Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Busted

December 7th, 2010
* Note that some names may have been changed.

“You want to roll one first before we get ready for dinner?” Daniel asked me in his French accent as I sat down to join him at the candle lit table on the sandy beach an hour after sunset.

“Sure.” I responded, not really reflecting on the fact that this would be the first time in the two weeks that I had been on Arambol Beach in north Goa that I would actually be rolling a joint out in public.  Up until this point I had played it safe and reserved these activities to the safe confines of my beach hut which was only about fifty meters away from the table we were sitting at.  I had met Daniel and his girlfriend a week prior in this restaurant, The Olive Garden, which had become my regular hangout spot. 

Arambol Beach is one of many beautiful sandy beaches that line the tiny state of Goa, the smallest in India.  Lots of foreigners travel many miles to soak up the sun, play in the surf and relax.  One can take yoga classes, have a cheap massage and of course there’s a certain amount of partying although Arambol is one of the quieter spots.  I chose to visit to Arambol due to the fact that one can paraglide on a small ridge by the beach.

After my first few days in Goa it became obvious that along with imbibing alcohol, many visitors partake in smoking hashish, known in India as “charas”.  On the first night that I arrived at the beach I met some young Norwegian women in the Olive Garden who were kind enough to invite me to their table for an evening of drinks and laughs while playing cards.  I was a bit surprised that a few of them openly smoked joints in the beach restaurant but this seemed to be norm, at least later on in the evenings.  Actually, over the next few weeks I witnessed, and smelled, people smoking at all times of the day.  I decided however that I would be cautious and only smoke outside my hut, away from the beach...except this one time, and that would prove to be a big mistake.

On this evening, the sun had set, the stars were out and Daniel, Marie and I sat at a candlelit table out on the beach.  I was carrying with me a copy of “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” that I was trying to finish reading before heading off to my next Indian destination as I desperately wanted to shed whatever weight I could as my pack, with my paraglider was already plenty heavy enough.  I complacently began to roll a joint on the table, slightly shielded by my big book.  All of a sudden someone lurched out from the dark, stamped their hand down on the rolling paper and turned away from the table yelling.  I was flabbergasted.  “What the hell are you doing?” I thought.  I looked up incredulously at the culprit.  It was an Indian man in his late twenties wearing some raggedy looking clothes and a toque (a woollen cap) which seemed a bit unnecessary as we were sitting comfortably in our shorts.  After a second or two I realized that he was a plain clothes cop, yelling back for some other officers and my heart began to race and my face felt flush.  I tried to pull the rest of the hashish out of my shorts’ pocket but wasn’t able to do it fast enough before he saw me.

Two other men appeared, also in civilian clothes.  “Stand up!” one of them barked.  “Empty your pockets on the table.”  I complied, placing my wallet, my passport and the small lump of hash that I had just purchased ten minutes earlier on the table.  Daniel was instructed to do the same but he was clean and they left Marie alone.  Ten grams is called a “tola” and is the standard, smallest amount sold in Goa, like a case of beer, and this is what I had in my possession.  I had been idiotic in not returning to my hut and disposing of the majority of the hash prior to sitting down and starting to roll. It was just silly complacency. 

“Where did you buy?” one officer asked me in slightly broken English.  My heart was racing and it probably didn’t help that I’d had imbibed a three large beers already at this point in the evening.  What do I say?  The guy in question was actually standing just ten feet behind me; he was one of the waiters of the restaurant.  I had asked one of the Norwegian women from the first night where they had sourced their hash and this waiter had obliged them.   He wasn’t a big dealer of any sort, but just helped out some customers while supplementing his meagre wages from waiting tables.  Over the past few weeks I had become friends with this young, slim yet slightly muscular twenty year old from the northern state of Himachal Pradesh with slicked back hair and a thin, wispy goatee.  I wasn’t going to rat him out.

In my 39 years on this planet I’ve had very few run-ins with the police.  My worst one was when I was 16 and some friends and I were caught climbing on the high school roof of the small prairie town I grew up in.  We were intoxicated but didn’t catch any flak for that, just the trespassing.  Each of us ended up with having to do a day’s community service as our punishment, mine being vacuuming out the ventilation ducts of the school.  Other than that, I can only claim having a couple of traffic tickets, both back when I was in my teens and early twenties.  So dealing with police is not exactly one of my fortes.

“I bought it from an Indian guy in his mid-twenties, in the afternoon on the main street.”  I figured being vague was the best bet.

