent to Hyderabad where it can take up to a year for them to test it!  I think they need some more staff.  She thought the FDA in Goa would take about 3 months to process it.  Even this seems ridiculous, it should take five minutes...just roll one up, smoke it and if you feel a little funny, it’s charas!

So now I had to wait.

My bail conditions stipulated that I must remain in Goa unless I had specific permission from the court allowing me to travel within India and that I must check in at the Pernem police station once a month.  On January 22nd, 2011 I drove a scooter to the police station for my first of many monthly sign-ins.  The officers there had a difficult time finding the sign-in book and in the end they gave me a different one to the one I had signed each day for the first week that I was out of custody in December.  The officer opened the book to the appropriate page and put it down on the desk in front of me.  I signed and was starting to close the book to pass it back when the policeman grabbed it.  I got the sense that he was trying to hide something and then I saw the cover of the soft back book...and can you believe that it had on it...Bugs Bunny and some other Looney Tunes characters on it!  What a joke.

The day after I was released I spent the entire afternoon in the same restaurant where I had been busted writing out my ordeal of the past week on my laptop.  During the course of my mental dump I couldn’t help but notice that at some point while I worked away, every single table lit up a chillum, a pipe or a joint.  What?  That doesn’t seem fair.  If the cops wanted, they could fill the cells every day, but it seems that I was the sacrificial lamb for the police to set their tone for the upcoming tourist season.  Again, just like a bird dives down into the sea to scoop up a fish from a school, one guy’s got to end up in the belly, and I’m the one in the belly.

I had resolved not to smoke any more charas while staying in India but that didn’t last long.  I was constantly being offered a joint seeing as I was now a bit of a local celebrity.  Obviously it wasn’t wise for me to tempt fate so I kept declining but late one evening after celebrating a birthday of a new friend, the restaurant was closed and the lights turned off.  I was sitting at a table lit by some candles with a couple of the wait staff and a few other foreigners.  A fairly full moon bathed the beach in light and there wasn’t anyone to be seen.  One kitchen staff worker had rolled this cannon of a doobie and passed it to me to light.  I contemplated the situation and it seemed very safe and in a strange way I felt like I deserved it after all I had gone through.  We could easily see if anyone was approaching the restaurant and my hut was just 30 meters away out the back way.  So I threw caution to the wind and started to light the joint...but I lit the wrong end, I lit the filter!?!  Incredible.  I had just spent a week in jail for charas possession and I couldn’t even light a bloody spliff!  Yup, the police had really found the drug kingpin here.  The worker fixed my mistake and passed it back to me.  After about five minutes we did spot a couple of people walking down the beach, in our general direction.  “Okay guys.” I said, “There’s no need for me to be here, I’m off to bed.”   I began to walk through the dark restaurant and whack!  I had slammed my foot into a concrete planter and fell flat on my face.  Wearing only flip flops I did some nice damage to my right foot, perhaps breaking my little toe.  Wow, add injury to insult!

Seeing as I hadn’t seen much of India outside of Goa yet, I applied in late January to obtain permission to travel to Hampi and Panchgani on two separate trips.  Hampi is a popular place for backpackers with many temples and crazy rock formations while Panchgani is a hill station, a good place to paraglide.  The lawyer’s fee was 3000 rupees ($60).  As instructed by the advocates I booked return train tickets for these trips in order to show to the court that I had intention of returning.  Well the judge happened to be on holiday until the end of the month so I had to cancel my tickets and rebook for a later date.  In the end, my application was granted for Hampi but Panchgani would have to be sorted out when I returned to Goa.

After a fantastic trip to Hampi, I went to the lawyer’s office to sign my application for the Panchgani trip.  Four days later, once it had initially been processed by the court, I was told to meet one of the junior lawyers of the firm I have hired at the courthouse in Mapsa at 5pm.  I hadn’t been to the courthouse before so I was curious to see it.  It’s a large two storey dingy white brick building in desparate need of a coat of paint.  Inside wasn’t any better with dull sun faded yellow walls and cracks in the plaster.  I met Vijeta upstairs in a short hallway that split and led to two different courtrooms.  She passed me the application and told me to take it to the police station to get it signed by the inspecting officer (I/O) Sachin Narvekar, the guy who had falsified the reports of the amount that I was caught with.  Then I was to return it to the lawyer’s office in Mapsa.  What Vijeta did not explain to me was that all of this had to be done before 10am the next day so that it could receive the final approval from the court.  What?  How can this legal system be so monolithically slow in most respects and then demand this kind of rapid action?

Needless to say, the application had to be resubmitted and once again I cancelled my train tickets for Panchgani.  Thankfully the Indian Rail company doesn’t charge much for these cancellations.  I eventually received permission for the trip but not after having scootered two times to Pernem and five times to Mapsa, both around half an hour away from Arambol Beach in opposite directions.

On arriving to Panchgani, I went to the police station to check in as instructed by my granted application from the court.  Due to slim timing, I didn’t have the latest copy of the application but a copy of the previous one which was identical but with older dates on it.  Well this threw the police officer for a loop.  He spent about ten minutes searching through his tourist sign-in book, which isn’t for cases like me but is in fact for tourists staying in guesthouses who are registered with the police.  I told him twice that I wouldn’t be in that book as I had just arrived the night before but then thought I’d better shut up and let him do his useless search.  He then said I hadn’t been in Panchgani last week (d’uh) but wouldn’t let me sign in any book.  He told me that I would have to have Andre the manager at the Eco Camp (where I was staying) bring a copy of my passport and his form to be officially signed in.  I told this to Andre when I got back there and filled in the form, gave him a copy of my passport and visa and he went into the police station later that morning...problem solved.

Unfortunately in Panchgani I crashed my paraglider and ended up spending 11 days in a small hospital in a town called Wai (pronounced “why”!?!).   I had compressed a disc in my back and there was no way that I would be able to take the 2 hour taxi and 5-6 hour train ride back to Goa for some time as I couldn’t even get out of bed at this point.

Oh India, you seem to really love me.  Not only is your judicial system keeping me here but now I was physically confined to this hospital bed.  Even though I was in considerable pain from the injury, this was also another very low point for me emotionally.  I felt cut off from “my world”.  I had no phone or Internet access with which to communicate to friends and family.  My only one life line was being able to send and receive SMS messages on my phone from Naomi in Israel whom I had met in Arambol a few months before, and that meant a lot.

I spent a few days trying to get a hold of the lawyers while lying prone in the hospital.  In the end I was instructed to get a letter written up by the doctor and fax it to them.  I was called up the next day by the lawyer’s assistant Rebecca at 1:50pm and she told me that this letter had to be in their hands by 3:30pm in order to be taken to the court.  Well what to do?  I can’t get out of the hospital bed and there’s no doctor paging system...  I finally got a hold of the doctor and got the note prepared but then we found out that the fax machine at the lawyer’s office didn’t work!  What?  So we emailed it instead.  Another crazy hurry up and stop.

Once out of the hospital I remained in Panchgani recuperating for week before being physically strong enough to endure the trip back to Goa.  Once back I checked in at the Pernem police station and yet again I signed the “cartoon” book...too funny.  Nice official documents guys!

During April I continually asked the lawyers if they had heard anything about the charge sheet.  After numerous calls and text messages, I finally received this reply from Caroline: “The officer told me the analysis report was not received.  He said he would file immediately on receipt.  We can write a letter to FDA department if you will take it to Panjim asking whether analysis is done and if not why not.”

In India there’s an Act called the “Right To Information”.  Essentially anyone can write a letter to a government body and they have 30 days to reply to the inquiry.  I scootered to Mapsa and Vijeta showed me the letter she had drafted up.  I was planning to physically take it to the FDA office in Panjim but she suggested that she could just mail it and it would be there tomorrow.  I hadn’t been to Panjim and wasn’t looking forward to trying to find the FDA in a likely confusing Indian city so I agreed to her idea...which turned out to be a silly thing to do...more on that later.

Trying to exercise all of my options, I called Karen at the UK Consulate to see if she could put a little pressure on the police to hurry up with the charge sheet.  She spoke to Sachin and found out that they were still waiting on the test results from the FDA.  Unfortunately the embassies cannot do a whole lot in this situation.  They cannot influence the local judicial system or get any special treatment for you...as their “helpful” little pamphlets tell you.

Around this time I found out from Caroline that the lawyer’s fees for my case, which is considered an “intermediate” amount (100 grams to 1 kg of charas is considered an intermediate amount) would be 150,000 rupees or about $3000.  Okay, no small change but thankfully I could handle that.  She also told me that their office shuts down for the month of May due to the hot and sticky weather that precedes the monsoon season.  So I might as well get out of Dodge...I worked on a new travel application to go up to Manali in Himachal Pradesh, in the north of India, for the month of May, hoping that when I returned that the Charge Sheet would be ready...again, how naive Dave.

No comments:

Post a Comment