“What did he look like?”

“Umm, brown skin, brown eyes, black hair...and, uh, blue jeans.”  I threw in that last attribute in an attempt to loan some credibility to my fable.

“Okay, let’s go and see if we can find him.  If we do, you won’t be in trouble.”

I picked up my wallet as the officers confiscated the charas and my passport.  As I sheepishly left the table with the officers, I turned back to Daniel and told him to enjoy my almost untouched beer, words that I guess haunted him for the next week as he knew that it could just as easily have been him who had been apprehended since he often rolled and smoked spliffs on the beach.  We walked the few hundred meters down the beach to the main road, passing by many beachside restaurants.  Strolling up the road I swivelled my head from side to side in my fake search for a non-existent dealer.  As we rounded a corner Manu, the manager of the Olive Garden, passed by on his scooter.  He slowed down, asking me if I wanted a lift as he was unaware of my situation.  “I sure would like a ride.” I thought but obviously had to decline his kind gesture.

By this point I figured that the cops would be asking me to pay some baksheesh which is the Indian term for a bribe which is not only used for escaping from trouble with the police but also in any and all dealings with various levels of government and sometimes even private industry.  Want a wedding certificate quickly?  Pay some baksheesh.  Want a phone line installed this week?  Pay baksheesh.  I would later find out that policemen even pay baksheesh to their superiors in order to get the tourist beach beats as they could then supplement their meagre wages with bribes from foreigners...sad.

I figured I would pay my “fine” of a couple thousand rupees ($40) and be on my way back to the restaurant.  It didn’t really cross my mind that I should ask them if I could pay to be set free, I assumed they’d ask me when they were ready.  In my home country attempting to bribe a policeman would land you in more trouble so I didn’t want to initiate the deal myself.  But then all of a sudden we were at a small police outpost, a ramshackle two or three room building tucked away from the main street that I wasn’t even aware existed in Arambol.  Oh shit.

The inside of the outpost resembled a dishevelled cadets’ dormitory than a small police station.  Clothes were strewn about.  Stacks of tattered papers occupied most level surfaces of the shoddy tables and cabinets.  I was instructed to sit down on one of the cots while we waited for some police officer to arrive from a small town called Pernem, about 20-25 kilometres away.  Half an hour later a tall man in the standard light tan brown uniform of the Indian police force entered the building.  Not surprisingly he was sporting a thick moustache and small but pronounced pot belly, both common attributes of many Indian men.  I would later learn that the two silver stars on his epaulette indicated that he was a sub-inspector.  After briefly conversing with the arresting constables and examining the booty they had collected from me, he approached me and began asking me some questions: “What is your state? (meaning my nationality)  Where are you staying?  Where did you buy this charas?  What did the dealer look like?” 

I repeated what I had told the other policemen but then he asked a new question: “Do you have any more stuff back in your hut?”  I felt an instant flush of heat run over my face as my heartbeat sped up.  I did.  But such a small piece, that’s why I had bought some more.  What do I say?  What are my rights here?  Can they just search my place?  In those split seconds I opted for honesty, perhaps that will build some trust with him.

“Yes I do.  I have a small amount of charas in my hut.”

“How much?”

“About the size of a pea” I responded as I held up my forefinger and thumb to demonstrate the minuscule amount I was talking about.

“Okay, let’s go take a look” he said as he motioned me to stand up.  I was led out of the outpost with the three arresting constables and the officer.  We cut through to the beach on a darkened path to the hut I was staying in behind the Olive Garden restaurant.  I nervously unlocked the door and all five of us crowded into the abode.  I pulled the tiny bit of hash out of a drawer and gave it to the sub-inspector.  “Oh, that’s nothing” he said which gave me a bit of relief.  Strangely they took a few minutes to figure out that my pack of Drum tobacco was indeed tobacco.  Haven’t you guys seen rolling tobacco before?  Then the officer asked me for a piece of paper and pen and began to sketch the layout of my hut, even noting the type of plywood that was used for the floor.  Huh?  What’s that for?

“Pack a small bag.  Take your laptop and anything else of value” the officer informed me, as my heart sank in my chest realizing I’d be spending my first ever night in a jail, and it would be an Indian one.

As we began to walk back to the outpost, one of the officers took a detour off to another restaurant on the Beach called Coco Loco.  I saw him briefly interact with some tourists at a table and then he joined back up with us on the main road as we climbed into a police jeep with me sitting in the back on a bench with two constables sitting across from me.  As we began to drive on the dark windy roads, the cop that had made the detour on the beach passed a small red velvet bag with a draw string up to the sub-inspector.  He opened it and out fell a small chunk of hashish, just a bit smaller than the one I had.  What?!?  Why didn’t you arrest that person?  Or better yet, why didn’t I get the option to pay?

The drive seemed to go on forever and I had no clue where we were going.  In reality it was only 25 minutes but my mind was racing.  What was in store for me now?  One of the officers in the back could see my consternation and kept reassuring me that everything would be alright.  Easy for you to say buddy...easy for you to say.

The jeep pulled up to a dimly lit one storey building.  A small set of stairs led up to the front balcony which ran the full length of the decrepit structure.  The main entrance was a set of old wooden double doors through which I was led inside by the officers into a large rectangular room.  Immediately facing me was a large metallic desk with an old swivel chair on the opposite side and a long bench running along the front of it.  Along the walls were wooden shelving units stacked with folders with tattered pieces of paper sticking out.  A few officers, some in uniform, some not, glanced up at me as I walked in before returning their attention to the cricket match playing out on the small TV beside the doorway.

“Sit.”  That was the only instruction I received for the next hour.  I sat with my back to the desk, looking out towards the open doorway.  My focus alternated from the cricket match on the television to the silent street outside lit by a single faint street light.   I watched as a couple of cows pushed at each other with their foreheads in an attempt to establish their dominance.

Eventually the sub-inspector reappeared from another office and sat down in the chair behind the desk.  “Don’t worry” he began.  “This happened to an Israeli foreigner a little while ago and after one night he was released and very soon after he was back in his state.”  His state?  I wondered, oh right, his country.  “What you had is not a big deal.”  He started filling in the seemingly never ending paperwork for my arrest.  He collected some details from my passport but then peppered me with a barrage of questions:  What is your father’s name?  What is your address?  What is your profession?  How long are you staying in India?  Where did you buy the charas?

On the last question I repeated the simple story that I had told the arresting officers.  The sub-inspector, whose name I could see on his tag on his shirt was Sachin, scribbled down all of the details as he proposed that tomorrow we would head back to Arambol to find the dealer, and perhaps others.  Umm...okay, well that will be a waste of time.

He left again for at least an hour and I lied down on a bench on the other side of the room in a state of disbelief.   Staring up at the ceiling I was a bit disturbed by what I saw.  There were hundreds of colourful strips of paper 3-4 inches long and about an inch wide hanging down.  They formed a canopy of an orange swastika on a white background with red and green trim around the perimeter.  What the hell is a swastika doing here?  I hadn’t been in India long enough to know that this sign, which many from the west simply equate with the evil Nazi regime, is in fact a religious symbol and has been for thousands of years and ironically means “to be good”.  I wish I knew that at the time.

One of the junior officers asked if I needed to use the toilet.  He led me through a door at the backside of the room down a covered L-shaped walkway.  He unlocked one of two jail cells on the right hand side, pushed the creaking door open and motioned to a door at the back of the cell where I would find the Indian style squat toilet; little did I know at that time that this room would become my home for the next eight days.

When Sachin returned he asked if I was hungry and I sure was.  It was almost 11 o’clock now, three and a half hours after I was arrested and I hadn’t had dinner.  A junior officer was sent off to fetch some food and he returned with a few plastic bags.  Inside one bag was some vegetable fried rice and the other was a soupy red sauce of chicken chow mein although there was no sign of any noodles.  There were no utensils and knowing that in India it was customary to eat with your bare right hand I figured no spoon or fork was forthcoming.  I fared okay with the rice but how I was to deal with the runny contents of the other plastic bag was beyond me.

It was after midnight and three policemen began playing cards to quell their boredom on a table near me.  Seeing as my mind had been racing for the past four hours about my dire situation, I decided to watch their game to try and distract my brain.  It worked for a while and although the guy who kept winning was being friendly to me and trying to explain the game, I couldn’t help my thoughts from falling back to the evening’s events and from wondering why I was being made to sit around in the station’s main room for hours on end.  Fatigue was catching up on me and one guy instructed me to lie down and sleep.  I was reluctant but eventually heeded his advice.  Not ten minutes later, near 2am, I was woken up and led to the cell for the night.  This little catnap now made it all that more difficult to fall asleep in the locked up stinky bare and dirty cell...damn, it’s going to be a long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment